• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohammad Yousuf vs V.V.S Laxman

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
This is what you are looking for: Gooch holds his own with Bradman !!! | It Figures | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo

Ricky Ponting, in a 52-test span between Test # 1595 (Saf vs Aus 15/03/2002) and Test # 1819 (Aus vs Eng 1/12/2006) accumulated 5853 runs at an average of 74.09 (90-11-5853-74.09-23 hundreds). His average improved from 45.09 to 59.97.
And a similar article for bowling performances: Barnes and Muralitharan at par | It Figures | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo

And the thread on CW discussing these couple of articles: http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/48919-best-performance-streaks.html

Last edited:

miscer

U19 Cricketer
Best averages in 80-plus innings | Cricket News | Global | ESPN Cricinfo

i think the most impressive in the top 10 is
* i set qualification at 2500 when i was looking at it in statsguru
1) bradman
2) sobers (74 while next best is 60something in that period)
3) barrington (65 to 53)
4) tendulkar (65 to 54)

solid list of top batsmen ever too lol!
edit: at at the risk of sounding ignorant, who is barrington (heard his name a lot) and why isn't he talked about more frequently? dude seems like a beast however you break it down.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
edit: at at the risk of sounding ignorant, who is barrington (heard his name a lot) and why isn't he talked about more frequently? dude seems like a beast however you break it down.
Barrington has a reputation as a grinder, and as a successful but limited batsman. The prevailing opinion, I think, is that he's one of England's best ever players, but never really displayed the level of batsmanship that the likes of Hammond, Hobbs or Hutton did.

I suppose the modern equivalent would be someone like Jacques Kallis, for example.

Last edited:

amanuensis

U19 12th Man
Barrington has a reputation as a grinder, and as a successful but limited batsman. The prevailing opinion, I think, is that he's one of England's best ever players, but never really displayed the level of batsmanship that the likes of Hammond, Hobbs or Hutton did.

I suppose the modern equivalent would be someone like Jacques Kallis, for example.
Did he not start out as a rather more "flamboyant" one, before changing his approach to batting?

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Did he not start out as a rather more "flamboyant" one, before changing his approach to batting?
That sounds more like Len Hutton, who was quite the dashing opener early in his Yorkshire days, but I stand to be corrected if it applies to Barrington as well.

EDIT - actually, I think you might be right. I knew he was dropped early in his career but it seems that after being dropped he remodelled himself into a far less attacking player.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Barrington is someone we've actually discussed quite a bit on here before, specifically with regard to why his Test record - which, from a statistical point of view, puts him in the discussion for the title of the second greatest batsman ever - is far greater than his reputation. It's not just that he's rated below the likes of Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Hammond and Hutton, but he's frequently ranked below contemporaries like May and Cowdrey who have hugely inferior statistical records.

PEWS actually raised an interesting point and hit the nail on the head IMO, noting that Barrington - as opposed to most of the great batsmen - played the vast majority of his Test career at his peak, as opposed to being picked too early and/or playing on too long, which statistically inhibits so many other players. Not that this should be held against him too much - he still averaged nearly 60 over 79 Tests and 13 years.

amanuensis

U19 12th Man
Barrington is someone we've actually discussed quite a bit on here before, specifically with regard to why his Test record - which, from a statistical point of view, puts him in the discussion for the title of the second greatest batsman ever - is far greater than his reputation. It's not just that he's rated below the likes of Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Hammond and Hutton, but he's frequently ranked below contemporaries like May and Cowdrey who have hugely inferior statistical records.

PEWS actually raised an interesting point and hit the nail on the head IMO, noting that Barrington - as opposed to most of the great batsmen - played the vast majority of his Test career at his peak, as opposed to being picked too early and/or playing on too long, which statistically inhibits so many other players. Not that this should be held against him too much - he still averaged nearly 60 over 79 Tests and 13 years.
That's an interesting argument. The thing that stands out for me about him is the disparity between his test & first class averages - it's massive!

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
That's an interesting argument. The thing that stands out for me about him is the disparity between his test & first class averages - it's massive!
Yeah for sure, that's something that's come up in discussion as well. It's like his FC record shows him "more accurately" as a player overall, whereas his Test record shows him just at his very best. Still, I bet there are a lot of batsmen who wish they could claim that!