• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mahendra Singh Dhoni is spectacular!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
Well there is Murray now.
I can remember the days when English tennis used to be a joke.

There was an Englishman, a Canadian and a Scotsman...

Oh, wait....

adharcric

International Coach
Sanz said:
I cant believe people have the guts to compare Dhoni with Gilchrist as a batsman or even as a Wicket keeper. Gilly has been part of two world cup winning teams, scored consistently in every part of the world, has maintained an equal avg. at both home and away.

Dhoni has fumbled a chance in almost every match he has played, has no clue when keeping to Bhaji isn't even considered good enough to play in tests whereas Gilchrist has kept Warne in both test and ODIs quite efficiently over last 7-8 years and replaced one of the best keepers of 90s Ian healy.
i dont know who compared dhoni to gilchrist. the thing is, when you have a wicketkeeper-batsman loaded with talent, you'll want to assess him in comparison to the best (gilchrist). right now, dhoni is not even close to gilchrist, but you can't blame anyone for saying that he might have the potential to become some kind of gilchrist for india in the future, based on the potential displayed in the 183* knock. gilchrist and sangakarra are far ahead of dhoni as accomplished batsmen, but dhoni has loads of talent and potential.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
thierry henry said:
Yeah, I still don't really like watching Sehwag bat either though. I think I am just jealous. Whenever I tried to play an attacking shot in my cricketing career it got me out, whereas these days it seems like a lot of the top batsman can hit slogs and mi***** all over the place and get away with it. I don't know if it's always been like this; perhaps I am idealising the (recent) past, but today's top batsman just seem to be a lot looser than before. Many of them just look like number 8 or 9 batsman who don't get out.
Sounds like you have shot envy.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
adharcric said:
i dont know who compared dhoni to gilchrist. the thing is, when you have a wicketkeeper-batsman loaded with talent, you'll want to assess him in comparison to the best (gilchrist). right now, dhoni is not even close to gilchrist, but you can't blame anyone for saying that he might have the potential to become some kind of gilchrist for india in the future, based on the potential displayed in the 183* knock. gilchrist and sangakarra are far ahead of dhoni as accomplished batsmen, but dhoni has loads of talent and potential.
That would be as preposterous as comparing Pietersen with VVS Laxman.

Dhoni has a long way to go and after all he is yet to make his test debut.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
http://forum.cricketweb.net/showpost.php?p=635329&postcount=45 :-O

adharcric

International Coach
Sanz said:
alright that's fine, he compared dhoni's statistics to those of gilly and sangakarra, nothing terrible in that. i don't think he was claiming that dhoni can challenge gilchrist as the best keeper-batsmen right now though, and he states that dhoni has done well in his short career thus far but has a long way to go. consistency and experience are the key factors. dhoni's stats are better than those of gilchrist and sangakarra in terms of the average, but they dont take into account the long span over which the latter two have excelled. once dhoni improves in that aspect, a true comparison can be made.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
The two best ODI innings I've seen are Sanath Jayasuriya's 189 and Saeed Anwar's 194. I didn't get to see this but I'm not sure if it would have topped those for me.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
After today's showing, Mahendra Singh Dhoni has confirmed that he is not just a passing talent, today he has shown that he can make a mockery of any attack, any time he wants. The way it looks, there isn't even a question of form. So I ask you, will this guy ever deteriorate? At this time it certainly doesn't look that way.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Armadillo said:
After today's showing, Mahendra Singh Dhoni has confirmed that he is not just a passing talent, today he has shown that he can make a mockery of any attack, any time he wants. The way it looks, there isn't even a question of form. So I ask you, will this guy ever deteriorate? At this time it certainly doesn't look that way.
Certainly a very impressive start to his career. I'll happily wait until he performs outside of the subcontinent, though. I mean, so far he has played at home, toured Pakistan, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. 34 games sounds like a lot, but he's experienced relatively little in terms of touring other nations so far. I think it's inevitable that he will drop off somewhat, the question is when and how much.

Fair to say though that along with Pietersen and Hussey he's one of the most exciting finds in recent times in ODI cricket.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dhoni has a long way to go and after all he is yet to make his test debut.
He has played in tests. He replaced Karthik as the Indian WK some time ago.

In any case, Dhoni has loads of potential but thats all it is right now. Gilchrist is far ahead of the rest, by a mile. Its unfair to Dhoni and unfair to Gilchrist to compare the two.

adharcric

International Coach
Right now, I can say with confidence that Dhoni is a very good player. But he can only become world-class after doing well against the English and Australian attacks. Still, he's handled Muralitharan and Akhtar and blasted numerous others so far.

adharcric

International Coach
Isn't it ridiculous, you'd have thought if any Indian would disturb the Aussie dominance at the top of the rankings it would be one of the all-time legends in Tendulkar or Dravid. But Dhoni, take that! Yuvraj isn't far behind either ...

DhonisOnslaught

Cricket Spectator
I just read Miandad's comment about Dhoni, he said that the impression that Dhoni is a slogger is wrong as he's very clever and correct batsmen.

The fact that Dhoni is third on the ICC table of batsmen speak volumes of his brilliance, in such a short time its near impossible to achieve so much.Dhoni is really a world class player and i think in a years time he will become the best wkt batsman in the world.