• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Knockout Stage - General Discussion

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No problems with Lawrence. You get 'em for and against.
Yeah, he was generally merde, but didn't seem to favour one side over the other especially.

Crumb of comfort for NZ: no team who's lost a game in the tournament has ever won the cup. The only unbeaten team remaining...?

centurymaker

International Captain
Fantastic match to watch. Do feel for the Boks who dominated in everything but the scoreline. 75% territory and making the opposition make three times as many tackles and still losing is almost unheard of (although I do remember similar statistics for a team that lost a match in Cardiff four years ago, slips my mind what team that was). I'm not saying every one of Pocock's turnovers was legal but his efforts were tremendous. Big game from Horwill too. Genia was also great and he had to be given Cooper's ineptitude. Not sure whether it was through being directed to or his own decision, but Bryce Lawrence seemed awefully leniant on potential infringements - I imagine most South African fans will be commenting a lot regarding his performance.
Lawrence was helping the all blacks out by getting rid of the superior team. :ph34r:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Fantastic match to watch. Do feel for the Boks who dominated in everything but the scoreline. 75% territory and making the opposition make three times as many tackles and still losing is almost unheard of (although I do remember similar statistics for a team that lost a match in Cardiff four years ago, slips my mind what team that was). I'm not saying every one of Pocock's turnovers was legal but his efforts were tremendous. Big game from Horwill too. Genia was also great and he had to be given Cooper's ineptitude. Not sure whether it was through being directed to or his own decision, but Bryce Lawrence seemed awefully leniant on potential infringements - I imagine most South African fans will be commenting a lot regarding his performance.
Horwill got the only try - he Oconnor, Pocock - were the three that kept their head's when the pressure came on.

I think Barnes has to play McCabe missed a tackle early and if he is in the team to tackle then that is inexcusable.

DeVilliers played the best I have ever seen him play.

I think SA lost the game on the try. They won a line out on their 5M line and tried to run it out of their own goal line. Why I will never know but it wasn't percentage rugby - just kick the thing up the field.

Also the typical SA game is up and unders and plenty of penalty kicks. Australia just wouldn't infringe and I am not sure why SA didn't do more up and unders when they did them Aussie looked shaky.

I did back Aussie to win but not like that. I expected their running game to be too much for SA. But Aussie didn't really run it - they wanted to play territory instead. Which just meant kicking the ball away to SA.

I think to beat the ABs Australia must try to use their forwards to muscle it up and then spin the ball wide. Enough of this kicking for territory unless they are in their own 22.

Poor coaching from Robbie Deans he is lucky to get the win - it, the win, was against the run of the game and only happened because Pocock created important turnovers - and SA dropped the ball at vital times.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
There was a wonderful haka by the East Coast rugby team in the Meads cup final the other day on TV...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Poor technique from Read there, needed to be lower when he dived for the line. Good defenece from the Argies tho.