• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Ricky Ponting a better batsman than Brian Lara?

Ricky Ponting vs Lara

• Total voters

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Personally I think Ponting=Tendulkar >Lara. Just my opinion. By the reason I am requesting everyone to stick to the topic is because we've had loads of Tendulkar vs Lara and Tendulkar vs Ponting debates. :wacko:
Yeah there's been literally hundreds since you joined the forum two weeks ago.

Maximus0723

State Regular
Wow I am surprised I am saying this but I agree with Ikki and most of what he is saying except the fact that he thinks Sachin isn't in top 5-6.

subshakerz

International Coach
Ponting was probably more comfortable against pace bowling, Lara has a big edge against spin. Overall, Lara, but like all all-time greats, there's not much between them.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Why are you guys so damn obsessed with stats, just watch them play at their prime. Lara dominated bowling in the most breathtaking fashion, his range of strokes was just unreal, Lara was a COMPLETE player much like Tendulkar. Ponting is one of the most naturally gifted batsmen of all time but he never seemed dominant against spin, yes he did play spin really well at times in his career, but never really dominated the best opposing spin bowlers like Lara and tendulkar did with Warne, Murali and Kaneria.

I have always felt Ponting had a comparatively weak square on the offside game, he never looks elegant or at home playing the square cut or slashing the ball past point. Hes the best puller of the 3, but Lara could pull nearly as well

Anyhow, Lara and Tendulkar just carried a different aura around them, opposing bowlers feared and prized their wicket more. Tendulkar and Lara are just a class above everyone else, Ponting is in the next tier but I would say clearly above the rest.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Lara in his prime was definitely better. However his later years were far more inconsistent, he wasn't really the same player. Ponting wins on consistency, but I'd still take Lara overall. Just prefer him really.

I tend to think Lara's career would've looked better if he hadn't played on so long past his prime. If the west indies hadn't been shooting itself in the head, he could've bowed out earlier.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ponting's problems against spin are overstated. He has been terrific against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka, clearly he can play spin. Btw Lara's record in India isn't all that great....And Ponting is undoubtedly the better player of pace.
Lara played one series in India in 94... It's stupid to take it as a sample size.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And Lara, other than that one brilliant series in 2001 against Murali, didn't exactly demolish Murali either. And another thing is Lara's away record - it's funny but somehow most his great innings have come at home. His away average is in the mid 40s if I am not much mistaken.

And when it comes to pace, Ponting is far superior. Ponting has played guys like Donald and Wasim in a way Lara never managed to.
That's ridiculous... When did Ponting score these oh so glorious runs against Donald?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
In Australia - Ponting 60.87 Lara 41.97
In England - Ponting 44.10 Lara 48.76
In India - Ponting 20.86 Lara 33
In New Zealand - Ponting 97.66 Lara 36.90
In Pakistan- Ponting 119 Lara 48.15
In South Africa - Ponting 54.18 Lara 46.72
In Sri Lanka - Ponting 54.45 Lara 100.85
In West Indies - Ponting 78 Lara 58.65

If we take anything >50 as success, Ponting has succeeded in Australia, New Zealand, Pakistan,South Africa, Sri Lanka and West Indies. For Lara, it's only Sri Lanka and West Indies. Nice try indeed!!!

Firstly, I never said 'dominated'. Don't put words in my mouth. But scoring 197 against Wasim isn't good enough for you, is it ? Lara could only score his first 100 after Wasim retired, I wonder what you'd say to that. Speaking of Donald, wonder why Lara never scored a century when he was around and Ponting did?
Lara did not play against Wasim in any series except the one in 97 away, did he? And those averages mean nothing as you have cleverly left out the no. of games there, as it would show up the facts...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
A valid point. But just out of interest, what was the duration of their respective captaincy stints? And also, IMO the team makes a huge difference to captaincy. It's easier to lead a champion side than a crap side. I believe that Ponting > Lara but this argument doesn't quite cut it. Since McGrath and Warne retired, I think he's been averaging in the low 40s. There are advantages of captaining a crap side - like scoring huge runs on the pretext of drawing games - something Lara took full advantage of.
I am not gonna fall for this nonsense again but you do realize that THOSE games WOULD NOT have been draws but for Lara... And yes, of course, every single cricket expert knows what you don't... That is why most of them rate Lara..

To speak without emotion, something I haven't done yet in this thread seeing the stupid denigration of another great as usual, I think Ponting is great and deserves to be bracketed alongside Sachin and Lara but for it would always be Lara slightly above Sachin slightly above Ponting... And one more argument about scoring in draws is gonna make me throw up.

You do understand that most games that Ponting scored in would have been draws too but for McWarne... 8-)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think you touched on the thing that Lara is well known for in playing for himself and not the team. Even his profile on cricinfo mentions how he could not inspire his team and was at odds with many of his team-mates and was at odds with team management.
The fault could just as easily be with his team mates. AFter all, I have heard a number of good things being said about him by blokes like Gayle, Sarwan (pre 2007), Bravos, Baraths, Dillon, Edwards, Taylor, Collymore, Dave Mohamed, Ganga.. It is only those dudes with a bit of an attitude like Samuels who say something about him. And I would Lara's words over Samuels any day... The guy has amongst the worst attitudes I have seen from anyone towards team mates...