• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Just how underrated is Ross Taylor?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
50+ average is an arbitrary measure that I don't really care about, but aside from that - if he'd been more efficient in scoring relatively 'easy' runs then I absolutely would rate him higher.
So would I. I only brought it up because Bell certainly got his fair share of easy runs multiple times... Not talking about pitches or bowling attacks of the opposition but more about the situation in the match. Taylor did seem to make a lot of those runs in the last 3-4 years.

Flem274*

123/5
I love him more than anyone. Seriously. I really, really do.
Just because you keep repeating something it doesn't make it true.

50+ average is an arbitrary measure that I don't really care about, but aside from that - if he'd been more efficient in scoring relatively 'easy' runs then I absolutely would rate him higher.

In saying that, New Zealand pitches throughout his career have generally much flatter on the whole than people give them credit for and he averages 59 at home and 37 away. Unlike many here I don't think that's necessarily better than having those stats the other way around, but I'd say he does benefit a little from flatter than average home surfaces.

As for the thread title - I don't think he's under-rated; maybe occasionally under-considered in the way Cabinet suggested, but not under-rated in the sense that most people think he's worse than he is. If anything I'd consider him slightly over-rated by a couple of members of this forum, particularly in a 'historical standing' sense given he (presumably) still has a fair chunk of his career to go.
Yeah but I think you give longevity way too much weight considering you put Fleming ahead of him until very very recently despite Fleming having less tons from twice as many tests.

Flem274*

123/5
Best NZ bat since Crowe though Williamson may well end up better in time. A very good player who would walk into every side in the world at present.
Williamson will pass them all through ruthless accumulation. If we make this simplistic and he maintains his current career record (which is weaker than how he has played for the past couple of years) he'll have 14 tons at an average of 40 from 78 tests when he's 28 years old. at 32 he'd have over 100 tests and 21 tons, 36 - lots of tests and 28 tons...

He's going to do a Cook and just march on past the lot unless he suddenly sucks or retires early.

Flem274*

123/5
i suppose i should come to expect claiming someone elses as your own from someone who lived in ND for much of their life and supports Wellington.

Athlai

Not Terrible
i suppose i should come to expect claiming someone elses as your own from someone who lived in ND for much of their life and supports Wellington.
Ha! I only lived in ND for 12 years and I'm now 25. So thats no longer true!

Checkmate Flemmmo

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I love him more than anyone. Seriously. I really, really do.
Just because you keep repeating something it doesn't make it true.
Na bugger off Phlegm, I was a hopeless Taylor apologist way before it was cool.
Ha! I only lived in ND for 12 years and I'm now 25. So thats no longer true!

Checkmate Flemmmo
mr english major, you'll notice much =/= most

tastle that
You're the worst.
Even when you disagree, the disagreement is merely over which one of you loves something you both love more. Complete parody.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Actual Northern Districts (i.e. North of Auckland) is quite nice if you exclude Whangarei.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Na bugger off Phlegm, I was a hopeless Taylor apologist way before it was cool.
Just for the record, I've been supporting Taylor against the haterz (i.e. Scaley) since before either of you ****s joined the forum.