• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Loss art of reverse swing

jonbrooks

International Debutant
With the roads being prepared for ODIs bowlers can no longer expect assistance from the pitch. So if you're failing to get anything from the wicket your only option is to do something in the air.

Whatever happened to the booming inswinging yorkers of the 90s and early 2000s? Seems like everyone was doing it back then. Aside from Johnson and Starc I can't think of anyone else who successfully bowls reverse swing these days. It seems to have become a lost art.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
One ball at each end ruins chance of that. Ball doesn't get scuffed enough to start reversing these days.
Good point, I forgot about that. IIRC the Ws claimed the ball needed about 30 overs of scuffing to get it to reverse. New balls from either end would put pay to that.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
With the roads being prepared for ODIs bowlers can no longer expect assistance from the pitch. So if you're failing to get anything from the wicket your only option is to do something in the air.

Whatever happened to the booming inswinging yorkers of the 90s and early 2000s? Seems like everyone was doing it back then. Aside from Johnson and Starc I can't think of anyone else who successfully bowls reverse swing these days. It seems to have become a lost art.
Lots of TV cameras and a more educated audience and administrators will do that.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Weren't you NZers arguing that two new balls has helped bowlers so much that the balance between bat and ball is better than ever? Atleast that's what I heard during the world cup from you blokes. On eexpensive series and you're bemoaning the lack of reverse now?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Weren't you NZers arguing that two new balls has helped bowlers so much that the balance between bat and ball is better than ever? Atleast that's what I heard during the world cup from you blokes. On eexpensive series and you're bemoaning the lack of reverse now?
Condition dependent; its what everyone has been saying the whole time, really.

When it swings, 2 new balls is good. When it doesn't, 2 new balls is bad.

An interesting tactic could be to let teams decide whether they want 1 or 2 balls. Or maybe for the team winning the toss to decide for the match (ICC if you read this, wipe your memories; hypothetical thought not actual suggestion).

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Wasn't me.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Tell us more about your thoughts on chucking. We haven't heard enough from you regarding that particular aspect.
Since you asked so nicely.

It is a blight on the game just like match fixing or using PEDs. Many a record attained by chucking should be annulled ... same as when an athlete is caught doping.