• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Martin Crowe vs Virender Sehwag

Who was the better test batsman?

• Total voters

jcas0167

International Debutant
I've done a complete 180 on Crowe. Used to thing he was the bees knees, but he has a very poor record in India, Sri Lanka ( and South Africa ), so for me he clearly does have some weakness against spin. Sehwag actually never had such a big weakness in any country barring New Zealand, despite however much **** people talk about his technique. He's also a revolutionary opening Test batsman, who brought the right aggression that was needed for his Indian side. Took it to Pakistan on almost every occasion too. :(
I don't think Crowe did have a weakness against spin though? He scored a test century in Sri Lanka against Murali. A test century in Pakistan in 1990 when they had Abdul Qadir and averaged 61 for the series (which is probably formed a big part of Akram's praise for his ability to play reverse swing). The year before he had a 174 in NZ against Pakistan with Qadir. Had a test 98 and a first class century against Australia with Warne. In his four tests against Australia 92/93 and 93/94 he got out to Warne once.

He only played 3 tests in India right at the end of his career just before his chronic knee injury forced him to retire. I vividly recall at least one dismissal for LBW that hit him on the thigh. He was basically playing on one leg in the test series he played in South Africa too.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Correct Crowe was fine against spin helped by his ability to quickly pick-up length, fast feet & he was an excellent sweeper.

Crowe was also as quick running between the wickets as anyone I've seen bar Glenn Phillips in his younger years. Used to play on the wing for Auckland Grammar's 1st XV.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Correct Crowe was fine against spin helped by his ability to quickly pick-up length, fast feet & he was an excellent sweeper.

Crowe was also as quick running between the wickets as anyone I've seen bar Glenn Phillips in his younger years. Used to play on the wing for Auckland Grammar's 1st XV.
He was quick between wickets but Dean Jones was quicker.

Grant Fox and Mark Greatbatch were in the same 1st XV.

J_C

U19 Captain
Sehwag. Crowe has gone from being under-rated to being hilariously over-rated on CW where he only seems to be judged based on his prime.

Both of them light years ahead of mediocrities like Anwar though.

Flem274*

123/5
there have been a lot of crowe's but very few sehwag's.
Sehwag. Crowe has gone from being under-rated to being hilariously over-rated on CW where he only seems to be judged based on his prime.

Both of them light years ahead of mediocrities like Anwar though.
lol at this random shot at anwar.