• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

KP - SA Test Cricketer?

Stefan9

International Debutant
Going the Kepler Wessels way.
Rather different situations. Wessels couldn't play international for his nation at the time as they were banned. KP chose not to try very hard, run away to England after it didn't work at natal. Didn't even try changing provinces.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With all the normal arguments going on. One interesting point here is most of the Saffies don't want him, which seems kinda key when it comes to the OP.

Gob

International Coach
With all the normal arguments going on. One interesting point here is most of the Saffies don't want him, which seems kinda key when it comes to the OP.
How many of the Saffies here are in the South Africa cricket board?

91Jmay

International Coach
How many of the Saffies here are in the South Africa cricket board?
If you think the SA cricket board are picking a bloke outwardly critical of quotas you are beyond delusional. More chance of him playing for England again.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Where would kp bat for sa, If he end up playing for them (which I can't see happening at all)
Kp obviously likes 4 but cant see ab being happy if he got sent down to no.5.

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
For a bit of context, the averages of English batsmen over those same 12 games:

Bell - 39.54
Root - 38.70 (11 games)
Pietersen - 34.10 (10 games)
Trott - 31.93 (8 games)
Cook - 30.83
Barstow - 27.71 (8 games)
Prior - 17.68 (10 games)

Yes, Pietersen's numbers look bad in isolation but he was failing against the same attacks that every other English batsman, with the exception of Bell, was also failing against (and even his average doesn't get over 40 despite his 2013 Ashes heroics)
An excellent point that tends to be overlooked. I think the key would be whether his knee allows him to play/practise regularly. In his book he said his knee was about 70% in that final Ashes series.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Where would kp bat for sa, If he end up playing for them (which I can't see happening at all)
Kp obviously likes 4 but cant see ab being happy if he got sent down to no.5.
It would have to be 5 if we are talking tests. Think his record at 5 is better then 4 anyway.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
KP was dropped because he was a douchebag and his levels had dropped. You can average 50 and slag off your own teammates and act aloof. You can't do that whilst averaging 30. Yes he was in the top 6 bats when he was dropped- whether he is now is debeatable and doubt anyone can say with much conviction either way. Bell for me was still in the top 6 batsman in the country when he was dropped and he was bad for a while. Sometimes you just need to move people on and start building again with different players. England are doing well now so they aren't going to bring back a disruptive, soon to be 36 year old.

England aren't picking him, and SA won't be picking him.

This is it

Marius

International Debutant
If you think the SA cricket board are picking a bloke outwardly critical of quotas you are beyond delusional. More chance of him playing for England again.
Agreed.

But if you think there is a realistic chance of SA picking a 38-year-old KP with a crocked knee (with his history of speaking out about quotas) and given the transformation imperative in South African society, you need your head read.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Don't think he will be not selected because of his quota comments. If it would be, it would be because he isn't good enough. Let's see how this plays out.

Marius

International Debutant
Rather different situations. Wessels couldn't play international for his nation at the time as they were banned. KP chose not to try very hard, run away to England after it didn't work at natal. Didn't even try changing provinces.
Even when Wessels went back to SA we were still banned. According to his biographer (who, to be fair, is unlikely to be unbiased), he was treated poorly by the Australian cricket board, who suspected him of helping set up the first Aussie rebel series in South Africa, even though he was apparently not involved. He got dropped despite being in good form and he decided to try his luck back in SA. Turned out pretty well for him, won the Currie Cup with Eastern Province and captained the Proteas.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Even when Wessels went back to SA we were still banned. According to his biographer (who, to be fair, is unlikely to be unbiased), he was treated poorly by the Australian cricket board, who suspected him of helping set up the first Aussie rebel series in South Africa, even though he was apparently not involved. He got dropped despite being in good form and he decided to try his luck back in SA. Turned out pretty well for him, won the Currie Cup with Eastern Province and captained the Proteas.
Was more referring to the initial decision to go and try his luck in Aus. No idea what is true and not concerning the rebel tour and kepler's involvement or none involvement, he has always denied being involved in it.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Man, England fan reactions to KP are so strong nowadays.
Can you blame us? I mean I'm sure it's bloody amusing for an outsider looking in, I'm certain if something similar happened to Oz or India I would be fanning the flames and laughing my arse off.

One bloke has been dropped from an International team, quite possibly prematurely, something that has happened many dozens of times in cricket history, it's been handled fairly awfully. Yet it is rather indicative of the horrible click-baiting depressingly miserable state of the media that they just want to keep this story alive, it's dead in any real sense. Yet cricinfo the BBC and all just keep running non-sensical stories. It's turned cricket into an horrible slanging match (which on occasion I am guilty of getting involved in), more typical of football's worse excesses with fanatical fans just wanting to look at it from one side. Oh and of course the worst thing in the world is that for some ****ing reason, like the disgusting tabloidy slimy disgraceful, Phone-hacking, faking picture, Trump-supporting, financially lucky to get away with prison, morally bereft scum-of-the-world, it's put Piers Morgan right in the middle of this discourse, and the repellant **** is loving it. He will never just argue a case he's an ex tabloid editor, he attacks everyone that disagrees with him, and makes vile lies up about them, it's what he has always done. There are many tales of his excesses, but this one always makes me laugh. Just can't understand why he's been allowed to lead this discussion in many ways, and how some morons take whatever he utters as gospel.

Marius

International Debutant
Was more referring to the initial decision to go and try his luck in Aus. No idea what is true and not concerning the rebel tour and kepler's involvement or none involvement, he has always denied being involved in it.
Yeah, fair enough.

But also shows, apart from the fact that they were both Saffas who tried their luck abroad, KP and Kepler have very little in common.

Shady Slim

International Coach
i'd say that it's important to note KP was asked this and of course he'd like to return to test cricket

isn't like the story is "KP demands that the CSA board look at his first class figures then dump JP Duminy"