• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kane Williamson

Athlai

Not Terrible
Pollock having a peak in 2002 is interesting to me. Wasn't he sharper in the late 90s?
Pollock is up there for far longer than I'd have thought. An interesting thing was Warne only appears in the top 3 once. Maybe it'd be kinder to him if the timeline was after the English summer?

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pollock was also at the very top ahead of McGrath and Donald around the time when he has played 50 tests averaging under 20(!!!) for a fairly long duration.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Early Pollock was indeed pretty rapid but by 2002 he had dialled back a little bit in the name of consistency. Was an odd peroid for South African fast bowling, Donald was being increasingly let down by his own body. Ntini had just reemerged but was still raw and ragged, old mate Günther was a loose cannon both on and off field, and there were guys like David Terbrugge and Steve Elworthy getting a few games here and there

thierry henry

International Coach
I’ve always felt like there’s a myth that Pollock was really fast and scary and then slowed down and became sort of a poor man’s McGrath or something

If you go back and watch footage of Pollock, say from the 1997/98 tri series or tests against Australia, he wasn’t quick at all. Maybe he was really quick in like 1995-1996? But seems odd he would suddenly stop bowling quick at like 24 years old?

For the vast majority of his career Pollock was 130-odd. I’ve always felt there seems to be a certain reluctance to rate him as highly as he should be rated, allied with a false narrative that he mostly succeeded when/because he was quick.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Granted I am going somewhat off what seemed to be the general consensus among those around South African cricket, it's possible there may have been a bit of tyre pumping going on

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
So far two players have been in these lists that I'm not familiar with

Manoj Prabhakar and Gundappa Viswanath
Prabhakar was a seam bowling all rounder, bowled in-swingers as a stock ball. Medium pace, but got slower once he concentrated on his batting.

He was batting number 7, one of the 3 seamers, in this test in 1990 v NZ (when Hadlee broke the 400 barrier), and Danny Morrison broke Navjot Sidhu's finger. Prabhaker elevated to open in the second innings, and then stayed there for a few years.

Quite often opened the batting and bowling in the same tests.

Was a match fixer, banned along with Azharduddin and Ajay Jadeja in the late 90s. The first wave of bannings.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Early Pollock was indeed pretty rapid but by 2002 he had dialled back a little bit in the name of consistency. Was an odd peroid for South African fast bowling, Donald was being increasingly let down by his own body. Ntini had just reemerged but was still raw and ragged, old mate Günther was a loose cannon both on and off field, and there were guys like David Terbrugge and Steve Elworthy getting a few games here and there
You forgot Nantie Hayward.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Dewald Pretorius, too
I know I would have watched games he played in, but I have absolutely no recollection of ever seeing him bowl. Him being finished domestically within almost no time after his test career also puzzles me somewhat