• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jimmy Anderson

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Definitely one of the top dozen bowlers of the 2010s (could even be as high as 6th). Top 5 would be Steyn, Herath, Harris, Philander, Cummins imo.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I think that's not unreasonable. I wouldn't have him that high, but can see why some would opt for it. I mean, if he's going to get away with a ludicrously home-heavy record, may as well throw the other myth Ashwin into the mix as well.

Burgey

This thread is so sour its put me off my coffee

Year on year his average has dropped over a period about 12 years. Meanwhile lesser nations roll out the next big thing, he plays 8 tests, breaks and onto the next. And Jimmy keeps going, and keeps owning batsman.

Brain dead aussies like Burgey can c&p the drivel they've been posting since 2009 all they like, they know deep down the only reason they got their 2-2 draw, and therefore retained The Ashes on a technicality having won them with sandpaper, was that Jimmy suffered a rare injury. It was going to be the end of him, like they all are, and yet here we are. Meanwhile Australian quicks in their early 20s need shin replacements and such like. They don't make them like Jimmy over there.
Lol if he'd played it would have been 4-0. Imagine a slow medium trundler dishing up gentle outswingers to Smith. He'd still be batting now.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
At the end of the tests where they got to 600th wicket, Murali had bowled 5624.3 overs while Anderson 5624.1 which is incredibly close. Any easy way to verify exact moment they got 600th wicket?

a massive zebra

International Captain
At the end of the tests where they got to 600th wicket, Murali had bowled 5624.3 overs while Anderson 5624.1 which is incredibly close. Any easy way to verify exact moment they got 600th wicket?
www.crictracker.com/stats-james-anderson-enters-the-elite-600-wickets-in-test-cricket-list/amp/

33717 – Anderson became the 2nd fastest to 600 wickets in Test cricket in terms of balls bowled. Only Muralitharan (33711) bowled fewer balls than Anderson for reaching the milestone of 600 Test wickets.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Lets not spread fake news. Murali did it in fewer deliveries.
My subsequent post ftr........clearly it ended very very close. Imagine if England had a team that could catch the odd one.

The stat came out at the start of the Pakistan innings, think it was Nass that mentioned if he picks up the 2 wickets inside 13 overs he'll be the quickest to reach 600 in terms of deliveries.

I didn't watch any of last nights play but see Jimmy bowled 19overs in the innings so he may have just missed out on it.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never realized Malcolm Marshall has 1651 FC wickets @19 SR-45. How he managed to take more than 1000 wickets for Hampshire between his international duties is remarkable. Walsh also had 869 wickets for Gloucestershire where he landed the same year of his Windies debut. They were probably the most fit pacers ever.

Jimmy is fit but he's not that kind of fit and he hasn't played LOs for a long time either. But he's still definitely in the upper echelon for fitness.

srbhkshk

International Captain
It's not talked about much but he also has a very soothing and immaculate action and just always looks good whether he is bowling curved missiles or random trash.

flibbertyjibber

Never realized Malcolm Marshall has 1651 FC wickets @19 SR-45. How he managed to take more than 1000 wickets for Hampshire between his international duties is remarkable. Walsh also had 869 wickets for Gloucestershire where he landed the same year of his Windies debut. They were probably the most fit pacers ever.

Jimmy is fit but he's not that kind of fit and he hasn't played LOs for a long time either. But he's still definitely in the upper echelon for fitness.
Talking of fitness it makes you think how much longer Steyn would have gone on if he hadn't played so much of the shorter versions of the game.

a massive zebra

International Captain

Other fast bowlers have taken many more county wickets between their international duties. For instance, Brian Statham took 1,816 wickets for Lancashire and Fred Trueman took 1,745 wickets for Yorkshire.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Other fast bowlers have taken many more county wickets between their international duties. For instance, Brian Statham took 1,816 wickets for Lancashire and Fred Trueman took 1,745 wickets for Yorkshire.
Yeah but no LOs and fewer number of tests back then.

91Jmay

International Coach
This thread is so sour its put me off my coffee

Year on year his average has dropped over a period about 12 years. Meanwhile lesser nations roll out the next big thing, he plays 8 tests, breaks and onto the next. And Jimmy keeps going, and keeps owning batsman.

Brain dead aussies like Burgey can c&p the drivel they've been posting since 2009 all they like, they know deep down the only reason they got their 2-2 draw, and therefore retained The Ashes on a technicality having won them with sandpaper, was that Jimmy suffered a rare injury. It was going to be the end of him, like they all are, and yet here we are. Meanwhile Australian quicks in their early 20s need shin replacements and such like. They don't make them like Jimmy over there.
It's is unfortunate that the Aussie quicks seem to have an almost biological softness. Do they eat enough beef I wonder?