• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis retires from Tests

smash84

The Tiger King
Goodbye South Africa's rose, may you forever stay in its arse :ph34r:

What a player. Thanks for the memories Kallis, take a bow :(

smash84

The Tiger King
Goodbye South Africa's rose, may you forever stay in its arse :ph34r:

What a player. Thanks for the memories Kallis, take a bow :(

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The greatest allrounder of the last 20 years and one of the top 4 or 5 batsmen of the same period. The lynchpin of South Africa's success in test cricket and perhaps the 2nd best batting allrounder of all time. Even if he does look like the kinda bloke who would've been on trial at Nuremberg.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Let's not descend into hyperbole though. He may be a statto's wet dream, but a true allrounder he ain't.

Not in the 'Botham in his pomp' sense. But a very, very good batsman.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
What an incredibly good batsman. I preferred watching this guy bat than most others over his career. I'm sad about the fact that he's leaving during a ****** series against India that only lasts 2 tests. But I'm glad I've been able to see him play some good knocks in that time. Good bowler and slip fielder as well. Changing of the guard almost complete.

DDP

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Extremely sad news :(

Goes without saying he added more value to a team than any Lara, Tendulkar or Ponting.

This news makes me even more angry about his joke second inning dismissal when he was looking in fine form.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i have watched south africa play some time in the last 18 years or whatever so i would say kallis is a true all-rounder.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't see this happening for some reason but I guess he decided to get out before he stats began to decline with his form. Without doubt the second best Batting All Rounder and possibly All Rounder period in the history of the game. Great batsman and slip fielder and as he showed last week still capable of taking wickets when required.

He will be missed and with him and Chanderpaul leaving the game it is now truly the end of an era. May never see an era with the likes of Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting and Kallis again.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Extremely sad news :(

Goes without saying he added more value to a team than any Lara, Tendulkar or Ponting.

This news makes me even more angry about his joke second inning dismissal when he was looking in fine form.
Not without saying. Ponting was insane n the field and added a lot in that reguard. Lara was a hope for the WI a lot through his entire career, same for Tendulkar. Kallis is/was amazing but there's more than just batting and bowling in cricket. (yes I know he's a fair slipper)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Kallis
165 matches, 13174 runs @ 55.12. 44 100's
To be fair, SA is going to miss Kallis the bowler more than Kallis the batsman in immediate aftermath of his retirement
Tendulkar
200 matches, 15921 runs @ 53.78. 51 100's

Ponting
168 matches, 13378 runs @ 51.85. 41 100's

ok now let's look at their bowling figures
to be fair, south africa is going to miss Kallis the bowler more than Kallis the batsman in immediate aftermath of his retirement.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Let's not descend into hyperbole though. He may be a statto's wet dream, but a true allrounder he ain't.

Not in the 'Botham in his pomp' sense. But a very, very good batsman.
The irony is that if he was a much worse batsman, say 35 avg, you'd be saying he's a true all rounder

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Not without saying. Ponting was insane n the field and added a lot in that reguard. Lara was a hope for the WI a lot through his entire career, same for Tendulkar. Kallis is/was amazing but there's more than just batting and bowling in cricket. (yes I know he's a fair slipper)
Yea that gets complicated, I rate Tendulkar, Lara and Ponting all above him as batsmen and Ponting and Lara ahead of him in the cordon and we all know what Tendulkar meant to Indian cricket so it is not that clear cut for me.

Dissector

International Debutant
Quite a shock. I thought he would go for Dravid's 210 catch record and 300 wickets. At least he should get his 200th catch in his final game. I rate him and Murali as the two best cricketers of the last 20 years.