• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Knockout Stage - General Discussion

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bloody hell.

Great run from the Senatore from the scrum and wonderful hands from Contepomi.

Slots the conversion too.

7-6 Argentina. :-O

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I have changed my attitude for this world cup. Usually I like to have a good contest put up by the opposition and like Somerset want a "good final".

This year I just want to win - i will not be secretly pleased when Australia scores a try against us. Or when Argentina gets a penalty I just wanted W's.
See this post New Zealand...Cmon Lads!

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Is this a bad time to point out that Graham Henry is 0 for 2 in World Cup quarterfinals?

Go the argies!

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Early call:

Slade MOTM
Thanks Athlai.

Impressive effort from Argentina on defence, and its certainly prohibiting the ABs from getting much quick ball. Sensational run from their number 8 although Read and McCaw both missing tackles on him was something you won't see everyday. Winning solely through penalty kicks wasn't exactly what I was contemplating.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Thanks Athlai.

Impressive effort from Argentina on defence, and its certainly prohibiting the ABs from getting much quick ball. Sensational run from their number 8 although Read and McCaw both missing tackles on him was something you won't see everyday. Winning solely through penalty kicks wasn't exactly what I was contemplating.
No problem.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Close enough to the end now - so just want to say well played Aaron Cruden - looked as good as any other 1st 5 on display in the tournament.

He must start next week regardless of Slade's availability.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Hardly a perfect victory but you can't say no to a 23 point win in a World Cup QF. The worry for me is that Argentina really competed at the breakdown and although they ended up conceeding a number of penalties from it, they were ultimately successful in slowing down the ABs' ball for 65 minutes. If Pocock and co. are able to do the same, then with a better attacking side in the form of Australia they'll have hope that they can subdue the ABs.

Thought Cruden played particularly well for someone who wouldn't have played a professional match since the ITM Cup final more than a month ago. Even before Slade's injury he looked nervous and fragile. Cruden looked confident and his combinations with Weepu and Nonu in particular worked well. If hes to start at 10 ahead of Slade I wouldn't complain (although would still prefer Weepu at 10 if I had the choice).

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pocock was superb at the breakdown against the Yarps, but got away with blue murder. His hand was on that ball so many times and Bryce Lawrence didn't pick up on any of 'em. Turnovers on the Yarp goal line and on the Aussie goal line executed with the perfect combination of guts and cynicism. Gotta hope the ref for the SF will be a bit more alive at the breakdown than Lawrence. All I ask for is a balanced refereeing display, and Lawrence didn't give that IMO. Easily cost the Saffers the 3 points they would have needed for a win.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pocock was superb at the breakdown against the Yarps, but got away with blue murder. His hand was on that ball so many times and Bryce Lawrence didn't pick up on any of 'em. Turnovers on the Yarp goal line and on the Aussie goal line executed with the perfect combination of guts and cynicism. Gotta hope the ref for the SF will be a bit more alive at the breakdown than Lawrence. All I ask for is a balanced refereeing display, and Lawrence didn't give that IMO. Easily cost the Saffers the 3 points they would have needed for a win.
Perhaps the referee can just let he and McCaw do as they please then? The latter has a long head start in that regard.