• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Males banned from watching the women world cup qualifiers in Pakistan

Fusion

Global Moderator
:blink::blink::blink:

And a "blind eye" is "turned"?????????
The parties with alcohol and what not are private parties, but everyone in the neighborhood knows what's going on. As for dating and girls in skirts, it's in open public and no one says a word. Keep in mind this is restricted to certain parts of the city, the upscale and rich variety. The more upscale the neighborhood, the more tolerant the attitude towards women's clothing and dating. But even in general, the big cities have a more relaxed attitude towards women. It's not uncommon for girls to wear western clothes and be out and about with guy friends, even in the more conservative neighborhoods (though with a bit more caution about what type of western clothes and physical interaction with their male counterparts).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But alcohol's illegal in Pakistan, isn't it?!?!?!

I mean, we get private parties over here, too, doesn't mean if the cops hear heroin and cocaine are being used that the perpetrators won't get arrested.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I mean, we get private parties over here, too, doesn't mean if the cops hear heroin and cocaine are being used that the perpetrators won't get arrested.
Actually drugs are very common at parties here in the US even though they're illegal. In the same manner, alcohol is quite common at parties in Pakistan.

Fusion

Global Moderator

Alcohol is illegal for Muslims, non-Muslims can still get it. As for alcohol being used in parties, it's just a fact of life. The police ignore it, mainly due to the fact that they're corrupt and can be bought off. Plus, they're not going to go house-to-house making alcohol raids. Even in the United States alcohol is consumed freely by minors at high school parties all the time. It's illegal for minors to drink, doesn't mean that it's not a common occurance.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Actually drugs are very common at parties here in the US even though they're illegal. In the same manner, alcohol is quite common at parties in Pakistan.
But... isn't it rather harder to disguise your use of alcohol than use of hard drugs?

I wouldn't know - I've never, ever touched any form of drugs other than alcohol and the yearly painkiller.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Even in the United States alcohol is consumed freely by minors at high school parties all the time. It's illegal for minors to drink, doesn't mean that it's not a common occurance.
:lol::lol::lol: It happens over here too, y'know! :lol:

Fusion

Global Moderator
But... isn't it rather harder to disguise your use of alcohol than use of hard drugs?

I wouldn't know - I've never, ever touched any form of drugs other than alcohol and the yearly painkiller.

For the most part no one is trying to disguise anything. Just like on Friday nights in United States, most teenagers are freely consuming alcohol without fear of being caught. The cops have bigger things to worry about.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For the most part no one is trying to disguise anything. Just like on Friday nights in United States, most teenagers are freely consuming alcohol without fear of being caught. The cops have bigger things to worry about.
The point I was making was that you can't drive by a house and know it's minors consuming alcohol.

I usually can drive by a house and know that someone is consuming it.

Fusion

Global Moderator
The point I was making was that you can't drive by a house and know it's minors consuming alcohol.

I usually can drive by a house and know that someone is consuming it.
Ah, I see. Like I said though, the police generally ignore the upscale neighborhoods and what's going on behind closed doors.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That's cause they're genereally using "proper/fancier" Urdu. The day to day Urdu language spoken by the average Pakistani is quite similar to Hindi.
Ah...cause if the documentary didn't say Lahore, I would have though it was any Indian city.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Well I know that, but I can barely understand the Urdu Ghazals, for some reason.
Haha.

The ghazals use a lot of the Urdu words not used by your everyday Urdu speaker. They do a very good job of exploring the deep Urdu vocabulary. There are many words I don't even understand.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No.

But I can tell a party when I see one.

And, more significantly, I can tell a house which is holding a party.

The music, lights, loudness, etc. usually give it away.
I thought you meant general alcohol consumption, not parties. Nevermind.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I thought you meant general alcohol consumption, not parties. Nevermind.
Haha. :laugh:

No, I can't tell whether the old men are enjoying their ale in the little thatched cottages while their wives indulge themselves in a spot of sherry.

(Sounds like an outrageous stereotype, I know. But if you don't work in an off-licence you'd be astounded at how often it actually does apply)

But yeah - I normally can spot a party a mile off. ;)

FRAZ

International Captain

Ok let me tell you the Basant (kite festival of Lahore) preparation of some guy in my neighborhood
Jack Daniels (Walayati Sharab ) : 25000-40000 rs (about 10 bottles)
Lion (Local Brand by Murree Brewery) : 20 Bottles = 13000 rs
Charas ( Hashish ) = 8 puttian (strips ) 100 rs each
Tawaif (stage dacers to dance on the roof top ) : 25000 rs
Lighting system ( search lights to point at the sky to make the white kite visible) = 1500 rs
Kites , Strings , tapes = 15000 rs
Kebob , meat , fish + edible items = 1000-1200 rs
Loud speakers to put on the music at the loud sound = (already have it at home but any ways 12000 rs !!
Other entertainments for the guests = 4-5000 rs

And brother thats an open neighborhood and do you think that state cannot find it out !!!
The guy is a sure loser

Last edited: