• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is global spin bowling about to decline?

davado

School Boy/Girl Captain
i think simon harmer is a great spin bowler for south africa, unfortunately maharaj will probably be picked instead of him after taking a few wickets on a turning wicket .
But harmer's subtlety suggests he will take wickets in any conditions. I just love watching him bowl with his tiny variations. Brilliant test bowler who probably wont play many tests,sadly

Flem274*

123/5
If you told an NZ fan this post would occur, and be completely true, a few years ago I think they would have either not believed you, or hurled themselves off a cliff. But it is true, and it's horrifying. Please excuse me while I go bungy jumping, sans cord.
Yeah we won 3 of the first 5 Ajaz/Somerville tests (though Santner might have played on Ajaz' debut tbf) through the Pakistan/SL series and we dropped one of them after he was loose in India following a long offseason of nothing and the other two bad overs after completing a 10fer.

Fire Gary Stead, Shane Jurgensen and Gavin Larsen. Teach KW what a spinner is.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Harbajan in the Dhoni years was a quality away bowler. He had very good series in NZ and SA and was an important factor for India doing well in these series.
Not really. He has that one good series in NZ and a decent series in SA and thats pretty much that.

Since beginning of 2006 till 2015 (that's a full decade), Harby played 53 tests, took 198 wickets @ 38. The worst thing is that he was bad at home, 111 wickets from 27 matches @ 36. For an Indian spinner, those are unpardonable stats.

subshakerz

International Coach
Not really. He has that one good series in NZ and a decent series in SA and thats pretty much that.

Since beginning of 2006 till 2015 (that's a full decade), Harby played 53 tests, took 198 wickets @ 38. The worst thing is that he was bad at home, 111 wickets from 27 matches @ 36. For an Indian spinner, those are unpardonable stats.
You say that but those series were better than any SENA series for both Ash and Jadeja in their careers.

subshakerz

International Coach
Yes.

In NZ, Harbi bowled them to victory in the 1st test and would have done it in the last if Defensive Dhoni didn't eat up precious time building a super high total.

In SA, Harbi bowled a key spell in the 2nd test to set up a victory, and in the last took a 7-fer. Could have even bowled them to victory if Defensive Dhoni didn't spread out the field at a key juncture to give SA relief

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes.

In NZ, Harbi bowled them to victory in the 1st test and would have done it in the last if Defensive Dhoni didn't eat up precious time building a super high total.

In SA, Harbi bowled a key spell in the 2nd test to set up a victory, and in the last took a 7-fer. Could have even bowled them to victory if Defensive Dhoni didn't spread out the field at a key juncture to give SA relief
Ashwin and Jadeja bowled key spells in series wins in Australia, not hypothetical ones that "could have" happened.

Also, the below is completely laughable:

Could have even bowled them to victory if Defensive Dhoni didn't spread out the field at a key juncture to give SA relief
Only someone who didnt watch the game would say this. Dhoni was at fault, but so was Bhajji. It took one sweep each from Kallis and Boucher for Harbhajan to lose his lines and his confidence and revert to his darts. Every time you talk about Harbhajan in your weak attempts to downplay Ashwin/Jadeja you expose your ignorance. You should stick to your strengths, like exposing kallis as an overrated fraud.

subshakerz

International Coach
Ashwin and Jadeja bowled key spells in series wins in Australia, not hypothetical ones that "could have" happened.

Also, the below is completely laughable:

Only someone who didnt watch the game would say this. Dhoni was at fault, but so was Bhajji. It took one sweep each from Kallis and Boucher for Harbhajan to lose his lines and his confidence and revert to his darts. Every time you talk about Harbhajan in your weak attempts to downplay Ashwin/Jadeja you expose your ignorance. You should stick to your strengths, like exposing kallis as an overrated fraud.
We are talking about series performances, not single spells. Harbi is NZ and SA was just more of a wicket-taker than Ash Jadeja ever were. And India did win the series in NZ, btw.

Lol @ you dismissing Harbi taking a 7-fer in SA when Ash can't buy a wicket there and doesn't have a single fifer in all of SENA, a fact that he himself cries about.

OverratedSanity

We are talking about series performances, not single spells. Harbi is NZ and SA was just more of a wicket-taker than Ash Jadeja ever were.

Lol @ you dismissing Harbi taking a 7-fer in SA when Ash can't buy a wicket there and doesn't have a single fifer in all of SENA.
Series 10 years apart with entirely different pitches/opposition have no relevance to each other just because they were played "in SA". You can pick Harbhajan over Ashwin/Jadeja in any conditions if you want to. Just be prepared to be laughed out of the room and made fun of.

subshakerz

International Coach
Series 10 years apart with entirely different pitches/opposition have no relevance to each other just because they were played "in SA". You can pick Harbhajan over Ashwin/Jadeja in any conditions if you want to. Just be prepared to be laughed out of the room and made fun of.
The point of bringing Harbi was to show that even a spinner as lowly rated as him had better series performances in SENA than Ash Jadeja.

To quote Ash: "We all talk about how important it is to enjoy your team-mates' success. And I was happy for Kuldeep. I have not been able to get a five-for but he has a five-for in Australia. I know how big it is. Even when I have bowled well [at other times], I haven't ended up with a five-for."

He knows he is not quite up there.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
There’s a potential ATG in Gudakesh Motie.
This statement was made in July of last year. It was a big call considering he had gone wicketless in his Test debut. However, in the two recent tests against Zimbabwe he has taken 19 wickets @ 13.63 - against minnows but impressive figures.
In 4 ODI appearances (v Bangladesh and India) he has performed solidly.
Definitely one to keep an eye on. Good call @SillyCowCorner1

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

This statement was made in July of last year. It was a big call considering he had gone wicketless in his Test debut. However, in the two recent tests against Zimbabwe he has taken 19 wickets @ 13.63 - against minnows but impressive figures.
In 4 ODI appearances (v Bangladesh and India) he has performed solidly.
Definitely one to keep an eye on. Good call @SillyCowCorner1
I saw this guy grow up at our club from a little kid (early 2000s) to captaining our age-level teams. I know the quality when I see it. He is a fighter.

Much better than our last two spinners to play test cricket: Devendra Bishoo* & Veerasammy Permaul

*- Yesterday, I stated that Motie was the first player from our club to having taken 10 wickets in a test match. It turns out that was not true. Bishoo was the first.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Is @subshakerz a Harbi burner? Because if so I just want to celebrate his artistic and graceful run up. The like of which will never be seen again