• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ishant Sharma v. Dale Steyn

Dale Steyn v. Ishant Sharma

• Dale Steyn

Votes: 44 67.7%
  • Ishant Sharma

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • I voted in this poll therefore I rule!!! :lol:

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Sharma has only shown himself as a potential future world number 1 in one country, one which is conducive to his style of bowling. He looks distintly good, not great, in subcontinental conditions, just bowling 135kph. However, this may be due to the fact that Indian speed guns may be a tad slow considering that Indian speed guns were reading less than Australian ones in Australia on the same delivery.

Woodster

International Captain
I agree that a comparison between the two is rather difficult due to their contrasting styles. As mentioned earlier, Ishant Sharma is more similar in style to Stuart Broad than Dale Steyn, but I understand the comparison with both Steyn and Sharma being talked up a great deal at the moment.

One factor of course, is the home series that these two players will compete in. Steyn will have the generally seamer friendly tracks of South Africa, while Sharma will need to hone all his skills to have consistent success in India. Will this make Sharma a better bowler and Steyn a little complacent if wickets are easier to come by? It is of course all speculation.

Sharma enjoyed the bounce of the Australian tracks and his height is a welcome bonus. Steyn has developed much more accuracy and his outswingers delivered at good pace will be a handful for any side. Styen has so far achieved more in Test cricket, and like a few of our posters have said, how many times have we been excited about a potential Indian seamer good enough to mix it with the best.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting, exactly what Jack McNamara once said about Donald.

One thing I'd ask: which bowler enjoys not starting well?
No one, but that's not the point. The point is that some bowlers are capable of bouncing back from a bad start - the Glenn McGraths. Others start poorly and can't recover - Daren Powells, for example. I suspect that Steyn is South Africa's Powell.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
The only people who would vote for Sharma at this point are Indians. Sharma had one decent Test series. Wasn't even a great series. Decent. Steyn has been absolutely thumping teams for a good year or so now.
Or may be you voted for Ishant Sharma( knowing it very well that it is not public poll), because you actually think he is a better bowler and also accomplish your favorite past-time on this forum i.e. bad mouth Indian fans. Shooting two targets from one bullet ?

bond21

Banned
Steyn.

I havent seen someone destroy a batting lineup like he did against NZ in a long time.

And its not because theyre weak, they beat England in the first test so theyre at least competant.

His stock ball is unbelievable when he gets it right, he angles it into the pads then swings it away to off stump

R_D

International Debutant
Steyn.

I havent seen someone destroy a batting lineup like he did against NZ in a long time.

And its not because theyre weak, they beat England in the first test so theyre at least competant.

His stock ball is unbelievable when he gets it right, he angles it into the pads then swings it away to off stump
Na NZ have pretty weak batting lineup.
Agree with veryone's sentiments.. too hard to compare as one guy's played many matches while other is just starting his career. Eitherway if both remain fit than should be exciting times ahead, watching these 2 bowl.

cricman

International 12th Man
I don't know if anybody posted this, but Steyn is very Ordinary in ODI's. He's a demi God in Test Cricket ... Hopefully we'll see Ishant in the 2nd Test to see how he fares ... tho I was impressed when he took 5fer In pakistan. As of right now Steyn in Tests and Ishnat in ODI's

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Too early to say, for me....

I juz hope both men go on to fulfill their obvious potential and are as injury free as they can be. And I do hope they don't start believing their own hype, which has happened a lot of times with other players, most recently Pathan and Balaji.

pietersenrocks

U19 Vice-Captain
Well,Steyn is gunna make every batsmen pee in their pants in future....but,Sharma will as **** as the Indian quickies which come and gone in the past.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Well,Steyn is gunna make every batsmen pee in their pants in future....but,Sharma will as **** as the Indian quickies which come and gone in the past.
I'm not one to trumpet Indian fast bowling phenoms, but I don't remember an Indian pacer who looked quite as potent as he has. Still a long way to go and a lot to do, but he seems better prepared than practically every bowler India has debuted in the last 5 years or so. Certainly good enough to avoid such negative sweeping statements.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Steyn.

England bowled and batted very poorly in that match. New Zealand's batting is only slightly better than West Indies, at best.
I don't know if anybody posted this, but Steyn is very Ordinary in ODI's. He's a demi God in Test Cricket ... Hopefully we'll see Ishant in the 2nd Test to see how he fares ... tho I was impressed when he took 5fer In pakistan. As of right now Steyn in Tests and Ishnat in ODI's
Steyn is the type of bowler who will likely always be poor in ODI cricket. He's not the economical type. When he's economical in Test cricket, it's because the batsmen are under pressure, because there are more fielders around the bat and he has more freedom to be aggressive. Stating the obvious though. I think his ODI record is a non-issue.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
England bowled and batted very poorly in that match. New Zealand's batting is only slightly better than West Indies, at best.

Steyn is the type of bowler who will likely always be poor in ODI cricket. He's not the economical type. When he's economical in Test cricket, it's because the batsmen are under pressure, because there are more fielders around the bat and he has more freedom to be aggressive. Stating the obvious though. I think his ODI record is a non-issue.
Its his death bowling which is the problem and the reason why his average is so high, with the new ball there is no real concerns with him.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Its his death bowling which is the problem and the reason why his average is so high, with the new ball there is no real concerns with him.
Because he can be aggressive with an aggressive field with the new ball. Same point I just stated. He's never going to be able to (consistently) bowl all 10 of his overs in the first half of the innings, so he's unlikely to be an outstanding ODI bowler.

Flem274*

123/5
Whats the point in this debate? Its obvious Tim Southee will be better than both:p

Way too early to judge at this stage, they both look promising though

TBH a good deal of their success will be on who can partner these guys. Two is always better than one lone ranger.

On a sidenote, the NZ team in SA that Steyn destroyed is almost completely different to the current one, not to mention far weaker, so perhaps Steyns achievements weren't quite what they looked. Still a bloody awesome bowler though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

The point of the thread, contrary to its title and the initial topic, has become to discuss the merits and drawbacks of each player, rather than a strict comparison between the two.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
On a sidenote, the NZ team in SA that Steyn destroyed is almost completely different to the current one, not to mention far weaker, so perhaps Steyns achievements weren't quite what they looked. Still a bloody awesome bowler though.
The difference between the NZ team then and now isn't that much different, Flem.
It's interesting, mind...
Cumming... did OK \ How... done a bit better than OK so far.
Papps \ Bell - both hopeless so far.
Fleming - played OK in both series, SA bowled (and caught) better at him than England.
Sinclair... hopeless so far \ Styris... hopeless in SA.
Taylor... ITSTL, TBH. Was certainly hopeless in SA, and though I'm almost certain he's played better against England, it could just be the undeniably-worse catching and bowling.
Oram - hopeless in both series.
McCullum - played the same in both series IMO, SA's bowling and catching just too good for him, unlike England's.
Vettori - certainly played better against England than SA, though wasn't bad in either series.