• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kane Williamson

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What was actually predicted of Craig McMillan if you can remember? Was it just the usual "The next Crowe" "The potential to be New Zealand's greatest ever batsmen"?
I think it was mostly just Crowe comparisons.

But I vaguely remember there being huge excitement about his 96/97 season - I see he scored 809 runs @ 73.54 in that season, and I think it was some kind of record at the time.

Jezroy

State Captain
Some of my earliest cricket memories include Dad yelling through the TV at McMillan.

Which is odd because when he burst on to the international scene he was pretty good.
He used to do clever things like hit a 4, go for another one, and get out to Symcox.

10th Match: New Zealand v South Africa at Perth, Jan 16, 1998 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Sad that he is not even 34, and his last test for us was over 5 years ago. Can add him to the Fleming, Astle, Adams, list of players who got out of our team too soon.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Loved him bringing up his maiden fifty against Warne by spanking him straight back over his head for a boundary. No one did that to Warney!

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Sad that he is not even 34, and his last test for us was over 5 years ago. Can add him to the Fleming, Astle, Adams, list of players who got out of our team too soon.
Ugghh, hate this myth. Fleming and Astle were both 35 when they retired. Astle was fading noticeably, which was why he quite before the 2007 world cup. Fleming might have pushed on for another year, but it was hardly like he was going be a long term solution to our problems. And Adams was rubbish, a real domestic green-top bully, and I get sick of people inventing him into some kind of master paceman.

McMillan certainly should've stayed on for longer (and given his ability to carve the ball around I think he would've done quite well for himself in the IPL if he had), but he had weight problems, and diabetes and a slack attitude about his technique, so it wasn't a huge surprise that he chucked it in early. It was really more just bad timing that the core of our best side in 2 decades (Richardson, Cairns, Fleming, Bond, Astle as well as McMillan and Styris) all left within a few years of each other. Hopefully with Ryder, Taylor, Williamson, Southee and a couple of others we'll be able to build ourselves back up before the next inevitable crash into inadequacy in about 10 years time.

Flem274*

123/5
Nah, we have the Rachin kid. In ten years he'll be like Sachin.:ph34r:

We should last a little longer than ten years when half the talented blokes are hovering around 20 atm.

Should. Not will.:ph34r:

thierry henry

International Coach
McMillan in 1997/98 looked like a real genuine talent. He had an uncomplicated technique and seemingly an unerring eye, pretty rare for an NZ player of the time. Definitely a waste of talent as he never improved from there, if anything his technique and strokeplay in his debut season was the best he ever managed. However, I do think he was always lacking against decent quick bowling. His bludgeoning style was well suited to easy paced surfaces and easy paced bowling.

NZ Guy

U19 Captain
So who reckons Williamson will end up averaging 35-40? and we'll wonder what all the hype was about?

Note: This is not a knee jerk it just seems to happen to our 'amazing' players

Flem274*

123/5
Taylor looked crap in his early test days as well, and he grew out of it.

Unlike previous Crowe-heirs (including Taylor), he's already got the technique and game for the top level. No re-training should be needed.

BeeGee

International Captain
So who reckons Williamson will end up averaging 35-40? and we'll wonder what all the hype was about?

Note: This is not a knee jerk it just seems to happen to our 'amazing' players
Looking at his stats and from watching him play, I would say that he's the kind of player who, once he's in, is very hard to dismiss, but is vulnerable at the start of his innings. He looks like he could be an inconsistent type of player.
I'll take a punt and say:
Test average: 38 - 41
ODI average: 41 - 44

Jezroy

State Captain
Looking at his stats and from watching him play, I would say that he's the kind of player who, once he's in, is very hard to dismiss, but is vulnerable at the start of his innings. He looks like he could be an inconsistent type of player.
I'll take a punt and say:
Test average: 38 - 41
ODI average: 41 - 44
Since he is only 20 - this thread could go for a very long time.

I'll say test average of 43, ODI average of 39. I'll check it in 2025. When they no longer play ODI cricket anyway.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I would like to make a prediction but I havn't seen him play enough with my own eyes. I will reserve judgement until I have actually watched him bat for 30 minutes or so.

All I know right now with certainty is that he is nervous and possibly overawed by the occasion.

They have plenty of old hands such as greatbatch to talk to him. Styris can chat to him as well. That said he probably just wants to get on with the next game and not talk too much. At least that is how I would be.

weed wizard

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
nz rockr

Hey all kiwis here,
A question to ya all.

Who is that fan of black cap that shows up in their everymatch.
I m seeing him since 6 yr or so.
He carries two flags.
Has a moustache, looks a bit lyk sir hadlee.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Sonny Shaw.

I've heard he's a bit of a wanker. Also a close friend of Jerry Collins.

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
Has a moustache, looks a bit lyk sir hadlee.
:blink: Please don't ever suggest that Sonny Shaw looks ANYTHING like Sir Richard Hadlee. Sir Richard looks like a Greek God who hath descended from Mt Olympus to live amongst us mere mortals, whereas Sonny Shaw looks like a deformed gremlin that's just crawled out of the bog of eternal stench.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Sonny Shaw is a complete ****wit with an extremely dodgy background - he should not be encouraged in any way, shape or form. A total embarrassment to all New Zealanders.

Last edited: