• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Modern era ATGs?

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Imo atg per Country:

Australia

Bradman
O'Reilly
Gilchrist
Warne
Miller
Lillee
McGrath
Chappell

England

Hobbs
Knott
Hutton
Barnes
Sutcliffe
Hammond
Trueman

West Indies

Headley
Lara
Sobers
Viv
Ambrose
Marshall

South Africa

Pollock
Kallis
Steyn
Donald

Pakistan

Wasim
Imran

India

Sunil
Sachin

New Zealand

Hadlee

Sri Lanka

Murali

Numerous players on the cusp including but not limited to: Ponting, Border, Waugh, Davidson, Lindwall, Grimmett, Barrington, Underwood, Javed, Garner, Holding, Sanga, Waqar, Walcott, Dravid, etc
Some strict omissions in there!

Slifer

International Captain
Some strict omissions in there!
You are correct. Players like the following do merit a spot as atgs:

S Waugh
Border
Sangakkara
Barrington.

By the time they're done I believe the following will join this group:

Cummins
Rabada
Ashwin
Bumrah
S Smith
Root
Kohli (if he remembers how to bat again)

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!

S Waugh
Border
Sangakkara
Barrington.

Cummins
Rabada
Ashwin
Bumrah
S Smith
Root
Incredibly harsh on Miandad. Better than Barrington IMO.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Barrington a bit underrated imo. Is he possibly the biggest away track bully in test history?

Home: 46 matches, 3347 runs @ 50.71, 6 centuries
Away: 36 matches, 3459 runs @ 69.18, 14 centuries

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

S Waugh
Border
Sangakkara
Barrington.

Cummins
Rabada
Ashwin
Bumrah
S Smith
Root
You forgot Pant today

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Never really appreciated or valued Watling enough. Just didn’t feel like an ATG for some reason but he stacks up extremely well against the competition.

Wonder where Bairstow will end up in the keeper-bat list. Worse keeper but his batting record while keeping isn’t miles off Watling.
I didn't notice Watling's most of career actually. Just when I started noticing, he retired.

Johan

U19 12th Man
Joe Root and Steve Smith are already there , Williamson need to significantly up his away record to Perhaps get there , Kohli is an ATG ODI batsmen but is just a Great Test Batter.

Johan

U19 12th Man
thoughts on Vernon Philander? 220+ wickets @22.3 , 22 avg in Nz/eng , 22 in UAE and 30 in Aus , failed in Ind and Sl , don't think he ever got there personally though but have seen some people say he did.

Socerer 01

International Captain
thoughts on Vernon Philander? 220+ wickets @22.3 , 22 avg in Nz/eng , 22 in UAE and 30 in Aus , failed in Ind and Sl , don't think he ever got there personally though but have seen some people say he did.
Too much of a green track bully playing for one of the strongest test sides in those times and possibly in history. Has a lot of gaps in his record to be considered one

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
Steve Smith is the only current player that is already an ATG. Maybe James Anderson as well although that one is a bit tricky. His career since 2010 hasn’t been much different than Shaun Pollocks 12 year test career. Maybe Shakib as well?

Kohli, Root, Williamson, Cummins, Bumrah, and Rabada have all done very well but they need to maintain their current career and away averages for another 4-5 years.

Babar looks like he could definitely become an ATG as well and will probably end up with a better record than all of the Fab 4 except Smith. Pant also looks like he could become an ATG.

Flem274*

123/5
Never really appreciated or valued Watling enough. Just didn’t feel like an ATG for some reason but he stacks up extremely well against the competition.

Wonder where Bairstow will end up in the keeper-bat list. Worse keeper but his batting record while keeping isn’t miles off Watling.
Yeah I get it. If you told me in 2009 how crucial he would be to NZ the next decade I would have lolled.

His whole schtick was taking all his catches and just not going away when batting, and tended to make big runs when NZ were ****ed. He couldn't downhill ski to save his life. Maybe his ton against Zimbabwe on recall? We tried to lose some of those games during that period but I think that was the Bracewell bail out test.

He was a very effective player, and you loved him if he was on your team, but other guys in his own side tended to be at the forefront of your mind until he was on 70* (200) and your match was being ruined.