• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is IPL required?

BeeGee

International Captain
On the flip side, we don't want young cricketers prioritising the development of their T20 skills for financial gain either. Glenn Maxwell earning so much more than Alastair Cook can't really be great for the game.
By "we" I assume you mean FC/Test cricket lovers?

Personally, I agree with you, but what if the future of cricket is T20 and not Test matches?
Over my lifetime I've watched the popularity of Test cricket wane and ODIs and T20 evolve as a result.

At this stage I think the first priority is for cricket to be able to compete well against other sports for young talent.

At the end of the day the sport watching public will decide what they want to watch and therefore what direction the sport develops in.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's not for me, I will watch it, am now, because I'll watch any cricket on the box. Even Womens FFS.

Yet, I think this is a very poor version of it. I like t20 as well. Yet the Indian bowlers are often what let it down, there's so few I want to watch.

You look at this match being played now, how many of Pune bowlers are remotely interesting to watch.

Dale Steyn the only one on view in this match. Most bowling is just turgid spoiler stuff, IMHO.

Ishant Sharma and Ashok Dinda are not something I want to see in a world-wide Top-Class competition.
And yet unfortunately, not only are they main bowlers for their franchises and domestic sides, they are in the Indian Test Squad FFS. I mean, you probably have to watch them anyway if say you tuned in for a test match India are playing.. :p

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
It's not for me, I will watch it, am now, because I'll watch any cricket on the box. Even Womens FFS.

Yet, I think this is a very poor version of it. I like t20 as well. Yet the Indian bowlers are often what let it down, there's so few I want to watch.

You look at this match being played now, how many of Pune bowlers are remotely interesting to watch.

Dale Steyn the only one on view in this match. Most bowling is just turgid spoiler stuff, IMHO.

Ishant Sharma and Ashok Dinda are not something I want to see in a world-wide Top-Class competition.
But any domestic tournament is going to have average players involved. It's probably more frustrating in the IPL, because they get paid more and the sides are allowed 4 overseas players, so you expect the general standard to be high. But lets face it, some of the bowling you'd get in a Somerset v Leicestershire (or whatever) game at Taunton is hardly incredible.

I think it's important to remember you're watching a domestic tournament, not the World T20 v2.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And yet unfortunately, not only are they main bowlers for their franchises and domestic sides, they are in the Indian Test Squad FFS. I mean, you probably have to watch them anyway if say you tuned in for a test match India are playing.. :p
Indeed, that's why I mentioned those two really, they're the best, but there are plenty below it. It was a general dislike of Indian bowlers ATM.

But any domestic tournament is going to have average players involved. It's probably more frustrating in the IPL, because they get paid more and the sides are allowed 4 overseas players, so you expect the general standard to be high. But lets face it, some of the bowling you'd get in a Somerset v Leicestershire (or whatever) game at Taunton is hardly incredible.

I think it's important to remember you're watching a domestic tournament, not the World T20 v2.
Totally agreed, and that's why I'd expect most Indian fans not to want to watch Somerset-Leicester. I only prefer it, because it's my domestic league.

Yet the IPL is not marketed as just another domestic league, is it?

Mind you, I've rather forgotten my main bloody dislike of the thing, it's too bloody long. Which I don't think helps in the intensity for players and watchers.

I would also like all domestic one-day stuff to be a lot shorter, but that's not going to happen.

Dale was fired up for this match, and that was fun, doubt he will be for that many other matches.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
On the flip side, we don't want young cricketers prioritising the development of their T20 skills for financial gain either. Glenn Maxwell earning so much more than Alastair Cook can't really be great for the game.
Willing to bet ECB central contracts are much more handsomely paid than we tend to imagine.

There's been a lot of comment on players like Broad, Anderson, or even Bopara or Patel "prioritising their country over money" or some such by not going to the IPL - but it seems more likely to me that the Test side is where the real money is after all.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Willing to bet ECB central contracts are much more handsomely paid than we tend to imagine.

There's been a lot of comment on players like Broad, Anderson, or even Bopara or Patel "prioritising their country over money" or some such by not going to the IPL - but it seems more likely to me that the Test side is where the real money is after all.
Maxwell's on a million dollar contract for this season though. I highly doubt Cook earns that much even if he is earning as much or more than the typical IPL player.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I'm not holding you to an inconsistency in thought or criticizing you because one can legitimately hold different things to different standards but this is such a non-liberetarian thing to say. :p

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'm not holding you to an inconsistency in thought or criticizing you because one can legitimately hold different things to different standards but this is such a non-liberetarian thing to say. :p
**** that you pointed this out, means I missed a perfect opportunity to pull a communist cevno on him

Cabinet96

Global Moderator

Aren't they 400k a year?

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
I get a feeling Cook is on more than 400k a year could be wrong but I remember the wages been mentioned in AOC or the Cricketer a few issues back.

uvelocity

International Coach
The only issue I have with it is the fact that there now seems to be an unofficial window for it. It's no coincidence that there's very little international cricket during the tournament and it really hurts West Indian cricket especially. For that reason it has a far greater impact than just being a domestic T20 competition.

I have no issue with it other than that.
why is it worse for west indian cricket in particular? also its bad for cw having a window.... lack of posts

greg

International Debutant
The main problem could be the effect it is allegedly having on lower developmental levels of the game. If young kids are all playing 2020 cricket rather than more traditional forms then there simply won't be the base for first class cricket. And i actually don't think playing exclusively 2020 cricket during development is likely to make someone a good 2020 player at higher levels either. It is a lot easier to adapt from first class cricket to 2020 than vice versa. All cricket requires a good technique to some extent and you just won't get that growing up playing 2020.

stumpski

International Captain
All young kids start off playing a short form of the game though don't they? Maybe not 20 overs necessarily, but generally you don't send 9,10,11 year olds to field for 40 or 50 overs. I wan't in the school team or anything like that (they played on Saturdays, so had more time available) but when I think back to my schooldays we only had a couple of hours to play a match in, so they would probably have been 15 overs a side or thereabouts. I agree though that for adults/professionals, it's easier to adapt downwards.

VCC44

School Boy/Girl Captain
One article I read (possibly by Michael Atherton) suggested that the rise of T20 and the domestic tournaments esp IPL could lead to club sides being more powerful than national teams in the future, such as in football where there's no doubt EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga sides etc are holding much more sway. Not something I'd like to see but maybe others would?

On the length of the tournament, personally I reckon iof the organisers would shorten it then it should be given an official window. It's not going away anytime soon, players will want to earn the money and you may as well let them have it while making sure it doesn't impact on international cricket. One effect of this could be though that all countries will demand a window for their own tournament?

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
why is it worse for west indian cricket in particular? also its bad for cw having a window.... lack of posts
Yeah, April is the peak of their season really. It clashes with the English season as well, but the internationals don't start until mid to late May usually, so it only clashes with County stuff.

All young kids start off playing a short form of the game though don't they? Maybe not 20 overs necessarily, but generally you don't send 9,10,11 year olds to field for 40 or 50 overs. I wan't in the school team or anything like that (they played on Saturdays, so had more time available) but when I think back to my schooldays we only had a couple of hours to play a match in, so they would probably have been 15 overs a side or thereabouts. I agree though that for adults/professionals, it's easier to adapt downwards.
Yeah, club junior cricket is pretty much all 20 overs. I didn't start playing 40 over and all day games until I started playing senior cricket. Mind you, I started playing senior cricket at the age of 12.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Maxwell's on a million dollar contract for this season though. I highly doubt Cook earns that much even if he is earning as much or more than the typical IPL player.
That's about £680k I believe, which means if Cook is on the £400k captain's rate (which I'd imagine has gone up given that was believed to be the wage 3-4 years ago) then his endorsments would almost certainly take him above that. Though his endorsments could conceivably go up if he played IPL, so dunno.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, April is the peak of their season really. It clashes with the English season as well, but the internationals don't start until mid to late May usually, so it only clashes with County stuff.
Disagree, the IPL is starting to negatively impact the first series of the English summer because players are starting to arrive in England a matter of days before the first Test and skipping warmups.