• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kane Williamson

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
It was a glaring reminder of my Otago sporting loves, 15 years on.

A former Otago rugby forward was the bar manager and Rupert was pulling pints. No glamorous post-sporting career for the amateurs of the 1990s.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Tail end of that period. Plus, I used to see him when he served pints to me at my local a decade ago so I feel a little sympathetic towards him.
I think Athlai 's period was 91 to 95. NZ certainly overlapped enough with that period. But, The 5 year nadir for nz would have actually been from the bomb blast in SL in late 92 until 97.

In your team. Haslam over Priest. My impression was Priest was unlucky, but that may have been because he told us that .. certainly not a 'Crowe' guy.

Rod Latham over Rutherford, Gratbatch stays in.
Hartland over Pocock.
Test version Chris Pringle over Su'a.

Blain is the glaring omission. As in he was actually good. Replace him with Parore IMO in the only position with not much /no competition for spots in this 11.

The Hutt Rec

I'm just thinking of a composite test XI of our worst around that time:

Pocock
Darrin Murray
Rutherford
Greatbatch (unfair but we didn't try many other batsmen).
Chris Harris
Vaughan
Blain
Mark Priest
Davis/Su'a (take your pick)
Owens
de Groen
Cmon, Blair Hartland was way worse than Blair Pocock. Dude averaged 26 in first class! At least Pocock grazed 30.

The Hutt Rec

OK he did and his stats are way better than I thought.
Always thought he was a decent quality player who was unlucky not to play more. Definitely not rated very highly by anyone these days. Would have taken him ahead of a lot of the plodders we played in back then though.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Watson shouldn’t be in the conversation about bad players. He was a decent seamer who really should have had a longer spell in the NZ team. If I remember correctly, he was only 28 or so when he hung up his boots.

Immenso

I think Watson couldn't cope with Crowe as captain, stressed him out, retired young.

Also, just my take, because we lacked penetration at times with our opening bowlers, we compensated , at least tried to compensate, by picking a more attacking 3rd seamer some times.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I think Athlai 's period was 91 to 95. NZ certainly overlapped enough with that period. But, The 5 year nadir for nz would have actually been from the bomb blast in SL in late 92 until 97.

In your team. Haslam over Priest. My impression was Priest was unlucky, but that may have been because he told us that .. certainly not a 'Crowe' guy.

Rod Latham over Rutherford, Gratbatch stays in.
Hartland over Pocock.
Test version Chris Pringle over Su'a.

Blain is the glaring omission. As in he was actually good. Replace him with Parore IMO in the only position with not much /no competition for spots in this 11.
Yeah, happy with Latham slotting in. I also considered Shane Thomson for the 6 spot, but he was blighted by injury and I will always appreciate his 120* v Pakistan (even if there are massive clouds over that result).

Blain was good, but to be fair, didn't he come in off the back of Parore getting injured in the nets (and then successfully held him off for a season or two)? No other keepers played a test in that time, I think (Young obviously a former gloveman).

Absolutely fair call on Haslam (having just checked his record). I

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, happy with Latham slotting in. I also considered Shane Thomson for the 6 spot, but he was blighted by injury and I will always appreciate his 120* v Pakistan (even if there are massive clouds over that result).

Blain was good, but to be fair, didn't he come in off the back of Parore getting injured in the nets (and then successfully held him off for a season or two)? No other keepers played a test in that time, I think (Young obviously a former gloveman).

Absolutely fair call on Haslam (having just checked his record). I
Never mention the Pakistan game to Bryan 'Barry' Young, and that it could have been dirty. You will either lose an hour of your life with the description of how it couldn't possibly have been a fix, or something more aggressive dependent on mood.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Never mention the Pakistan game to Bryan 'Barry' Young, and that it could have been dirty. You will either lose an hour of your life with the description of how it couldn't possibly have been a fix, or something more aggressive dependent on mood.
Tbh, was there anything behind the rumours about that game besides the unlikeness of NZ chasing down 300 to win v Wasim and Waqar and the “Well it’s Pakistan, so you know it’s dodgy” attitude? Because I watched the highlights of that game recently and Pakistan’s cricketers (Wasim in particular) did not look particularly happy about the way that game went.

The Hutt Rec

I remember a pic of Young and Thomson in the newspaper the next day after that win, and their torsos were absolutely covered in huge bruises ... definitely didn’t look like two batsmen who’d just been handed victory on a plate.