• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis vs. Dravid

subshakerz

International Coach
I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but given the similarities in both record and style between the two batsmen I feel they make an interesting comparison. In the past years, I always assumed that Dravid was the better batsman (Kallis of course more valuable as an all-rounder) but given the drop in form of Dravid and Kallis new, more assertive approach in the last few years, I am a bit split. Dravid does have an edge in that Kallis has never scored a double hundred, but is that enough to consider him the better batsman? I'm not sure, any thoughts?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but given the similarities in both record and style between the two batsmen I feel they make an interesting comparison. In the past years, I always assumed that Dravid was the better batsman (Kallis of course more valuable as an all-rounder) but given the drop in form of Dravid and Kallis new, more assertive approach in the last few years, I am a bit split. Dravid does have an edge in that Kallis has never scored a double hundred, but is that enough to consider him the better batsman? I'm not sure, any thoughts?
Kallis has scored more hundreds (in less tests) and averages more. Surely that would denote he is the better batsman?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm inclined to say Kallis. There are a lot of points for either but those in favour of Kallis tend to hold more water with me personally.

Close one.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This to me, purely as a comparison as batsmen, is more interesting than any of the Ponting/Lara/Tendulkar/Waugh comparisons.

Tough one. I love them both, but as an Indian supporter probably can't put my bias away to make an objective judgement.

Uppercut

This to me, purely as a comparison as batsmen, is more interesting than any of the Ponting/Lara/Tendulkar/Waugh comparisons.
I fear the debate will collapse into a similar one to those, though.

Personally I think they're somewhere around the same level as any of those players at test level, on anything bar aesthetics. But I can see why the Tendulkars and Laras are more widely loved.

Maybe they'll be appreciated more in retirement.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Its also about when they score their runs, rather than just how many. Dravid is the better test batsman for me. Obviously Kallis the better cricketer.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dravid in batting by a short margin. Kallis overall by a good way.
This.

I often give crap to Kallis for being a selfish batsman and not a game winner of the same ilk as Ponting or Tendulkar, but he IS a very fine batsman and almost certainly the best all rounder of the last twenty years.

Zinzan

Kallis >>>> Dravid as a cricketer

Kallis > Dravid solely as a batsman

for mine

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid=Kallis IMO as batsmen. Struggling to find a legitimate reason to give either the edge, they are so similar.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Dravid not being averse to hitting out when the situation demands is legitimate reason, imo.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd give it to Dravid as far as batting goes, only because Kallis has that South African touch of arrogance about him. For this reason I don't want to talk about them as cricketers overall, as I'd have to give it to Kallis :happy: