• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

KP - SA Test Cricketer?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I said a while ago that I wouldn't be all that surprised if he turned out for South Africa in T20 cricket eventually. I stand by that. I think you can rule out Tests though.
I found it really interesting that in his autobiography he mentioned that he sees himself as a South African who happened to play for England.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't see KP as an avenging wronged hero ftr. Such thing would be great cos a) England would be losing and b) i love to watch KP bat

That being said, i don't think KP should've been dropped at the time but that does not mean he should be brought back now nor that he isn't good enough to play for England
The entire tone of your post seemed to be as much, maybe even more about hating particular people in the English cricket set-up then seeing Kp play, this is why I think it wasn't a great post, or a great post to like, and why I feel any mention of him causes rancor,.

Yeah amazing how many posters feel those 3 views should be mutually exclusive and that it is not possible for all 3 to be true at the same time...
I said there's every reason why people should think he was dropped unfairly, in fact I said it in my first post that it is quite well right, just don't understand why it's still dragging on. You've been one of the chief repeaters of divisive arguments from the KP camp, playing the "i see things from all angles like a reasonable person" angle doesn't hugely add up.

I'm not a reasonable person BTW, boring ****s IMHO.

I said a while ago that I wouldn't be all that surprised if he turned out for South Africa in T20 cricket eventually. I stand by that. I think you can rule out Tests though.
For a while surely the only mildly realistic chance of a comeback was in this form, as it's what he mainly plays and what his body could hold up for. I even advocated it for a while after the split, as the team seemed and should be very different to the Test one, but then he justkept on slagging off prospective team-mates or team-mates friends it just became untenable. The Associates seem to have odd rules maybe it'll happen there.

My point wasn't whether KP was in the wrong. Its the strong reaction a couple of years later to this story.

the whole saga obviously still burns England fans. Which is fine, I get it, but it is interesting imo
You suggested surprise at first. In the end this thread started by someone supporting KP, the reactions were to strongly pro-KP comments and they came from Saffie fans as much as English.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
not it doesn't, its just you. And no one cares what you think.
**** post. KP was the best batsman of his generation*

*by best I mean the batsman with the highest ceiling. IMO there's 2 types of best - most talented and most efficient. KP wasn't as consistent as a Sangakkara or a Kallis but he could do things nobody else could.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
And what England fan wouldn't want Root at 4 and a KP released from the shackles of responsibility at 5?

grecian

**** post. KP was the best batsman of his generation*

*by best I mean the batsman with the highest ceiling. IMO there's 2 types of best - most talented and most efficient. KP wasn't as consistent as a Sangakkara or a Kallis but he could do things nobody else could.
So you do care what Pratters thinks now?

Just don't agree with stuff about highest plateaus, it's far too nebulous an argument.

cricmad

Cricket Spectator
I found it really interesting that in his autobiography he mentioned that he sees himself as a South African who happened to play for England.
That is in marked contrast to his his early playing days when he was over eager to show his "Englishness" and even got a a tattoo of the 3 lions to prove it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I said there's every reason why people should think he was dropped unfairly, in fact I said it in my first post that it is quite well right, just don't understand why it's still dragging on. You've been one of the chief repeaters of divisive arguments from the KP camp, playing the "i see things from all angles like a reasonable person" angle doesn't hugely add up.

I'm not a reasonable person BTW, boring ****s IMHO.

Nah.. I Have made my arguments in the original thread earlier and I stand by that even now. But even in that thread, I mentioned very clearly that whatever be the reasons, since the deed is now done and the team has moved on, there is no point in considering his recall in any format, for that matter. Which is what Gob posted and I feel is still true. He was dropped unfairly IMO when he was, he is not someone you need in the team right now and yes, I feel he still is one of the top batsmen in England for any format of the game.

grecian

Nah.. I Have made my arguments in the original thread earlier and I stand by that even now. But even in that thread, I mentioned very clearly that whatever be the reasons, since the deed is now done and the team has moved on, there is no point in considering his recall in any format, for that matter. Which is what Gob posted and I feel is still true. He was dropped unfairly IMO when he was, he is not someone you need in the team right now and yes, I feel he still is one of the top batsmen in England for any format of the game.
No you just repeated other peoples arguments almost word-for-word, you then patronizingly stated that others are being intransigent, when your the most intransigent on this farce as anyone else, gawd I hate moral hypocrisy, stop doing the things you've accused the England board of being, by being weakly mealy-mouthed.

In the end Gob tempered his first post, so fair enough it was jokey and this situation has made me more than touchy, so I didn't see the homour, I don't really disagree with the last post he made, not that he should give a **** what I think. Nor should you, so just admit you're a KP fanboy like others and your utterly biased in everything you've read in that way.

You're on a cricket board being a fanboy of a cricket player isn't a crime, if the interweb was around in the mid-90s I would have been going mental at Gooch and the like for the much more unfair sacking of David Gower, better player than all of 'em.

Don't get it myself about KP, he's no Ravi Bopara.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Fanboy argument just doesn't cut it grecian. No one is arguing because they are huge fans of KP. I am pretty sure you liked his batting as well? Sells you short actually.

grecian

Fanboy argument just doesn't cut it grecian. No one is arguing because they are huge fans of KP. I am pretty sure you liked his batting as well? Sells you short actually.
Umm yes they are, in fact almost everyone on his side has said that? If they weren't huge fans why do they want him back at all costs? His batting was cool, but I prefer others, or maybe I'd have been a bigger fan.

Nothing sells me short, I've decided to just switch utter bastard mode in this argument, as ignoring it wasn't making it go away. This probably won't either but it'll at least make me feel better. I'm a purely selfish human-being thinking about me-me-me and blaming everyone else who disagrees with me. It's kinda apt I feel.

It's like satire or summat, or I may just have bad teeth that are keeping me awake intermittently, and I hate dentists. You decide?

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
No, you are missing the point. People can be big fans and want a player dropped too if they don't think the player deserves to be there.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Total opposite of say Alan Lamb who embraced it all playing for England and still follows them around the world on tours and stuff. Can't ever see KP paying any attention to England once he does retire.

Marius

International Debutant
Total opposite of say Alan Lamb who embraced it all playing for England and still follows them around the world on tours and stuff. Can't ever see KP paying any attention to England once he does retire.
Allan Lamb still sounds more Saffa than KP.

KP has this weird Durban-****ney-mid-Atlantic accent going on.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't think there's any question that KP didn't fully embrace the team when he was playing for England, I just found it interesting considering the whole outsider narrative.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Does having a three lions ECB tattoo not mean allegiance to the ECB rather than England itself? I Don't think the cricketers have to have England allegiance any way. If a war broke out say, KP would be asked to serve for SA still..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No you just repeated other peoples arguments almost word-for-word, you then patronizingly stated that others are being intransigent, when your the most intransigent on this farce as anyone else, gawd I hate moral hypocrisy, stop doing the things you've accused the England board of being, by being weakly mealy-mouthed.

In the end Gob tempered his first post, so fair enough it was jokey and this situation has made me more than touchy, so I didn't see the homour, I don't really disagree with the last post he made, not that he should give a **** what I think. Nor should you, so just admit you're a KP fanboy like others and your utterly biased in everything you've read in that way.

You're on a cricket board being a fanboy of a cricket player isn't a crime, if the interweb was around in the mid-90s I would have been going mental at Gooch and the like for the much more unfair sacking of David Gower, better player than all of 'em.

Don't get it myself about KP, he's no Ravi Bopara.

Look mate, that thread went out of hand way too much and I dont want to dig that **** up again... I am pretty sure I have stood by every argument I made there. There are things which were speculative as I am not as invested in the England side as their own fans will be, but I am a big fan of KP and have always been. YOu make it sound as if I ever came out and said I am NOT a fan of KP which I have never done on these boards or anywhere. You are the one carrying on as if it is a crime to even suggest that KP is still good enough to play test cricket as a batsman, so if you hate moral hypocrisy so much, gawd, must you be hating yourself heaps now on this argument...

Even in that thread I made the point that while I disagreed with everything reg. KP that the ECB had done till that point, there was no reason to bring him back once the side had settled and had also put the results on the board. At the end of the day, the teams play cricket to win and when that is happening many things can be, and are, forgiven. I said there was no point in bringing him back then and I say the same thing now. I just try to stay out of it these days as much as I possibly can because just like Jono, I do not understand the extreme hate many English posters here have for him. Maybe as you said, we will only feel it when someone from our side is the same but maybe you guys are just being a little too Andy Flower. Or perhaps more accurately, it is a bit of both.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Does having a three lions ECB tattoo not mean allegiance to the ECB rather than England itself? I Don't think the cricketers have to have England allegiance any way. If a war broke out say, KP would be asked to serve for SA still..
No, the 3 lions isn't unique to England's cricket team.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't think there's any question that KP didn't fully embrace the team when he was playing for England, I just found it interesting considering the whole outsider narrative.
In his first book he was quite keen to play up his mother's English heritage if I remember rightly.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
No, the 3 lions isn't unique to England's cricket team.
Yeah, fair enough. He put the cricket board symbol though, now that I see it, with his test number. Show he was proud to play test cricket for England. Doesn't really show any allegiance to England over SA as a country.

Attachments