• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

John Edrich

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
RIP'

Is the most 4s in an innings an under-rated stat because he may not be one of the biggest names in cricket? The only man to score 50 4s, five ahead of the next guy. Feel if it had been a Lara, Pietersen or Richards may have been mentioned more.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Vale.

Had no idea he scored the first ever boundary in ODIs until this morning.

Just a little before my time, although I was actually alive when he played his final test but literally a babe in arms, but a rather impressive record.

The Guadian's obituary reports that Boycott rates him, naming him in the combined Ashes XI from series he (Sir Geoffrey) played in.

Boycs said:
John had one of the greatest temperaments I have ever seen: he could play and miss and it wouldn’t bother him one jot. As with Herbert Sutcliffe, it was impossible to fluster him.
Praise from Caesar.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Fine opening batsman who deserved more recognition in the recent best sides from the last 50 years thread. Comments from lillee and boycott say so much about him. There was a brief period when he and boycott were the best opening pair in the world. Incredibly brave of course. You probably read about him coming back to face Lillee and Thompson with two broken ribs

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fine opening batsman who deserved more recognition in the recent best sides from the last 50 years thread. Comments from lillee and boycott say so much about him. There was a brief period when he and boycott were the best opening pair in the world. Incredibly brave of course. You probably read about him coming back to face Lillee and Thompson with two broken ribs
Absolutely. John, at 39, and a 45 year old Brian Close (whose own bravery famously bordered on the pathological) facing a fired up Windies at OT in 76 with Roberts, Daniel and Holding smelling the blood of Englishmen was probably as close as test cricket got to open warfare.

That it's probably the passage of play he's best remembered for possibly does a disservice to his quality as a batsman but speaks volumes about his testicular fortitude.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I watched the 1975 Morecambe and Wise Christmas special this year for the first time in years and had forgotten that John Edrich featured in it.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I watched the 1975 Morecambe and Wise Christmas special this year for the first time in years and had forgotten that John Edrich featured in it.
That really is the oddest thing. I suppose it takes us back to a time when the BBC's test coverage meant that the the watching millions might be expected to know who John Edrich actually was. I can't imagine that John enjoyed the experience very much. He probably preferred facing the Australians at The Oval a few months previously.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
That really is the oddest thing. I suppose it takes us back to a time when the BBC's test coverage meant that the the watching millions might be expected to know who John Edrich actually was. I can't imagine that John enjoyed the experience very much. He probably preferred facing the Australians at The Oval a few months previously.
He didn’t appear as a guest. They did a scene where Eric and Ernie were in the crowd at Lords during the Test that summer. They show John Edrich hitting a boundary to set the scene and Eric says what a great player he is. Then they make it appear as though Eric is the Lords streaker.

Last edited: