• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Less European representation

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Imagine a WC where a team gets a dodgy penalty given against them and walks off the park, threatening to go home.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Haha. India has done this time and again. Gavaskar, then in the test series in SA and then in Australia. Consistently dire. At least we don't cheat like Aussies though, tbf.

Daemon

Imagine a WC where a team gets a dodgy penalty given against them and walks off the park, threatening to go home.
They've already done this when they weren't allowed to play barefoot back in 1950

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It must have happened at some stage, even if not about a dodgy penalty.

France vs Kuwait in 1982 springs to mind, although I'm not 100% sure that the Kuwaitis actually walked off.

EDIT
Argentina vs England in 1966 is a much better example. Their manager took them off after Rattin had been sent off.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
EDIT
Argentina vs England in 1966 is a much better example. Their manager took them off after Rattin had been sent off.
Just googled this

It was reported in Argentina that the German referee, Rudolf Kreitlein, said that he had sent off Rattín because he did not like how he had looked at him,[11] while British newspapers cited the official as having given the reason as "violence of the tongue," despite the referee speaking no Spanish.
It was 'a different time'

vcs

LOL, no chance of the FIFA giving penalties against India after the BCFI has had their way with them.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Just googled this

It was 'a different time'
iirc Rattin had already been booked for repeatedly arguing with the referee but kept showing dissent.
So it was two bookings rather than a straight sending off.
And apparently the team had been warned after a similar performance in their group game against West Germany.

Maybe the ref just felt he should just stfu instead of trying to officiate the game.
Could have done with some of that last night.

EDIT
This is pretty good.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...-cup-quarter-final-england-vs-argentina-live/
The sending off is after 35 minutes.

Last edited:

Burgey

I’d have thought a 1960s German would have been quite sympathetic to Argentina, given how many of his countrymen immigrated there in the mid-40s.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
For illustrative purposes I thought I'd look up England's record against CONCACAF, Asian and African teams at world cups.

England are pretty much the Newcastle United of international football. Usually there without threatening to seriously contend, won nothing since Jesus was in shorts, loyal and easily mocked following normally seen blubbing in highlights montages, couple of near misses in the 90s that made everyone cream their keks & a succession of shytehouse managers. Not one of the first water.

v African teams - P7 W4 D3 L0
v Asian teams - P1 W1 D0 L0
v CONCACAF teams - P6 W3 D2 L1

Doesn't prove anything in and of itself, but unless we come up against any non Yurp or South American team not fielding a Haitian ringer, we seem to be pretty much golden.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
For illustrative purposes I thought I'd look up England's record against CONCACAF, Asian and African teams at world cups.

England are pretty much the Newcastle United of international football. Usually there without threatening to seriously contend, won nothing since Jesus was in shorts, loyal and easily mocked following normally seen blubbing in highlights montages, couple of near misses in the 90s that made everyone cream their keks & a succession of shytehouse managers. Not one of the first water.

v African teams - P7 W4 D3 L0
v Asian teams - P1 W1 D0 L0
v CONCACAF teams - P6 W3 D2 L1

Doesn't prove anything in and of itself, but unless we come up against any non Yurp or South American team not fielding a Haitian ringer, we seem to be pretty much golden.
Naming them isn't a bad trivia quiz actually. Obviously no cheating allowed.

7 sounded a lot for Africa but I got there once I realised that Tunisia is in Africa and remembered our draw against Nigeria in 2002.
Who on earth did we ever play from Asia?
And I'm struggling with CONCACAF after Panama and our 2 games against USA. Oh, and Mexico in 1966. Now I'm struggling.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
You mentioned them yourself earlier in the thread!
That would be Kuwait then. Actually I did remember them after posting - a pretty drab 1-0 win, that's easily forgotten. And I didn't really think of them as part of Asia, although obviously that's where they'd have to qualify from.

As for CONCACAF, there's our match against T&T in 2006 but I don't know who the 6th match was against.
EDIT - I'm there now. The highlight of our last campaign. tbf I didn't watch any of it as I was at wpjunior's cricket match.

Last edited: