• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

KKD Karthik will replace Parthiv Patel

la28

Cricket Spectator
I ask everyone to take a look at KKD Karthik Profile at Cricinfo. This kid's got talent! Has centuries, including some against Zimbabwe and Mumbai. I heard he's a big six hitter. anyway this parthiv patel is useless. He cant bat or keep (I think Dravid is a better keeper than he is). I think Karthik will be in the indian squad for holland cup bcuz a lot of people are talking about him, including sachin sourav and john wright. if he comes, indian cricket will be saved.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think it's fair to say that Parthiv Patel can't bat or keep as he has played test cricket and you haven't. He has also opened the batting for India. For now I think Patel is doing a sterling job for India, but if this Karthik is a big hitter maybe it would be worth seeing him play a couple of ODI's. And then decide if Indian cricket is saved.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Oh no not again, another Parthiv Basher, I have a feeling that this guy is another Avtaar of some other CW member, if that is the case then it is a clear violation of CW policies.

And how is DK going to save Indian Cricket and from what ??

la28

Cricket Spectator
What has Parthiv Patel done so far?

Ok this Patel has been in this team for how long? has he done anything in domestic cricket? just one century against the worst ranji team. And about his highest scores of 62 and 63 against australia and pakistan, that 62 vs australia was when india had 600 somethin runs already, there was absolutely no pressure on him and no fielders in the deep. how can u call this guy good? come on! KARTHIK HAS SCORED 96, 12*, AND 52 IN THE ZIMBABWE TOUR ALREADY. AND IF YOU WANT DOMESTIC CRICKET, HE AVERAGES 45 AND SCORED A CENTURY IN THE RANJI TROPHY SEMIFINALS TO GET TAMIL NADU INTO THE FINAL, AND THEN HE SCORED A CENTURY IN THE FINAL AGAINST MUMBAI EVEN THOUGH TAMIL NADU LOST. IN THE U-19 WORLD CUP HE SCORED 70 OF 36 BALLS. HOW IS IT FAIR THAT THIS KID WAITS FOR A CHANCE WHILE PATEL GETS A FREE PASS INTO THE TEAM? If the Indian selectors have any common sense, then karthik will get a chance in the holland cup. His name has become pretty popular.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Dude, you need to relax a little and you dont need to type in Caps, it's considered rude.
Now coming to KKD Karthik, He may be a good player but scores against school boys of zimbabwe dont really count. You are also suffering from selective dementia, you say that Karthik has been averaging 45+ in first class at the same time you forget to mention that in list 'A' limited over matches his average is a pathetic 15.

You are also wrong when you say that Parthiv 62 came when India were already 600+, India were about 570 when he came on to bat, he scored 62 in second test in Multan when our our batsmen failed, in the 3rd test when Akash Chopra was dropped, Parthiv stepped up and opened the innings for India batted for 4 hours with Rahul Dravid after Sehwag got out for a first ball duck. He made his highest score of 69 and added 130 runs for 2nd wicket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
la28 said:
Ok this Patel has been in this team for how long? has he done anything in domestic cricket?

Does it matter if he's done anything in domestic cricket?

What credit is there for scoring a few runs in a bat-dominated domestic scene such as India?

Also, runs in domestic cricket mean very little when you get to the International stage as the mental and physical gulf is much larger than people think.

deeps

International 12th Man
Sanz said:
Dude, you need to relax a little and you dont need to type in Caps, it's considered rude.
nope,tis considering shouting,which is what i imagine he was doing....and i agree with the patel part..if patel was 25, he would not make the team....the team should be selected on merit,and not age.....there are lots more players out there better than patel, and it is ridicoulous after all the mistakes he's made,that he continue to be in the team

had mongia muffed so many stumpings,and batted like patel, mongia would be playing state cricket again

delkap

State Vice-Captain
deeps said:
nope,tis considering shouting,which is what i imagine he was doing....and i agree with the patel part..if patel was 25, he would not make the team....the team should be selected on merit,and not age.....there are lots more players out there better than patel, and it is ridicoulous after all the mistakes he's made,that he continue to be in the team

had mongia muffed so many stumpings,and batted like patel, mongia would be playing state cricket again
well, karthik will hv age on his side, so that certainly cant stop him from selection.. Now considering 2 of the 3 Indian selectors are former Keepers (great ones too, Kirmani and More), it is only fair to assume they know a bit more abt keeping than us.. So there must be a reason to keep Patel..

Anyway, if Karthik is that good, I'm sure he'll get a fair chance.. I doub't it'll be anytime soon though, cos Holland and ICC champions Trophy are pretty important, and Patel doesn't make the ODI XI anyway.. And Tests, Patel has been in a good nick.. So my guess is we'll hv to wait for this guy to come to international stage..

Craig

World Traveller
la28 said:
Ok this Patel has been in this team for how long? has he done anything in domestic cricket? just one century against the worst ranji team. And about his highest scores of 62 and 63 against australia and pakistan, that 62 vs australia was when india had 600 somethin runs already, there was absolutely no pressure on him and no fielders in the deep.
There is no winning with some people.

He got runs, so people still have a go at him, if he didn't people would still have a go at him quicker then what it takes Maurice Greene to sprint 100m in peak form.

The guy has talent and potential, and yes he has to improve, but so does all international cricketers.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
haha, why do i feel like no-one likes patel?? isnt he only 18/19 or something!?! id be giving him time... an average of 30+ for a keeper at test level is more than acceptable IMO.

He cant bat or keep (I think Dravid is a better keeper than he is).
i suggest you watch dravid keep then!!!! haah that is in no way justified... dravid cannot keep for pizza boxes.

Waughney

International Debutant
la28 said:
Ok this Patel has been in this team for how long? has he done anything in domestic cricket? just one century against the worst ranji team. .
He hasn't really had much time to do anything in domestic cricket.
la28 said:
And about his highest scores of 62 and 63 against australia and pakistan, that 62 vs australia was when india had 600 somethin runs already, there was absolutely no pressure on him and no fielders in the deep. how can u call this guy good? come on! KARTHIK HAS SCORED 96, 12*, AND 52 IN THE ZIMBABWE TOUR ALREADY.
Scores of 62 and 63 against the world champions by a keeper sounds pretty damn good to me. The 63 against Pakistan was during a very important match, he was also opening! WOW! that's some great scores against the all mighty ZIMBABWEANS 8-) I wouldn't take those figures too seriously.
la28 said:
. AND IF YOU WANT DOMESTIC CRICKET, HE AVERAGES 45 AND SCORED A CENTURY IN THE RANJI TROPHY SEMIFINALS TO GET TAMIL NADU INTO THE FINAL, AND THEN HE SCORED A CENTURY IN THE FINAL AGAINST MUMBAI EVEN THOUGH TAMIL NADU LOST. IN THE U-19 WORLD CUP HE SCORED 70 OF 36 BALLS. HOW IS IT FAIR THAT THIS KID WAITS.
There's no doubt that he is a promising young player, but does he have the mental toughness of Patel? Patel seems to already have everthing Karthick can offer + some international experience.
la28 said:
HOW IS IT FAIR THAT THIS KID WAITS FOR A CHANCE WHILE PATEL GETS A FREE PASS INTO THE TEAM? If the Indian selectors have any common sense, then karthik will get a chance in the holland cup. His name has become pretty popular.
Free pass? You obviously have no knowledge of selection policies and quite frankly the Indian selectors must see more in Patel than in Karthick. His name has mainly become popular because of the hype from non-Patel supporters.

Swervy

International Captain
Nnanden said:
haha, why do i feel like no-one likes patel?? isnt he only 18/19 or something!?! id be giving him time... an average of 30+ for a keeper at test level is more than acceptable IMO.

i suggest you watch dravid keep then!!!! haah that is in no way justified... dravid cannot keep for pizza boxes.

i think the problem is that now Gilchrist has been on the scene for a bit, supporters of other countries cant understand why their country cant produce a similar player...people need to face up to the fact that Gilchrist is the type of player that comes around once every 20 years or so,and most teams will have to settle for a keeper who aves in the 30's (which is very respectable IMO)

Deja moo

International Captain
IMO , Gilchrist is the player he is today because he was kept waiting for so long by Healy. Let Parthiv patel play domestic cricket till people feel he has reached his full potential. I mean , why keep saying that he has soo much potential ? Let him fulfill it first in domestic cricket . There are better options for now ( Vijay Dahiya for one. What he did to merit being dropped , I cannot understand .Will the great Kirmani please explain?)

V Reddy

International Debutant
Nnanden said:

That's why i don't like his continuous selection. What has age got to do with it. Isn't Karthik off the same age? Personally i think Patel deserves his position by merit in the tests but i would give Karthik a go in the onedayers. Patel doesn't have the strength to score boundaries in the front of the wicket. He mostly scores his boundaries by guiding the ball to the third man area. While Karthik has all the range of strokes and is a fast scorer too , more suited to onedayers than Patel

V Reddy

International Debutant
Sanz said:
Now coming to KKD Karthik, He may be a good player but scores against school boys of zimbabwe dont really count. You are also suffering from selective dementia, you say that Karthik has been averaging 45+ in first class at the same time you forget to mention that in list 'A' limited over matches his average is a pathetic 15.
It is the main Zimbabwe team now though it's in the same standard as Bangladesh

V Reddy

International Debutant
Waughney said:
He hasn't really had much time to do anything in domestic cricket.

That's the problem. The guy when he was selected didn't play any Ranji Cricket

There's no doubt that he is a promising young player, but does he have the mental toughness of Patel? Patel seems to already have everthing Karthick can offer + some international experience.

If you had those doubts then Patel wouldn't have made the team too

Free pass? You obviously have no knowledge of selection policies and quite frankly the Indian selectors must see more in Patel than in Karthick. His name has mainly become popular because of the hype from non-Patel supporters.

But selectors aren't perfect, are they? But surely if any other keepers committed the same mistakes, then they would have been dropped a long time back. How can you call it hype from non-Patel supporters? He made 2 centuries on the most imp matches on his first season , did very well at U-19 level

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Much as Parthiv is only 19, he's not the greatest wicketkeeper available, by a long way. He's very average, and with such a 'keeper, all options should be explored, be it Nayan Mongia (far better than all the 'talented youngsters'), Vinayak Samant (dependable and rather under-rated), Ajay Ratra (fastest glovework, though not the cleanest), Vijay Dahiya (hard-hitting batsman, more experienced).

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, even Dinesh.

You have to play your best wicketkeeper in your team. That's nnot happening in the Indian team.

Waughney

International Debutant
V Reddy said:
That's the problem. The guy when he was selected didn't play any Ranji Cricket
Yes, I was merely pointing out that Patel hasn't really had the chance to do make some of the scores Karthik has.

If you had those doubts then Patel wouldn't have made the team too

Interesting point. I guess it just comes down to personal opinion on that player

But selectors aren't perfect, are they? But surely if any other keepers committed the same mistakes, then they would have been dropped a long time back.

Never said they were. No, if the selectors had faith in that keeper he would still be in the team eg. Patel

How can you call it hype from non-Patel supporters? He made 2 centuries on the most imp matches on his first season , did very well at U-19 level

He did do very well but I still don't think he should play ahead of Patel (in tests) just as he's establishing himself....

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
A lot of unnecessary emphasis is laid on a wicketkeeper's batting. This is why most wicketkeepers of today are not up to international standards.