• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Michael Clarke the worst leaver in the game?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
We've seen him get out some shocking ways when leaving the ball. There was that ODI against Zimbabwe, and the one against New Zealand where he advanced down the pitch and left the ball to be bowled by Vettori. Then there was last night and he's been out LBW a few times leaving the ball aswell.

So the question is....Is Michael Clarke the worst leaver in the game?

Can't think of another player off the top of my head who gets out so many times leaving the ball.
+ leaving Harby in the SCG Test (from memory), off spinner and let it hit his pad.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hussey seems to get bowled an awful lot for a top order batsman, although I can't honestly recall too many terrible leaves from him as such.

Anyway, more reverse swing, but Katich might be regretting offering now shot to this pearler from Fred. And we also get to see what Jonah can do to Clarke's stumps with murray mints and an ageing ball.

EDIT: Mike Hussey, I should probably clarify with his kid bro there or thereabouts too nowadays.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Hussey seems to get bowled an awful lot for a top order batsman, although I can't honestly recall too many terrible leaves from him as such.

EDIT: Mike Hussey, I should probably clarify with his kid bro there or thereabouts too nowadays.
What an insight, Gelman's been saying this for about 18 months

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year

Anyway, more reverse swing, but Katich might be regretting offering now shot to this pearler from Fred. And we also get to see what Jonah can do to Clarke's stumps with murray mints and an ageing ball.

On second thoughts that second ball which gets Clarke may actually have been a ball
that seamed back in off the turf rather tha reverse swing.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What an insight, Gelman's been saying this for about 18 months
Yeah, in fact I very nearly said "as saggers has been saying" in my post, but CBA in the end. My thinking on most subjects largely untroubled by originality for a good few years now, anyway.

Back on the subject at hand, I think (and I could be entirely wrong in this belief) that Australian (& South African to a lesser extent) batsmen tend to leave far more balls alone than their English counterparts. I think growing up on truer, bouncier pitches has possibly made them more inclined to leave balls on length alone, regardless of line. Because our chaps play on sappier strips their instinct is more to defend because they're more often betrayed by variable bounce. Pietersen is a good leaver and obviously he learnt his cricket elsewhere.

The habits acquired in youth inform the man, so is it possible that chaps like Clarke are occasionally undone by changeable bounce because of this?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, in fact I very nearly said "as saggers has been saying" in my post, but CBA in the end. My thinking on most subjects largely untroubled by originality for a good few years now, anyway.

Back on the subject at hand, I think (and I could be entirely wrong in this belief) that Australian (& South African to a lesser extent) batsmen tend to leave far more balls alone than their English counterparts. I think growing up on truer, bouncier pitches has possibly made them more inclined to leave balls on length alone, regardless of line. Because our chaps play on sappier strips their instinct is more to defend because they're more often betrayed by variable bounce. Pietersen is a good leaver and obviously he learnt his cricket elsewhere.

The habits acquired in youth inform the man, so is it possible that chaps like Clarke are occasionally undone by changeable bounce because of this?
Yeah, maybe. That could just be over-theorising though.

On the subject, batsmen get out a lot more often playing defensive shots to balls not hitting the stumps than they do leaving balls that are. So despite looking like a bit of a fool sometimes, maybe Michael Clarke with a test batting average of almost 50 has got the balance better than most.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Compared to his overall batsmanship, yes IMO.

I also think he's one of the worst cutters of the ball going around (comparatively again, obv). I'm sure there are worse cutters who just don't play the shot but Clarke's terrible technique when playing it is so evident given how often he attempts it.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Compared to his overall batsmanship, yes IMO.

I also think he's one of the worst cutters of the ball going around (comparatively again, obv). I'm sure there are worse cutters who just don't play the shot but Clarke's terrible technique when it is so evident given how often he attempts it.
Loves to collapse the back leg. Always think he's going to be caught at gully, or snick to the keeper.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Loves to collapse the back leg. Always think he's going to be caught at gully, or snick to the keeper.
He also absolutely nails them if he gets it right, especially off spinners. Some cuts I've seen him play, never seen anyone hit them as hard.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Seen the video a million times, but it's pretty obvious what he tried to do. He wanted to make room for himself, but Tait saw him and fired at the base of leg. Lambert probably went too far back as well.

It certainly makes a lot more sense than Clarke's leave against Vettori, which frankly, makes me concerned over his mental state.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Been said before, but a man can't be regularly having his way with Lara Bingle and be expected to concentrate on cricket to the degree required at international cricket.

Precambrian

Banned
Mitchell Johnson manages to do it, despite having Jessica Bratich as arm candy.

Or could be reason why Midge opted out of IPL.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Bingle > Bratich.

And i'll want photographic proof to consider before any attempt is made to change my mind.