• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joe Root

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
TBF, those are the only two sides who seem to have it in them to challenge RSA for the top spot right now. Quite natural that those two sides get talked in comparison to each other a lot.

ThatCricketGuy

Cricket Spectator
Mods need to do something about this ****. what relevance does all this crap have to Joe Root? keep it in the ashes thread. and should someone really be promoting their blog here either?
I appreiciate that not everyone wants promoting on a forum but I'm just a normal guy who's set up a cricket blog, I'm just getting my views out there like everyone else on this forum is, the only difference is instead of putting my views directly on to a new thread it's on a different web link.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Woop Woop Fun police raid

Ok, so would Australia swap any batsmen for Joe Root?

I have seen every one of Root's matches for England and whilst he has been very impressive in nearly all of them, his shot in the first innings of this test was truly appalling and hinted at a potential problem with the short ball

At his stage, I'd probably only swap Cowan but that's an age and potential thing rather than acertainty
Which makes him a far more complete player than any young Australian batsman I've seen who seem to have a problem with the short ball, the full ball, the swinging ball, the seaming ball and the spinning ball.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I appreiciate that not everyone wants promoting on a forum but I'm just a normal guy who's set up a cricket blog, I'm just getting my views out there like everyone else on this forum is, the only difference is instead of putting my views directly on to a new thread it's on a different web link.
No offence and it's great that you're writing about cricket- anything that promotes cricket in my book is great. But I'm not clicking on a link from a guy who has no posts on the forum. Obviously the mods don't have a problem with it as they would have done something about it by now but personally I don't thinnk you should be allowed to post like that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No offence and it's great that you're writing about cricket- anything that promotes cricket in my book is great. But I'm not clicking on a link from a guy who has no posts on the forum. Obviously the mods don't have a problem with it as they would have done something about it by now but personally I don't thinnk you should be allowed to post like that.
Neither do I, and I am a mod.

ThatCricketGuy, if you want to source your own article, that's okay, but make sure the content is also in this thread. Don't just start a thread and then say "You can find my post here". I'll edit your post to how I'd like any of your blog posts to be presented on this forum. I don't mind if you supply the link as well, but I don't think people should have to be clicking on your links to contribute to the thread.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Amazing how Vic's point has been missed. Basically saying in the fast bowling area, there is a pack with not much between both nations.

Where England win is they have Jimmy, who has done it, against Patto, who looks like he can do it. They also have Swann and Monty whilst Australia have net bowlers.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Amazing how Vic's point has been missed. Basically saying in the fast bowling area, there is a pack with not much between both nations.

Where England win is they have Jimmy, who has done it, against Patto, who looks like he can do it. They also have Swann and Monty whilst Australia have net bowlers.
I seriously doubt that Monty is any better than Lyon

Many experts have ventured the opinion that he has simply had a couple of series where the conditions suited him rather than there being a quantum leap forward in his bowling

akilana

International 12th Man

Many experts have ventured the opinion that he has simply had a couple of series where the conditions suited him rather than there being a quantum leap forward in his bowling
The difference is than Lyon is not succeeding even when conditions suit him.

the big bambino

International Captain
Which makes him a far more complete player than any young Australian batsman I've seen who seem to have a problem with the short ball, the full ball, the swinging ball, the seaming ball and the spinning ball.
Atm batting is Australia's version of "the wheel". (Gee that Doolan looks good...)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

Those experts might want to consider that the most recent of said series was against a line-up that's seen a fair bit of orthodox spin in their time and have historically played it pretty well. They might also want to consider the performances of the Indian spinners in the same conditions against an English side which has not played any sort of spin at all well.

Neither point means that Monty is likely to rip through the Aus line-up in either series this year, but I think he deserves a bit more credit than one or two folks are willing to give him, for whatever reason. I suppose it would be easier to compare him with Lyon if the Aus selectors reckoned the latter was worth more than one game in the current series.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Those experts might want to consider that the most recent of said series was against a line-up that's seen a fair bit of orthodox spin in their time and have historically played it pretty well. They might also want to consider the performances of the Indian spinners in the same conditions against an English side which has not played any sort of spin at all well.

Neither point means that Monty is likely to rip through the Aus line-up in either series this year, but I think he deserves a bit more credit than one or two folks are willing to give him, for whatever reason. I suppose it would be easier to compare him with Lyon if the Aus selectors reckoned the latter was worth more than one game in the current series.
Monty played one match against SL and was punted

He may not play against NZ again in this series after his performance in the first test

I dont mind Monty but he's pretty average (just like Lyon btw) and history says that the chances of him having much of an impact in the Ashes are pretty remote

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Monty played one match against SL and was punted

He may not play against NZ again in this series after his performance in the first test

I dont mind Monty but he's pretty average (just like Lyon btw) and history says that the chances of him having much of an impact in the Ashes are pretty remote
All true. But I'm just saying that he deserves rather more credit for his performances in India that some people will ever give him. That being said, I suppose the main reason why he won't have an impact on the Ashes is that he just won't play unless Swann's injury is even worse than it looks. If he does play on a wicket that has something in it for the slow stuff, I'd fancy him against all but one of your guys tbf..

ThatCricketGuy

Cricket Spectator
Neither do I, and I am a mod.

ThatCricketGuy, if you want to source your own article, that's okay, but make sure the content is also in this thread. Don't just start a thread and then say "You can find my post here". I'll edit your post to how I'd like any of your blog posts to be presented on this forum. I don't mind if you supply the link as well, but I don't think people should have to be clicking on your links to contribute to the thread.
I can understand that - in future I'll take what you've said in to account.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Trophies carry dust but memories last forever; Joe may win the ashes or the World Cup but never again will Joe play with such a great bunch of blokes and cricket club.

Gold