• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ishant Sharma v. Dale Steyn

Dale Steyn v. Ishant Sharma

• Dale Steyn

Votes: 44 67.7%
  • Ishant Sharma

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • I voted in this poll therefore I rule!!! :lol:

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok... both have had incredible series of late and bothe are being touted as the pace golden-child in their respective countries and in the spirit of raising awareness to the potential encounters on the cricket field in the near future.

Did I ention that another poll probably couldn't hurt?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So far Steyn's obviously accomplished far more. And if Sharma wasn't an Indian seamer, with all the potential pitfalls that involves, I'd back him over Steyn every second of every day, for one crucial reason - the height difference.

Both very young; both have problems with overstepping that seem to be getting better; both more accurate now than they were not so long ago; both get great movement away from the right-hander, though Steyn is the far more skillful swing bowler; both around the same sort of speed out of the hand; and both something of great-white-hope types.

But Sharma has the height that can make such a massive difference, Steyn's shortness will always be a handicap to him. Sharma has such a greater margin-for-error in length, and will be able to get the edges he gets to carry more often with his frame than Steyn.

But I honestly wouldn't want to predict great things for an Indian seamer. We've seen countless ones who appear to have some potential, Munaf Patel the most recent case (right now it might be fair to call Ishant the new Munaf, and Munaf made his debut 2 years ago FFS) but there are always a great many things that can go wrong. So right now, given Steyn's been around for longer and hence done more, I'd go for him.

No rule is without exception, though, and if we're lucky Ishant might just end-up India's greatest-ever seam-bowler. Something I don't hesistate to say is beyond Steyn for South Africa, though that's not entirely fair as clearly Allan Donald >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kapil Dev.

EDIT: YOU GOT A SMILEY IN THE POLL OPTIONS???????????????? How... I never knew this was possible. :-O

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Both very young; both have problems with overstepping that seem to be getting better; both more accurate now than they were not so long ago; both get great movement away from the right-hander, though Steyn is the far more skillful swing bowler; Steyn's probably 6-7kph quicker, but that doesn't really make any great difference; and both something of great-white-hope types.
Well, Steyn must be bowling awfully quick then because Sharma was averaging 145km/h+ and topped 150km/h a few times during the ODI's. From what I've seen of Steyn, I'd say they're both about the same.

I'd back Steyn right now, though. He's done so much more in Tests already. Too early to say who'll be better in the future, though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, Steyn must be bowling awfully quick then because Sharma was averaging 145km/h+ and topped 150km/h a few times during the ODI's. From what I've seen of Steyn, I'd say they're both about the same.
Yeah? Cripes, whenever I saw Sharma he was 132-135kph or so. Never had a clue he was getting it down that fast.

Will edit the previous post.

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Seems unbeliavable that he could put on at least 10kph in a matter of months, unless he chose to cut his pace down against Pakistan. :unsure:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well I'm backing Corey's ability to read speedgun-readouts TBH. :) And I didn't watch any of the ODIs live, so I just presumed he was sending 'em down at the same speed in said games as he was in the Tests.

Top_Cat

Well I'm backing Corey's ability to read speedgun-readouts TBH. :) And I didn't watch any of the ODIs live, so I just presumed he was sending 'em down at the same speed in said games as he was in the Tests.
Yeah it was quite shocking. In the Tests here, he was averaging mid 130's with the occasional ball past 140km/h. Suddenly in the ODI's, he was Waqar Younis. Rarely see such a dramatic turn around.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah watched the matches as well, am just genuinely amazed he put that much speed on.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sharma; Steyn has a fruity first name tbh.

Seriously tho, Steyn's about three years into his international career (debuted against us in 04/05 if memory serves) so is further along the road to being the finished article. Sharma looks a considerbaly better bowler at this stage of his career than Steyn did.

readie

State Regular
Steyn is a better bowler and is a more accomplished bowler at this stage in my opinion but Sharma has the potential to become a better bowler than Steyn, its a bit difficult to compare them due to the fact they are at different stages of their international career though to be honest.

Burgey

I've seen more of Sharma than Steyn, and it appears Ishant has the hair cut to be the better bowler.

They seem a bit different though. From what little I've seen of Steyn, he seems to rely on swing a bit more than Sharma, who gets more bounce and seems to do more off the deck.
Both seem good prospects though.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Steyn is clearly the better bowler right now. Just like there was with Pathan, Balaji, and a host of others, there is way too much expectation from this kid right now. You also have to remember that Sharma is half a decade younger than Steyn.

Hopefully people will leave him be and let him develop for three or four years. Obviously, no chance that its going to happen, but one can hope. He has potential, and hopefully he can realize it.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

I'd back Steyn right now, though. He's done so much more in Tests already. Too early to say who'll be better in the future, though.
I wouldn't say he was averaging those speed's. He would start off (along with Sreesanth) bowling those speeds then after a few overs would be consitent around the 135km/h to 140km/h while occassionally reaching 145km/h.

sideshowtim

Banned
The only people who would vote for Sharma at this point are Indians. Sharma had one decent Test series. Wasn't even a great series. Decent. Steyn has been absolutely thumping teams for a good year or so now.

pasag

RTDAS
The only people who would vote for Sharma at this point are Indians. Sharma had one decent Test series. Wasn't even a great series. Decent. Steyn has been absolutely thumping teams for a good year or so now.
Actually, on these lines (and taking with regards to your average non-cricket tragic) I think you'll find that it would be Australians that voted for Sharma more than anything as many Australians, from what I've seen, tend to rate players that achieved against their side, usually in a home summer, much higher. Steyn, who many Australians wouldn't have seen with their own eyes wouldn't get rated as highly until he perfoms against Australia.