• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kevin Pietersen Retires From ODIs and T20Is

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
TBH I'm not bothered about the NZ tests at home next year especially as we've got the Ashes and it looks like NZ are gonna be missing a few players.

Stumpcam

U19 Captain
I agree, but at least the NZ tests will give the England lads some reasonable match practice. So they'll be fully fit and firing when the Aussies arrive.

England 3
Weather 2
Aussies 0

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Honestly, it's a shocking article, KP needs to feel he's a superstar, and he won't get that in a wet may in England, but he'll get it smashing hack bowlers for 6 off shortened boundaries in the IPL. Pathetic.

Anyway, I've already had this argument elsewhere, in the end it may just be nonsense, but players should not pick and choose for England, if they do they should lose their England contract, it's quite simple really.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm a fan of Hopps, but it isn't amongst his finest work. He seems to be attempting to argue for the cake whilst eating it between his points.

That there should be a window for the IPL is beyond argument; it's a domestic competition in name only. However the idea the English players are playing too much cricket isn't one that holds water. Last winter there was a very long gap between the (pointless except for coffer swelling) ODI series in India and the Pakistan series in the UAE. Such a break was there that ring rust was suggested as a possible reason for England's travails on the latter tour.

More recently Anderson and Broad were both somewhat non-plussed to be omitted from the third Windies test to rest their (un)weary bones.

If the ECB is asking its international cricketers to play too often the message hasn't yet reached those players.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't help but feel that he's only coming out of retirement cuz he wants in for the T20 WC, what would happen if he were to "retire" immediately after the WC finishes?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Simple really, the scheduling is a shambles, I don't care how much the players are paid, too much cricket is boring for fans and therefore for the sport in general in the long run.. So if KP wants to pick and choose he is well within his rights, but he cannot throw a tantrum at the ECB, who have got two pretty much number one sides going through a team above everything else mantra.. So if its one rule for everyone it's one rule for everyone.. He'll have to come back here and watch some more rugby..

Jacknife

International Captain
I'm a fan of Hopps, but it isn't amongst his finest work. He seems to be attempting to argue for the cake whilst eating it between his points.

That there should be a window for the IPL is beyond argument; it's a domestic competition in name only. However the idea the English players are playing too much cricket isn't one that holds water. Last winter there was a very long gap between the (pointless except for coffer swelling) ODI series in India and the Pakistan series in the UAE. Such a break was there that ring rust was suggested as a possible reason for England's travails on the latter tour.

More recently Anderson and Broad were both somewhat non-plussed to be omitted from the third Windies test to rest their (un)weary bones.

If the ECB is asking its international cricketers to play too often the message hasn't yet reached those players.
That break was the exception rather than the rule though tbf. Anderson though missed the Indian one day series last year and doesn't play Twenty20 cricket and Broad has been injured a fair bit, so they've been getting a fair bit of rest, which is what a few people were arguing at the time for why they didn't need to rested from that final test match.

Looking at the schedule for the next two years or so is crazy though, just next year we have, ODI's in India. ODI/tests in NZ. ODI/tests NZ. Champ Trophy. Ashes. ODI Aus. Ashes in Aus.

I read somewhere that those playing in all the formats will go away to the World Twenty20 at the end of the summer and wont come back home apart from a few day for over 6 months.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That break was the exception rather than the rule though tbf. Anderson though missed the Indian one day series last year and doesn't play Twenty20 cricket and Broad has been injured a fair bit, so they've been getting a fair bit of rest, which is what a few people were arguing at the time for why they didn't need to rested from that final test match.

Looking at the schedule for the next two years or so is crazy though, just next year we have, ODI's in India. ODI/tests in NZ. ODI/tests NZ. Champ Trophy. Ashes. ODI Aus. Ashes in Aus.

I read somewhere that those playing in all the formats will go away to the World Twenty20 at the end of the summer and wont come back home apart from a few day for over 6 months.

It seems a little straw man-y this TBH, whatever the scheduling hells, of going abroad all this time, I don't really see how it's a solution to let someone go away from home for a further 8 weeks. KP wants cash and glory.

If he takes it and doesn't want to play in the Test series against New Zealand, tear up his England contract and say, thanks Kevin, you were great, but we can move on now.

All this is of course contingent that the stories not bollox, and considering the source, I'm quite willing to believe it is, for now.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Would be inclined to back him were it not for the issue of not playing tests for the IPL but tbh do we need him or really want him if he's going to have such fallable arguments and lack lustre commitment?

Don't get me wrong the scheduling is horrifically poor but KP doesn't need the IPL for extra cash England win that much they get enough bonuses and are almost certainly the best paid international crickets outside of India.

Jacknife

International Captain
It seems a little straw man-y this TBH, whatever the scheduling hells, of going abroad all this time, I don't really see how it's a solution to let someone go away from home for a further 8 weeks. KP wants cash and glory.

If he takes it and doesn't want to play in the Test series against New Zealand, tear up his England contract and say, thanks Kevin, you were great, but we can move on now.

All this is of course contingent that the stories not bollox, and considering the source, I'm quite willing to believe it is, for now.
Straw man-y? where exactly and hey, I'm not arguing he should be allowed to play in the IPL and miss test cricket and never said that above.

I just pointed out that the schedule is crazy and can see why players that play all 3 formats need to be looked after more carefully, if we're going to get the best out of them. They're even talking about Flower missing series now, so he can spend time with his young family, so he's fresh for the job and doesn't get burned out.

Like you say I'd be surprised if KP or his representatives have gone back to the ECB with a so called counter offer, he knows that he would be laughed out of the place and he's been here before with the Moores fiasco and knows they'd play hard ball. He has said on many occasions that playing Test cricket for England is the pinnacle and he loves doing it, it's also what keeps his profile and earning power at a maximum, not spanking around pie throwers in the IPL.

I just hope that in years to come our early season Test matches are not being played against sides missing their star players because they're at the IPL like what will happen next year against NZ because that's certainly the way it's looking.

Stumpcam

U19 Captain
I just pointed out that the schedule is crazy and can see why players that play all 3 formats need to be looked after more carefully, if we're going to get the best out of them.
I agree the schedule is a bit choc-a-bloc but I do find it strange that the only one having a hissy fit about it in public is Kevin Pietersen.

Sums up his personality, imho.

:crybaby:

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It would be a bit cheeky of KP to not want to play against New Zealand but at the same time the ECB can't really complain when they opted not to select Anderson or Broad for a Test against the West Indies.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Latest news is that he hasn't been picked for out 2020 WC squad, so any turnaround will have to happen afterwards. Has to be the right decision afaics.

Jacknife

International Captain
Latest news is that he hasn't been picked for out 2020 WC squad, so any turnaround will have to happen afterwards. Has to be the right decision afaics.
Although I doubt it will happen, the ICC have said he can be added to the squad at a later date.

Psycho Macaque

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Well, it's good news he's not in the 30.

I can understand his point that the schedule is packed, but he's obviously an idiot to think that citing the IPL and CL as a reason why his schedule is particularly packed.

I mean, we can all agree that the IPL is a non-event, a domestic tournament that holds nothing like the prestige of international matches. It's all about how much money he can feed his greed with. Because the IPL pays well.

I'm a huge fan of him, but as far as I'm concerned he can stroll on now, in whichever format. I'll appreciate any good batting he does for England but only as a spectacle that'd I'd appreciate in a neutral match. Obviously if it wins us matches, that's great, but it's all a bit 'meh' now.