• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is SKY the new ABdV?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think that means Bevan and others aren't in the argument though.

_Ed_

Bevan is the best I've seen in my time watching ODIs, I reckon. But maybe his numerous match-winning innings against NZ are carrying a bit of weight there.

TheJediBrah

Hard to compare Bevan because he was an undisputed ATG of a format that hasn't really existed since the early-00s. ODIs are a completely different game now, and it's easier to see Viv fitting into it than Bevan

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Hard to compare Bevan because he was an undisputed ATG of a format that hasn't really existed since the early-00s. ODIs are a completely different game now, and it's easier to see Viv fitting into it than Bevan
I think he would have adapted. Till he went out of form, Eoin Morgan did play the same role successfully and Bevan would have done better.

TheJediBrah

I think he would have adapted. Till he went out of form, Eoin Morgan did play the same role successfully and Bevan would have done better.
Of course he would have, probably would have had a similar career to Mike Hussey but slightly better. But he still never actually did it so it's hard to think of him that way, or compare him to players more suited to what ODIs have become.

Though I feel like we have started getting more lower-scoring ODIs over the last few years, with more difficult batting conditions, which is a very good thing IMO. The last decade+ of ODIs being extended T20s on roads has been incredibly boring

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
When Australia batted first Bevan's SR was 80 which is very respectable for 94-04. Same as Ponting, Mark Waugh, Gibbs, Martyn, Anwar, etc.
That's nothing unusual especially for players in that role. Dhoni and Hussey also have a much better SR when batting first compared to batting second.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Smith has some pretty gritty knocks but watching him bat was an eyesore
First time I’ve heard a bloke with a SR of 60 being described as an eyesore to watch tbh.

Kallis 1 and Amla 4, clearly.

I rate AB above Smith though. I would be lying if I said recency bias wasn't a factor, but AB playing a fair bit longer when pitches got tough and bowlers got good swings it for me. Smith had a short career, and timed it spectacularly to coincide with weak bowlers and dull pitches. Even the RSA pitches, which tbf were always juicy by historical international standards, were in a bit of a lull in Smith's career... 90s and mid 2010s on were real harsh.
AB’s career was literally only 15 months longer than Smith’s and Smith still played more tests than him. AB played only 22 tests on these spicy pitches post Smith (missing 15), and was outperformed by Amla, Elgar and Faf during that period, all of whom played more tests.

Clearly an overrated downskier who only scored so well because he came in after Smith, Amla and Kallis in their primes.