• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

KKD Karthik will replace Parthiv Patel

Deja moo

International Captain
delkap said:
Then why not have batsmen bowl like top-line bowlers ??
:D
I can picture it now........October....first test India vs Austrlia.......

First ball.....Tendulkar trundling in to bowl to McGrath.......A snorter of a delivery....Glen ducks......

second ball.....Sachin bowls at 150 kph.....McGrath hooks it for 4.......Tendulkar calls McGrath a motha-sista-whatever :@ .

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Nnanden said:
you cant BLAME gilly for that!! just because he is excellent at both, doesnt mean he is to blame. it is the modern perception that you need to be an excellent bat as well as a keeper. however i believe this shouldnt be the case. i think jones ahead of read is a good move, jones is a very good keeper IMO anywhoo and he averages 10, 15, 20 odd more anyway.
hehe relax,
I wasn't blaming Gilly.. I was merely stating that since Gilly is too good, people hv similar expectations from their country's keepers, hence no-one is good enough.. and ofcourse chances are no-one would be for a while atleast..

If you don't compare Patel to Gilchrist, he is damn good keeper-batsman ..

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Deja moo said:
I can picture it now........October....first test India vs Austrlia.......First ball.....Tendulkar trundling in to bowl to McGrath.......A snorter of a delivery....Glen ducks......second ball.....Sachin bowls at 150 kph.....McGrath hooks it for 4.......Tendulkar sledges McGrath.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Top Post that !!

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
delkap said:
hehe relax,
I wasn't blaming Gilly.. I was merely stating that since Gilly is too good, people hv similar expectations from their country's keepers, hence no-one is good enough.. and ofcourse chances are no-one would be for a while atleast..

If you don't compare Patel to Gilchrist, he is damn good keeper-batsman ..
yea point(s) taken. what do you guys think of jones? youve already got my opinion.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Adam Gilchrist is good enough to fit into an Australian top-6, so there is purpose in picking him, even if he is an average wicketkeeper- Dereyck Murray and Farrokh Engineer don't rate him highly. But there are no Indian wicketkeepers capable of batting in the Indian top 6, so the best keeper has to play.

It does not have to be a wicketkeeper who has to bat as well as a batsman. It could even be a bowler. IF Adam Gilchrist made batting improtant for a wicketkeeper, so did Cairns, Klusener and Pollock, for bowlers.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
yea point(s) taken. what do you guys think of jones? youve already got my opinion.
He is no more than a batsman who owns the gloves, as Ted Corbett said.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Arjun said:
Adam Gilchrist is good enough to fit into an Australian top-6, so there is purpose in picking him, even if he is an average wicketkeeper- Dereyck Murray and Farrokh Engineer don't rate him highly. But there are no Indian wicketkeepers capable of batting in the Indian top 6, so the best keeper has to play.

It does not have to be a wicketkeeper who has to bat as well as a batsman. It could even be a bowler. IF Adam Gilchrist made batting improtant for a wicketkeeper, so did Cairns, Klusener and Pollock, for bowlers.
sorry mate, thats wrong. bowlers will get in for bowling but keepers on an international level need to bat in the worlds eye. it shouldnt be the case in most instances but it is. but patel should be in ODIS to stop dravid wearing the gloves.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Arjun said:
He is no more than a batsman who owns the gloves, as Ted Corbett said.
so youd have read instead?? no way. he has kept extremely well of late, and batted the same. jones owns.

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Arjun said:
IF Adam Gilchrist made batting improtant for a wicketkeeper, so did Cairns, Klusener and Pollock, for bowlers.
Thats why Cairns, Klusener, and Pollock(to quite an extent) are reffered as all-rounders !!

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Nnanden said:
so youd have read instead?? no way. he has kept extremely well of late, and batted the same. jones owns.
I agree with, IMO Jones is a much better choice over Read..

Deja moo

International Captain
delkap said:
i think everyone got that, :D just that Marc had to post a response ;)
I dont mind. Marc posting that allowed me to have 2 posts explaining things. And if you hadnt posted this , I was going to submit two more posts clarifying the same thing :wink:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
sorry to change the topic direction... but im interested on more peoples thoughts on jones over read. so what do ya think?

deeps

International 12th Man
deep dasgupta is the key imo......he's showed he can bat...he was doin really well at the top of the order for india,and he was dropped due to his keepign...his keeping has improved dramatically,and now he's ready! he can bat anywhere, and will do a sterling job.

much better than patel!

he also just rrecently turned 27,which isn't too old!

averages 29 in tests, 1 century and 2 fifites, in 8 tests
has only had 5 odis and hasnt' done that well, with a HS of 24* averaging 17

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Thats why Cairns, Klusener, and Pollock(to quite an extent) are reffered as all-rounders !!
Gilchrist is not just any wicketkeeper, but a genuine all-rounder, just like them. Not all wicketkeepers are genuine all-rounders, and there are none in India.

Not well enough. He has his weaknesses, otherwise the English, not the greatest fielding side, would not have conceded so many 300+ totals in Tests. Read is not a bad batsman, but good enough to build partnerships. I would suggest playing him in place of a bowler.

deep dasgupta is the key imo......he's showed he can bat...he was doin really well at the top of the order for india,and he was dropped due to his keepign...his keeping has improved dramatically,and now he's ready! he can bat anywhere, and will do a sterling job.

much better than patel!

he also just rrecently turned 27,which isn't too old!

averages 29 in tests, 1 century and 2 fifites, in 8 tests
has only had 5 odis and hasnt' done that well, with a HS of 24* averaging 17
YIKE!!! PLEASE, NOT HIM!!

Remember the Bourda Drop? A certain Carl Hooper was dropped on zero, and he went on to make 233, along with Chanderpaul. Dasgupta has several drops and missed stumpings to his credit.

The Indians have their weaknesses in the field (especially the captain, who would not make an Australian, SA or NZ side due to his fielding), so they need a good wicketkeeper. Besides, keeping to Anil Kumble is not at all easy, and Deep Sleep has given Kumble many reasons to gasp in disappointment. This is why 'Jumbo' has never had confidence in wicketkeepers other than Nayan Mongia, who formed a very useful partnership with him.

deeps

International 12th Man
as mentioned above....his keeping has improved immensly..he also has the character,and determination to cut it at international level

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
as mentioned above....his keeping has improved immensly..he also has the character,and determination to cut it at international level
I doubt if it's worth the risk. The Indians have a few problems with fielding.