• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Definitive proof that not outs don't inflate batting averages

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Take any practical case and you will know. In case of Bevan you would have to assume 55 more runs every time he remained not out. Out of all the innings Bevan was dismissed he averaged 32. And out of all the innings he remained not out his runs/ innings is 42. So you are saying he would have averaged 95+ in those matches. Which is highly unlikely or I would say practically impossible.
That's precisely what will happen. Fact that Bevan averages higher in not out innings is completely in agreement with the predictions memorylessness property will make. I'm sure Bevan is not special case here. This will be true for almost all batsmen with reasonably large number of games.
So I went all geeky and performed simulation to prove this. Here's the spreadsheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N8ZtJBijVofRhdX1JnqDiyfvpzy5Xy7z/view

I assumed a hypothetical batsman B who would average 53.6 if allowed to bat endless so that that is his true average. Simulated 1000 "untruncated scores" by B assuming geometric distribution. Then simulated random – and uncorrelated to score – truncation for each of the 1000 innings. This truncation is modeled as uniform distribution between 0 and 150 assuming that's max of what B (who is uncannily similar to Bevan) would get to score ever given his batting position. Anytime "truncation limit" is smaller than "untruncated score", the innings is assumed to be not out and the truncation limit becomes the "Actual score".

Here are the results for B that have an uncanny similarity to actual figures for Bevan:

Average untruncated scores53.47
% of not outs33.4%
Average of scores that are not truncated (Out)31.02
Average of scores that are truncated (not out)43.66
Average with Outs in denominator (conventional batting average)52.92
Average additional runs that would have been scored if no truncation happened54.57
Average score in not out innings if they were allowed to be continued98.24
Average runs per innings35.25

• Average of untruncated scores is unsurprisingly close to actual average -- 53.47 vs. 53.6
  • % of not outs -- 33.4% vs. 34.2% [no reason for this to match but validates that selecting 150 as the upper limit of truncation is fair]
  • Average of scores that are not truncated or equivalent of out -- 31.02 vs. 32
  • Average of scores that are truncated or equivalent of not out -- 43.66 vs. 42
  • Average additional runs would have been scored if no truncation happened -- 54.57 vs. 53.6
  • Average score in not out innings if there was indefinite time -- 98.24 vs. 95+ you hypothesized
  • Average runs per innings -- 35.25 vs. 35.27
  • Average with only outs in denominator (conventional batting average) -- 52.92 vs. 53.6 [This is the one that shows not outs did not inflate average]

I hope no one ever again makes an argument that not outs inflate batting averages.

Last edited:

Jack1

International Debutant
I agree they don't inflate averages. Obviously there are other factors (but that wasn't your point, I agree with the not outs not inflating batting average for an individual it just doesn't make sense) like Batting lower in the order in limited overs can be bad for your average, unless you come in up top as a pinch hitter. Because you'll have to risk your wicket at the end scoring quickly and possibly risking run out. Interestingly in the men's game loads of players and teams seem to have a "protect your average" policy in which they don't run off the ball ball of the first innings which is super dumb. That's a thing the men's game can learn from the women's, the women literally don't give a damn about stats and averages I've seen more suicidal singles in the women's game in the past year (and I don't watch it much) than I've seen in the last 20 years in men's internationals and domestic cricket combined. Sometimes the risk brings an extra run or two at the end in women's cricket. This can be a factor in averages if you're a rare men's batter that always takes the risk at the end, but this sort of player is so rare I can't even think of one.

People like Kohli, Williamson, Root and players in this role..Smith.. in this era have the best chance to build a high average out of their team due to roles. Comparing average with role is important, but regardless not outs helping average for a specific role makes no sense especially when the hardest time to bat is before you're set. More not outs tends to mean you had less chance to cash in when set , so the way that averages work makes perfect sense runs divided by outs. Batting lower means you have to accelerate much sooner. The best place to bat in an ODI is probably 3 for the best chance of a high average, or a lower order batsman like Dhoni that scores overly slowly and cautiously for his individual role - i.e taking advantage of spread/defensive fields to boost his average and taking it so deep he ends up in the core of the earth if he's still there at the last over chasing. Dhoni is probably the only player I can think of that literally bats for his average. Not wanting to start a flame war here with that, we've done that before. It's just what I think - that Dhoni wants to win whilst claiming all the glory compared to a gun chaser like Bevan that didn't want to be flashy, just wanted to get the team the W. The painful thing being Dhoni can score faster (much faster and tee off sooner - more relevant to his prime), but won't/wouldn't take the risk due to fear of knocking his average. But apart from Dhoni it's incredibly rare a player has a stat pad mindset to his average. Tendulkar is arguably one, although Tendulkar mostly/predominately played to win.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
They don't inflate averages clearly because average is just run scored/dismissals.

They can clearly be misleading however.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
good thread. Shouldn't need this much proof though, common sense should suffice.

Hypothetically, and simplifying this massively into just 1 innings to demonstrate the point, why would someone who makes 60 be better than someone who makes 30 and 30*?

If anything the latter is the more difficult achievement because you had to start your innings twice.

Didn't Bill Johnston average 102 on the 53 tour with the assistance of not outs even though he couldn't bat?
sample size m8

Daemon

good thread. Shouldn't need this much proof though, common sense should suffice.

Hypothetically, and simplifying this massively into just 1 innings to demonstrate the point, why would someone who makes 60 be better than someone who makes 30 and 30*?

If anything the latter is the more difficult achievement because you had to start your innings twice.

sample size m8
Tbf the guy who hit 60 gets to bat again and only maintains an average of 60 if he scores 60 again. In which case he’s clearly done better.

TheJediBrah

Tbf the guy who hit 60 gets to bat again and only maintains an average of 60 if he scores 60 again. In which case he’s clearly done better.
key words being "hypothetically" and "simplified massively", my intention was for the example to represent careers for 100+ innings

anyway why are 2 scores of 60 indicative of a "clearly better" batsman than 30 and 30*?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Shouldn't need this much proof though, common sense should suffice.
Agree. To imagine there can be a batsman who scores same number of runs but who gets out on the last ball of each not out innings is where the flaw lies. It's not possible for such a hypothetical batsman to exist because ability to stay not out is causally related to ability to score those runs.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Naveed Nawaz averaged 99 in Test cricket, and I had never even heard of the bloke until about 5 minutes ago.

All sorts of statistical anomalies in Test history when you look hard enough

Spark

Global Moderator
Nope. I think Geometric distribution captures cricket scores best.
it's poissonian, no? obviously not perfect as there's some correlation between one innings and the next, but i thought that was relatively well-established - at least amongst the people who care about these things.