• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dhoni greatest OdI cricketer off all-time

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My key takeaway from this thread is that @Burgey is more a boomer than a racist since he got to triggered by Kapil being called a crap ODI player

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
That last ball run out against Bangladesh where he decided to stand with one glove off cause he knew there was a chance of them running without hitting the ball. Created that out of nothing. Was brilliant.
And the calm calculated decision to run to the wicket rather than throw the ball also showed a keen presence of mind.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
No, it's because we've been over this dozens of times. The coherent argument has been explained to you, then you just leave it, and come back a few months later saying the same thing. I can go through it all again but what would be the point? There was literally an entire thread on it.
I've never seen a coherent argument presented by you or anyone else on here regarding why batting average is a better metric than RPI in limited overs cricket.

Red

That last ball run out against Bangladesh where he decided to stand with one glove off cause he knew there was a chance of them running without hitting the ball. Created that out of nothing. Was brilliant.
And the calm calculated decision to run to the wicket rather than throw the ball also showed a keen presence of mind.
He was a clever keeper but I don't think he was particularly better than plenty of other keepers in this context.

TheJediBrah

I've never seen a coherent argument presented by you or anyone else on here regarding why batting average is a better metric than RPI in limited overs cricket.
In order for you to think that RPI is a better metric you must think that it's an advantage to get to start your innings from scratch rather than continue when you're played in and used to conditions. Personally I think you're better off being able to keep batting when you've played yourself in.
Average is a far better indicator of how good a batsman is. If you're not out then that means you haven't gotten out. Why would you still count that as the end of an innings the same as if you did get out? It's completely illogical.

TheJediBrah

@Red Hill

here's the thread:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I personally think a combination of average and strike rate (though in around a 2:5 ratio) is the most useful measure of an ODI cricketer because combining the two stats takes into account how many balls a batsman faces. The problem with rpi is that it really doesn't take into account the fact that lower order batsmen often miss out on facing a lot of balls in friendly batting conditions.

It does seem that batting at number 6 is the batting spot in the top 6 which results in the lowest batting averages but I'm not going to say it's a causative factor. Rather, my theory is that most sides bat their best batsmen higher than 6 normally.

I will also say that batting at number 6, Bevan, Dhoni and Hussey dominate the RPI stats for that position.

Red

In order for you to think that RPI is a better metric you must think that it's an advantage to get to start your innings from scratch rather than continue when you're played in and used to conditions. Personally I think you're better off being able to keep batting when you've played yourself in.
Every batsman in an ODI starts their innings from scratch. Some start when facing a brand new ball and opening bowlers, others start facing an older ball and the spinners or all-rounders.

Average is a far better indicator of how good a batsman is. If you're not out then that means you haven't gotten out. Why would you still count that as the end of an innings the same as if you did get out? It's completely illogical.
Because it gives an exact representation of how many runs you contributed to your team on that day in the role you play. As in runs scored. Whether out or not. Which goes towards determining the outcome of the match. Unlike averages, which don't do that. A cricket match is an isolated event, averages are cumulative data over multiple games. I don't know why you struggle to grasp this in terms of the efficacy of a batsman within the context of actual individual cricket matches.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

As I said earlier though, that's a very different measurement. "How many runs you contributed to the team" is not the same as "how good a batsman you are". The former depends a lot on batting position.

A guy that makes 50 every innings but is not out every second dig is clearly a better player than a guy who makes 50 every innings but gets out every time (In a hypothetical scenario where all else is equal). Yet they have contributed the same to the team.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
He was a clever keeper but I don't think he was particularly better than plenty of other keepers in this context.

Yeah, no one thinks that anything any international cricketer does can be truly unique. It's just the number of times Dhoni did it. BTW, 1 out of 5 in that video is from Dhoni himself.

As an aside: I seem to recall there was an incident where the ball was thrown to the bowler, the batsman running towards bowler end was rushing, the other batsman turned to see if his partner is safe, wicketkeeper realized this and asked the bowler to throw the ball back to wikcetkeeper, the batsman running towards non danger end was dismissed. I think the wk was Dhoni. I can't seem to find the video.

Red

As I said earlier though, that's a very different measurement. "How many runs you contributed to the team" is not the same as "how good a batsman you are". The former depends a lot on batting position.
Oh hey, you've caught up to the fact that that's what we're talking about here, Gilly's output opening vs Dhoni's in the lower middle order (with more opportunities to be not out). Welcome to the conversation.

A guy that makes 50 every innings but is not out every second dig is clearly a better player than a guy who makes 50 every innings but gets out every time. Yet they have contributed the same to the team.
This isn't correct, especially in limited overs. At all. It highlights the conversation though. Dhoni (batting at #5) is not "clearly a better player" than Gilchrist (opening) because he has more not outs. That makes no sense at all. You can see that, surely? Surely you aren't arguing that?

OverratedSanity

There have been many better openers than Gilchrist but realistically only 2 other guys are comparable to Dhoni in his role.

/thread
Gilchrist's role was as an uber attacking opener who looked for quick runs from basically ball 1. It's a specific role within the scope of openers and there definitely aren't several better than him at that role.

TheJediBrah

This isn't correct, especially in limited overs. At all. It highlights the conversation though. Dhoni (batting at #5) is not "clearly a better player" than Gilchrist (opening) because he has more not outs. That makes no sense at all. You can see that, surely? Surely you aren't arguing that?
Your comprehension is atrocious. As I said: **In a hypothetical scenario where all else is equal**

Nothing about Gilchrist v Dhoni is "all else being equal". You literally even brought up the different batting positions yourself.

fmd

srbhkshk

International Captain
I don't understand this RPI thing at all, If Bradman batted 7 in ODIs he'd average 150 with a RPI of 40. Maybe we should start comparing Dhoni to Bradman,

Red

There have been many better openers than Gilchrist but realistically only 2 other guys are comparable to Dhoni in his role.

/thread
No, you can't just roll in and say "/endthread" like it's a mike drop thing you said. lol

There aren't many better power openers than Gilchrist (if any), especially at the SR he went at. His SR was 98 as an opener. That's still higher than contemporary openers who are known power hitters, like Warner, de Kock, Sharma, Gayle and Finch. And it's not just a little higher, it's significantly higher. And he played an era and a half ago.

So no, not /thread.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Yeah and this thing about "many" better openers than Gilchrist needs to die, Tendulkar was the only definitively better opener in his time.