• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke

longranger

U19 Cricketer
Michael Clarke did a great job in captaining a team that had finally declined from ATG status. What Border started, and Steve Waugh and Ricky Ponting continued finally declined and Clarke was expected to keep things running. He suffered from not having ATGs like Warne, McGrath and Gilchrist (to name a few) that made winning everywhere that much easier. Let's be clear - his time is up, and if he didn't retire, he would have been sacked. Doesn't take away the fact that he was a great Australian captain.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
lol @ Symonds. what a bloody wahhh baby. Got disciplined for being a drunken bogan dickhead by a bloke with more cricketing ability than he ever had, and is still upset about it.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
wasnt expecting Buchanan to pipe in with that rubbish. means warne will pipe in with his own rubbish too. ugh.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Can you ****s include links when you're talking about things people have said. Thnxs

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Symonds has an axe to grind, Haydos too (considering he didnt' want him captain).

Buchanan's though, that is so unprofessional and poorly timed its not funny.

91Jmay

International Coach
I don't know that Hayden's comments are all that off, seems to be more nuanced than the screaming headline.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Can you ****s include links when you're talking about things people have said. Thnxs
Having borne witness the general level of discourse on CW by some folks of late, I have to wonder why GIMH's fishing for links to pics of people's arses.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Some of the character assassinations by Clarke's former team-mates and coaches are downright disgraceful. Symonds I can ignore because he's got particular beef with Clarke supposedly and isn't the most reasoned bloke at the best of times.

But for Matthew Hayden to do so, a guy who had his share of critics, is hypocritical - I'm sure he would have been very fired up if the end of his career was punctuated by people saying he was past it, a bad influence etc despite his weight of runs and the things he contributed to his country. Same with Buchanan, I'm sure every time Warne launches a personal attack he feels it personally, and wonders how a bloke who led a side to 16 wins straight can cop that sort of thing.

I guess it's an indictment on our 'what have you done for me lately' style of media. Less than 12 months ago, people are falling over themselves and rightly so to say what a magnificent individual Michael Clarke is for the way he handled the Phil Hughes passing, how brave he was how dignified he was. He led his side to victory in the World Cup, scoring big runs in the final and all was well in the world. Now they're sticking the shovel in because he's nicked out a few times? Very average.

I usually hope Australia loses but I hope he scores the runs he needs to average 50 in Tests, walks away at 3-2 and is given the due reverence that is deserved of a guy who scored 8500+ Test runs, tonned up on debut, had one of the most incredible single-year efforts in 2012 and yes had his moments, but stood up in the darkest period's of his country's cricketing history and showed what sort of man he is.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
It goes back to the old adage of nothing succeeds like success. When he wins 5-0, there cannot be a better captain than him, and when the Ashes is lost, you wlll hear the Symmonds and Haydens.

Ultimately it is all about what's easy. It's easy to say these things now.. I doubt Hayden would bring up that incident of Clarke refusing to field after the 5-0 or the World Cup win, just like the Chappells and Warnes have shut up about Clarke being the greatest captain of all time.

What I have come to realize, especially in today's crazy cacophony of voices and opinions is that in time, they die down and your achievements remain. Clarke will have a bigger place in Australian cricket history than Hayden and Symmonds for winning 5-0 and a World Cup.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Some of the character assassinations by Clarke's former team-mates and coaches are downright disgraceful. Symonds I can ignore because he's got particular beef with Clarke supposedly and isn't the most reasoned bloke at the best of times.

But for Matthew Hayden to do so, a guy who had his share of critics, is hypocritical - I'm sure he would have been very fired up if the end of his career was punctuated by people saying he was past it, a bad influence etc despite his weight of runs and the things he contributed to his country. Same with Buchanan, I'm sure every time Warne launches a personal attack he feels it personally, and wonders how a bloke who led a side to 16 wins straight can cop that sort of thing.

I guess it's an indictment on our 'what have you done for me lately' style of media. Less than 12 months ago, people are falling over themselves and rightly so to say what a magnificent individual Michael Clarke is for the way he handled the Phil Hughes passing, how brave he was how dignified he was. He led his side to victory in the World Cup, scoring big runs in the final and all was well in the world. Now they're sticking the shovel in because he's nicked out a few times? Very average.

I usually hope Australia loses but I hope he scores the runs he needs to average 50 in Tests, walks away at 3-2 and is given the due reverence that is deserved of a guy who scored 8500+ Test runs, tonned up on debut, had one of the most incredible single-year efforts in 2012 and yes had his moments, but stood up in the darkest period's of his country's cricketing history and showed what sort of man he is.
So good.

burr

State Vice-Captain
So, is this the MJ Clarke tribute thread? There doesn’t really seem to be one. Well, I’d like to pay my respects. Bye bye MJ Clarke. It’s been a pleasure to have supported a team which you were captain of and a great player in. Your debut century is the stuff of Australian cricket folklore - I was studying in the university library and will long remember it on the ABC comm. Your shots dancing down the wicket and over the top against spinners were some of my very favourites. You will be missed.