• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Morne Morkel

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Tentatively i'd say this series he has turned the corner, if he drops back into "hot & cold" mode i'd be shocked TBH. The current series againts ENG is clearly his most consistent series since IND 08 i'd say.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Morkel finishes the series with 19 wickets @ 21.
Tremendous effort. Will not go as far to say that he has come of age, but it was definitely an extremely strong performance - really earned those wickets and outperformed even a rampant Dale Steyn, in this Test.

Debris

International 12th Man
Tentatively i'd say this series he has turned the corner, if he drops back into "hot & cold" mode i'd be shocked TBH. The current series againts ENG is clearly his most consistent series since IND 08 i'd say.
Hope I am wrong but I see a bit of Steve Harmison in Morkel. Great when he is on and terrible when he is not.

kingkallis

International Coach
Meaning 4 tests in a row of consistency?. If so during his famous 7 tests in 2004 vs WI & NZ.
Ahhh Windies and Kiwis? At that stage he was World's No.1 bowler...check the ratings! But thats all....after that a massive decline threw him out of the team!

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
As I had said before...he has tremendous potential and all the makings of a top fast bowler..This series will give him a lot of confidence..and if he can maintain his fitness and pace..he will be very consistent..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ahhh Windies and Kiwis? At that stage he was World's No.1 bowler...check the ratings! But thats all....after that a massive decline threw him out of the team!
He actually wasn't - he was merely #2 at the end of that 7-match spell. He then went to #1 later, and remained there for a whole 1 Test, but that Test had a 3-month break in England's activity after it, so the impression was gained that he was the most in-form bowler (which BTW is what the rankings rank, not best) for ages.

He was not dropped from the team until 2007/08, nearly 4 years after the end of that spell (which lasted from March to June 2004).

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not a sin, and IRL I think nothing at all of it, but not swearing very often in posts is just a little bit that staff members can do for the site that's a piece of piss to do and makes a miniscule positive impact.

James never feels comfortable if he's constantly reading staff members' posts which are full of ****s, and I'm not surprised.
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2129243-post3611.html

Someone didn't get the memo :laugh:.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Will be interesting to see how Morkel performs in India. I don't expect him to do too well. This is his first tour and subcontinent pitches can be a tough one for a young bowler. If he does decent enough, i.e. averages 28-33, I will be elated for him.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Will be interesting to see how Morkel performs in India. I don't expect him to do too well. This is his first tour and subcontinent pitches can be a tough one for a young bowler. If he does decent enough, i.e. averages 28-33, I will be elated for him.
Second tour of India.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The slow pitches won't be as much of a problem for Morkel as they are for other bowlers. He bowls a good length for them and gets enough carry that edges won't repeatedly drop short of the keeper and slips (the one thing I despise about cricket in the subcontinent).

I can see him doing very well here if he bowls well- but with Morkel that's always a big if.