• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mahendra Singh Dhoni is spectacular!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Pratyush said:
Wisden online did a list of the greatest one day innings one or two years back before it was merged with cricinfo when they bought cricinfo but I cant find it.

Maybe its time for us to look at it (if some one can find it).
Well there's that, Saeed's 194, Kapil's 175*...

Isolator

State 12th Man
GladiatrsInBlue said:
That innings was the greatest OD innings ever played by a cricketer :D
Actually, it was the greatest innings ever played in any form of cricket. In fact, quite possibly the greatest sporting performance ever, and very close to being at the pinnacle of all human achievement.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Isolator said:
Actually, it was the greatest innings ever played in any form of cricket. In fact, quite possibly the greatest sporting performance ever, and very close to being at the pinnacle of all human achievement.
Not only that, he was so cool under pressure that the innings has neutralised global warming, proved the existence of Cod and established first contact with a non-alien civilisation.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
While Indian fans, expectedly and understandably, are overjoyed with Dhoni's amazing innings and may even go a bit overboard in assessing his future potential as a batsman (I had cautioned against this) why do we need to go to the other extreme and mock (therby underplaying in effect) Dhoni's performance in this innings and in his short career so far.

Lets look at this youngster objectively rather than through coloured or irritated-by-colour lenses.

- He averages 49.7 in ODI.s against Sangakarra's 34.9 and Gilchrist's 36.4
- If one was to argue(and justifiably at that) that the averages in a short career would be greatly affected by a big unbeaten innings like his last one, we could look at his figures prior to this innings and find he still was averaging 37.5 above his senior counterparts​
- His strike rate stands at 108.9 against 95+ of Gilchrist and 73* of Sangakarra
- Even before this innings his strike rate was 104+ nearly ten runs above Gilchrist's​
- He has scored 2 centuries in 21 innings of which only 8 are between numbers 1-5 in the batting order. Sangakarra has 103 innings in the top order for his 4 centuries. Gilchrist has 12 hundreds in his 196 innings as an opener. BTW, even Gilchrist hasnt managed a hundred(top score 77) batting at 6 or below so this is clearly an important factor when we look at the aggregate runs or the centuries people score in ODI's.
- He already has the highest odi score by a keeper AND the 4th highest too and he is yet to complete 12 months at this level.​

Clearly, Gilchrist and Sangakarra are proven high quality batsmen whose performances have stood the test of time but equally surely, Dhoni has done remarkably well in his short career and unless something goes dramatically wrong we may be witnessing an exciting lower order batsman which we should cherish and welcome rather than obliquely make fun of. He has done nothing to deserve that and for those who watched his innings yeaterday (I have seen it thrice already) it was something they will cherish. It was the innings any batsman (call him by any Indian, Australian or West indian name that you prefer) would have been proud to have played.

If Dhoni does nothing more in his career he will still be remembered for this knock. Not just because it contained so many sixes or that it was such a huge hundred but because of the CLASS of his stroke play.

Believe me, I dont go into raptures over batting displays that easily.

He did play a few shots, very few indeed, that made one bite one's lips, but for most of the time it was exquisite driving with the straightest of bats.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well seeing as how Pietersen is already rated a better batsman than VVS Laxman at test level by some forum members, despite playing one test series, I hereby proclaim that IMO Dhoni is a better batsman than not only Adam Gilchrist and Kumar Sangakkara, but also Andy Flower.

I'm obviously just kidding, but wacky theories and overexaggeration goes both ways, just one side is mocked more than others on this forum. :)

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS, if it came across that I mocked his achievement, it was unintentional - I even suggested to Neil that Dhoni ought to have been made our 'Cricketer of the Month' on the basis of it.

If, however, it came across that I mocked the reaction to Dhoni's achievement, I consider that a job well done..

Isolator

State 12th Man
luckyeddie said:
Not only that, he was so cool under pressure that the innings has neutralised global warming, proved the existence of Cod and established first contact with a non-alien civilisation.
Who is this Cod person, anyway?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
This is all very well but is he any good at keeping wicket? Or is he a Geraint.
He is not a great wicket keeper (and not a lousyone either) but nor is Gilchrist by any stretch of imagination all protetations of his fans apart.

The best wicket keeper batsman in the world from this point of view is Kumar Sangakarra. A very good keeper and a top class batsman who could get into any world test side on the basis of his batting alone.

Isolator

State 12th Man
luckyeddie said:
SJS, if it came across that I mocked his achievement, it was unintentional - I even suggested to Neil that Dhoni ought to have been made our 'Cricketer of the Month' on the basis of it.

If, however, it came across that I mocked the reaction to Dhoni's achievement, I consider that a job well done..
Yeah, same here. I wouldn't mock him, he'd kick my ***.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Isolator said:
Who is this Cod person, anyway?
Well spotted. He's a character from the Anglers' Hymn. It goes something like:

"Oh, Cod, our help in ages past, our Tope for years to come..."

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pratyush said:
But no one can take this knock away from the jat who drinks 1 litre of milk a day!
That honestly is crazy :p I wonder if he has flavoured milk.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
SJS said:
He is not a great wicket keeper (and not a lousyone either) but nor is Gilchrist by any stretch of imagination all protetations of his fans apart.

The best wicket keeper batsman in the world from this point of view is Kumar Sangakarra. A very good keeper and a top class batsman who could get into any world test side on the basis of his batting alone.
Jolly good. Looking forward to seeing some of the fellow in a few months time. I can see the back-page tabloid headline already - "Dhoni Kebabs England!" (sorry).

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:

:D
I understand LE.

I was equally irritated when Flintoff first came of the scene and the English supporters heralded new world standards for all rounders. Indian supporters (some of them at least) are as irritable in their exaggeration of new found heroes as any nation devoid of sporting heroes (and sporting success) would be - be it England or India :p

Our sporting heroes are precious because they are so scarce :D

Look at South Africans they call Nicky Boje a spinner but one needs to sympathise with them - dont you think :)

adharcric

International Coach
honestbharani said:
I thought adharcric's rankings were based on ODIs only.
yes they were, how would i rate a guy as a top 3 test keeper-batsmen who hasnt even played in a test match.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I cant believe people have the guts to compare Dhoni with Gilchrist as a batsman or even as a Wicket keeper. Gilly has been part of two world cup winning teams, scored consistently in every part of the world, has maintained an equal avg. at both home and away.

Dhoni has fumbled a chance in almost every match he has played, has no clue when keeping to Bhaji isn't even considered good enough to play in tests whereas Gilchrist has kept Warne in both test and ODIs quite efficiently over last 7-8 years and replaced one of the best keepers of 90s Ian healy.