• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitchell Starc v. Vernon Philander

Who is the better fast bowler

• Total voters
A rather mismatched comparison because Philander is not a fast bowler but a medium pacer who barely touches 134km, but if you are going to make comparisons philander has a test record that would make bowlers envious in any era of cricket.

MediumFast

Cricket Spectator
I watched Philander to NZ all-out for 45 live at Newlands. It was ridiculous. Should have bought three beers instead of just the one before the start of the innings.:laugh:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
part of the coming of age process at Cricketweb is taking a stance which is undoubtedly wrong, and then trying to defend it while everyone tells you how incredibly wrong you are. It's our own version of the Trial By Fire.

I feel like this is oblongballs' coming of age.
Nope, he's had lots of previous stances that are undoubtedly wrong...

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Scarily Philander almost did not even get picked for the Test team, though he had been dominating for 3 or 4 seasons at FC level. He eventually got the nod because Gary Kirsten decided SA needed extra batting depth at the time and Philander was a better batsmen than any other choice.... of course it turned out that Philander was also a better at bowler than most other bowlers in the world as well. It took way too long for him to be picked for the SA team.

SeamUp

International Coach
Scarily Philander almost did not even get picked for the Test team, though he had been dominating for 3 or 4 seasons at FC level. He eventually got the nod because Gary Kirsten decided SA needed extra batting depth at the time and Philander was a better batsmen than any other choice.... of course it turned out that Philander was also a better at bowler than most other bowlers in the world as well. It took way too long for him to be picked for the SA team.
Ìt was picking him for the limited overs team so young and him looking so poor which seemed to 'effect' his getting picked sooner I would imagine.

Not just his bowling game but also his batting has always been suited to the longer version and dropped quite a few chances in the field if I remember - one off Shaun Pollock and that was never nice to be on the end of as a fielder. :D

So he was on a hiding to nothing.

But like he says, it has probably worked out well. Kudos to Gary Kirsten & Vern.

I remember all the talk around him during u19 week and his SA u19 days. Then Peter Kirsten just throws him into the fire in a Super Sport Series final as a 18 year-old for his FC debut. Brilliant : Final, SuperSport Series at Cape Town, Mar 31-Apr 4 2004 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/cricket/proteas/now-the-hard-works-starts-for-philander-1172311

Last edited:

MediumFast

Cricket Spectator
Ìt was picking him for the limited overs team so young and him looking so poor which seemed to 'effect' his getting picked sooner I would imagine.

Not just his bowling game but also his batting has always been suited to the longer version and dropped quite a few chances in the field if I remember - one off Shaun Pollock and that was never nice to be on the end of as a fielder. :D

So he was on a hiding to nothing.

But like he says, it has probably worked out well. Kudos to Gary Kirsten & Vern.

I remember all the talk around him during u19 week and his SA u19 days. Then Peter Kirsten just throws him into the fire in a Super Sport Series final as a 18 year-old for his FC debut. Brilliant : Final, SuperSport Series at Cape Town, Mar 31-Apr 4 2004 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/cricket/proteas/now-the-hard-works-starts-for-philander-1172311
Was pretty good already.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Philander fairly comfortably for mine. At first glance you would think of the two bowlers Starc would be much more dangerous with the new ball but Philander is clearly better on that score.

Starc this Test has been a pretty good summation of him as a Test bowler. On the plus side he is great at mopping up the tail, he can bowl jaffas that very few other bowlers can and his ability to bowl around the wicket to right-handers is exceptional. But on the negative side he is erratic in line and length and hasn’t bowled well with the new ball. In fact, he’s been pretty poor with the new ball throughout this series.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Starc on the subcontinent and a road. Philander everywhere else. Philander is clearly the better bowler right now but Starc has the ability to take wickets in situations most bowlers can't. Philander is more condition dependent, though far less so than Anderson (for example).

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interestingly, this thread was posted in a response to a discussion of whether Starc would make the SA team. I was arguing that Starc would probably get picked over Philander not because he's a better bowler, but because he has attributes that get players picked - 150kph left arm quicks don't come along every day.

If you were a selector looking to pick either Starc or Philander it would be very tempting to pick Starc, even though he is an objectively poorer performing quick.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I am Australian, but even I have to go for Big Vern on this one. Superb length, nagging movement, you very rarely get any loose stuff from him. Would much prefer Starc in limited overs cricket, but as a Test bowler Philander is one of the very best.

MediumFast

Cricket Spectator
If you were a selector looking to pick either Starc or Philander it would be very tempting to pick Starc, even though he is an objectively poorer performing quick.[/QUOTE]

Good point. But this would really depend on the conditions. If its at Newlands, Adelaide, Hobart, Trentbridge etc. it would be Philander any day. Everywhere else maybe Starc could offer a little more in theory.
An attack of Steyn, Starc and Rabada does sound impressive with Steyn and Rabada offering more than enough control.

Stefan9

International Debutant
If you were a selector looking to pick either Starc or Philander it would be very tempting to pick Starc, even though he is an objectively poorer performing quick.
Good point. But this would really depend on the conditions. If its at Newlands, Adelaide, Hobart, Trentbridge etc. it would be Philander any day. Everywhere else maybe Starc could offer a little more in theory.
An attack of Steyn, Starc and Rabada does sound impressive with Steyn and Rabada offering more than enough control.[/QUOTE]

An Attack of 3 bowlers each averaging 22 sounds much better then having one weak link imho.

Stark is good but Vern is better considering the fact that Philanders number are nearing ATG status,infact I don't see any bowler in the world replacing a Steyn,Philander,Morkel and Rabada attack....but if there is one out there its probably Cummins if he stays fit and puts in consistent performances,