• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mike Hussey to retire at end of summer.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Expected him to play forever. He may well have with no family commitments.

Some will harp on about his record overseas; however what a fantastic career for someone who debuted post 30. Gives hope for every first class journeyman.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
It's pretty awful timing for him to retire with the year of cricket ahead of us, but a big chance for someone to step up and replace him. Not sure anyone is capable of it, though.

Been a very fine player who has played some important knocks. I think he'll probably be remembered more as an outstanding one day cricketer, but one of Australia's best test batsmen throughout a pretty difficult time.

BeeGee

International Captain
Blimey. My second cricketing shock of the day.

The timing of this announcement is bizarre. Surely they could have delayed it for a couple of days out of respect?

watson

Banned
Here's one for the statisticians.

Clarke and Watson are both injury prone, so it's quite possible that they might both miss a Test match. That being the case, would the combined total of the number of Tests played by the Australian team be the lowest since WSC and/or the 19th century?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Big shock, you will miss his experience in the ashes. Cracking player but good to see a guy go out on top after a brilliant home season.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
WTF? This is bloody surreal. Wow.

Dunno the reason etc. but should've stayed till this Ashes really. Jeez.

Ruckus

International Captain
Does anyone know the reason for this? I'm baffled. His form is awesome, he looks as enthusiastic as ever? What on Earth?

Sounds as though he has simply just had enough. So surprised by this. If anyone was to go out on top, playing as well as ever, I wouldn't have thought it would be Mr Cricket.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Wasn't planning to head up to watch the Test after what just happened, but **** it, I'm there come rain/hail/shine now.

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah fair enough I guess.

So no Ponting, no Hussey. Safe to say we are in about the 10th consecutive transition period.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Does anyone know the reason for this? I'm baffled. His form is awesome, he looks as enthusiastic as ever? What on Earth?

Sounds as though he has simply just had enough. So surprised by this. If anyone was to go out on top, playing as well as ever, I wouldn't have thought it would be Mr Cricket.
Captaining WA next year.

Blame Langer!

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
we decide to be bros and not sack him when we could have and this is how he repays us argh what a ****

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Hussey knows he is useless away from home and would have been dropped after two big overseas tours.

Nah seriously it is good to see a player put his family ahead of cricket and the national team, for once.