• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Less European representation

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think African and Asian qualification has some games that have consequences for both regional tournaments and the WC. It'd be terrible for Europe because the four-year cycle means that if you missed out on the Euros you would have no competitive games for almost 3 years. A strong Euros performance gets you a better seeding in qualification though, so it's not completely irrelevant.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Should have global qualifying, it would piss all the big clubs off so I see no downside

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I think the gap's widened, if anything.

Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Panama especially have no place in a global tournament. Costa Rica look to have gone backwards too.

I don't think anyone could realistically argue that Italy, the Netherlands or Chile wouldn't have added more in terms of competitiveness.
I don't think the gap has increased. Don't compare the weakest teams. Over all, defenses have improved and teams play structured football far more from the traditionally weaker Asian and African countries.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Should Europe have less teams in future world cups as gap between European and other sides seems to have diminished..
I don't think you understand what diminished means.

The World Cup suffers enough because of a lack of European teams.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think FIFA have the 32 allocated spots between the confederations pretty much spot on.

I dont think 16 teams from Europe is enough when it goes up to 48 teams.
I still don't like that Oceania don't get an automatic slot.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don't think the gap has increased. Don't compare the weakest teams. Over all, defenses have improved and teams play structured football far more from the traditionally weaker Asian and African countries.
I.e. the teams that actually quaified in this case.

I mean, yeah, why on earth do that?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You do realise that Poland qualified by winning their group and coming ahead of Denmark and are a top seed and ranked fairly highly don't you? Just because they've been dire in 2 games doesn't make them as poor as you're making out.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Neither Poland nor Denmark are doing well, to be fair. Probably the weakest European performances this world cup.

Burgey

Yeah but the mere fact they're Euro Trash doesn't mean they're any better than other outfits from around the world. You can say team X from wherever topped their qualifying group and have been trash for two games but are otherwise a good side. Instead what we invariably hear from the Euro ponces on here is those sides are completely ****. The fact a side is from Europe is meant to give them some ****ing mystical quality over and above sides from elsewhere. It doesn't ffs. For every **** North American, African or Asian outfit which teams go past to qualify from their confederation, there's a Faroe islands , an Israel or a Cyprus.

Basically, footballing Europhiles need to get off their high horses and realise their **** does stink. If they want extra places they can **** off and have their own tourney (which they get every four years now anyway).

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Thanks. Nothing like a good Burgey rant. Every time I feel sad, I think about the pandas rant and my life is good again.

Burgey

And fwiw (**** all), I think the amount of Euro teams there atm is probably about right, given South America is the other powerhouse and has so few countries, as noted earlier. I'm not really sold on the idea of expanding the WC to more teams, I think the number they have now is probably enough. I'd give Oceania a direct qualification spot, maybe take half a spot each away from two other confederations. It's meant to be a WC. Utterly bizarre that an entire confederation doesn't get automatically represented.

Basically, anything to keep India out of it will do me.