• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

John Howard to head ICC?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Tbf Alex did say "in politics".

Doesn't mean that I agree with him though.
True, but discounting someones skill because they lost an election isn't exactly a good theory. Yes, he lost his own seat and his party lost the election. That's popularity (or lack thereof). Popularity is different to the skill of governing and making decisions.

Sir Alex

Banned
True, but discounting someones skill because they lost an election isn't exactly a good theory. Yes, he lost his own seat and his party lost the election. That's popularity (or lack thereof). Popularity is different to the skill of governing and making decisions.
Why did he become unpopular? Yes, antiincumbency is always an important factor. Here but, Howard couldn't even retain his seat, which is spectacularly rare, and suggests much more than just 'anti incumbency'

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Alex why are you pretending like you know about Australian politics? Its very frustrating when you're just putting your foot in your mouth time after time.

And he became increasingly unpopular because he enforced a law which strongly represented his ideology within employment law. An ideology that very much goes against the grain of most Australian views in this area.

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
Why did he become unpopular? Yes, antiincumbency is always an important factor. Here but, Howard couldn't even retain his seat, which is spectacularly rare, and suggests much more than just 'anti incumbency'
About the seat thing.

The demographics and geographical borders of the seat had changed sinced the last election, with a lot of his seat now falling into a Labor area.

Throw into that a highly respected female media personality as a Labor candidate, and it's going to be a success more often than not, regardless of the opponent.

But seriously, when are you going to give up anyway? It's downright embarrassing watching you continue to attempt to prove a point that is clearly and utterly incorrect.

With all due respect, I don't pretent to know much about your political system and I am respectful enough to see that even if I thought I did, it is highly likely that there are people from the relevant areas who would know a heck of a lot more about it than I would. So maybe, just maybe, I'd take in what was being told when I was incorrect in order to learn more about a different political system and the respect that a person may have within the relevant political arena and within that political landscape.

The further you argue the point, the more disrespectful you become of the notion of discussion. Forcing your viewpoints on others is not part of good discussion. Being able to listen, learn and discuss a point with relevant examples is.

PS. Sorry to the other posters who have attempted to enjoy the thread...

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You're yet to provide source where Speed commented on Smith. 8-)

Ha ha, what is this talk about cutting losses and stuff. Don't be childish.
Sir Alex, clearly I was being facetious with regards to Speed. Clearly you're not schooled in the art of sarcasm, so I'll just close the cash register...

On the issue of Howard losing his seat at the last election - more than anything, Howard gave up his seat and campaigned elsewhere because he knew he had a giant task ahead of him as a whole. Maxine McKew (who you're no doubt unfamiliar with because you know SFA about what you're talking about) campaigned intensely on the basis of anti Work Choices, and coupled with her celebrity was successful in winning Bennelong, an electorate which Howard was almost resigned to losing allready due to a lack of hours he put into it.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What exactly is the opposition again? Is it because:

• That, as a politician, he became the PM of a country but lost an election, therefore he cannot hold another post? No other politician, like Pawar, has ever lost an election obviously.
  • That, after administering a country, he doesn't have the organizational experience to administer the ten member ICC board?
  • That, after dealing with international relations for a decade on matters of international and national importance, that he'll find diplomacy over the game of cricket too hard to handle?

Lostman

State Captain

• That, as a politician, he became the PM of a country but lost an election, therefore he cannot hold another post? No other politician, like Pawar, has ever lost an election obviously.
  • That, after administering a country, he doesn't have the organizational experience to administer the ten member ICC board?
  • That, after dealing with international relations for a decade on matters of international and national importance, that he'll find diplomacy over the game of cricket too hard to handle?
Don't know much about his political views nor do I care about them.
However, knowing that he is one of Bush buddies is enough reason for me not to care much about him.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Don't know much about his political views nor do I care about them.
However, knowing that he is one of Bush buddies is enough reason for me not to care much about him.
He was more of an American buddy rather than simply a bush buddy

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
btw, what is the real big deal here? For those who, for whatever reason, oppose him.. Its not like it is a position with any "real" power... It is a figurehead position, like being the president of India. And given who is holding that post right now and being the country's first citizen, ICC could do a lot worse than someone like Howard. For good or bad, he has been good enough to be elected his country's PM so many times.. So give it a rest guys... It is not like they nominated a devil.

GraemeSmith

School Boy/Girl Captain

These are rhetorical questions and you know it. Being the leader of a country mean NOTHING in terms of being a cricket administrator. Howard doesn't have any class or tact in dealing with complicated issues, He has zero experience. You might as well pick up any Tom, Dick or Harry from the street and make him the head of ICC8-)

Whether we put up Hitler or the Devil himself (some would argue we have) our nomination has no right to be overruled. It's done on a rotational basis, whereby nominations should be rubber-stamped by the other countries.
No, the system has built in checks and balances precisely for the reason that people like Hitler can be blocked. The boards are well within their rights to veto this nomination.

pasag

RTDAS
These are rhetorical questions and you know it. Being the leader of a country mean NOTHING in terms of being a cricket administrator. Howard doesn't have any class or tact in dealing with complicated issues, He has zero experience. You might as well pick up any Tom, Dick or Harry from the street and make him the head of ICC 8-)
Yeah agreed, what they should have is two years of the presidential nominee being vice-president so they can gain experience for the top job if necessary. Oh wait...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So Mr. Pawar, while you're busy with cricket, how about those farmer suicides?

You know, in your other job as the minister of agriculture? Obviously not as important as protecting Indian Honor from the uncouth Aussie bastards....

Sir Alex

Banned
So Mr. Pawar, while you're busy with cricket, how about those farmer suicides?

You know, in your other job as the minister of agriculture? Obviously not as important as protecting Indian Honor from the uncouth Aussie bastards....
What has Powar got to do with this topic?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
He is next up you know. And much worse than Howard.

Well, the difference being Howard is overqualified. Pawar is just another corrupt asshole.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Oh look, it's GraemeSmith baiting Australians. There's a keeper for the photo album. Really, just ignore him guys.

Sir Alex

Banned
He is next up you know. And much worse than Howard.

Well, the difference being Howard is overqualified. Pawar is just another corrupt asshole.
So what is your proof? You cannot just go on labelling others as corrupt (he might be) just on a whim. Particularly considering you're raising serious allegations against a Union Minister and a long standing parliamentarian, the site you know could be in trouble.