• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Chris Gayle great ?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I feel like if he'd played 50 years ago, CLR James would have written a beautifully descriptive passage about him and anyone doubting his greatness would be accused of paying too much heed to his mediocre stats.

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
Think Gayle's a bit underrated by people who only recognizze him for his t20 innings. He's at worst a good test batsman tbh. Still remember his hundreds in the series in Australia in 2009. Played an awesome 160 odd to save the game for West Indies pretty much single handedly and followed it up next game with a mad 70 ball century. He's been far better in tests than people generally give him credit for.
Thank you sir, WI cricket took a turn for the worse after that series because they took away his leadership role shortly after. WI cricket could have been much better but poor management is what really hold back our cricket. Prior to going to AUS WI had beaten ENg 1-0 over a 4 or 5 game series drawing the rest and holding on. Showing lots of fight under the leadership of Gayle. In the series against AUS Taylor (Who bowled ENG out for 47 in Kingston) only bowled 9 overs and was out due to injury and has a result Roach and Bravo were really the only two seamers for the rest of the series. WI has wasted some great natural talents over the years that i'm sure other teams would exploit for sure. It's crazy to think there is no Bravo, Pollard and Narine in this world cup - three seasoned match winning campaigners. What impact will this have on the forms of pollard and bravo ?

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
I was updating my personal list of great players and I was wondering whether to have Gayle there. I put him there ultimately with an asterix. You would put WG Grace in a list of great cricketers, so why not Gayle? WG took batting forward. We often here that he formed what modern batting is, in many ways. Gayle has taken batting forward as well. T20 batting has stretched batting to new areas. The thing is, though, that ABD is doing the same with his hitting now. Gayle's importance might diminish with time, I am not sure.

We consider Bevan a great, for sure. At least I do, for his ODI batting. However, T20 is even less important that ODIs, so I am not sure whether to consider Gayle a great or not.
Yes after Gayle I love to watch AB - but keep in mind Gayle avg over 40 in T20 and AB just avg 22, which means he is going to be the premier exponent of power hitting for awhile and bringing the game forward.
Keep in mind when Gayle ventured out in the T20 format and took it serious many people even questioned if he loves/cares about test cricket. He really made many so call serious cricketers take T20 serious and forced them to up their games were they to be competitive. Even in the IPL AB and Gayle played in the same team - Gayle would still be the key danger player and many times in partnerships with AB, AB was the one to play the supportive role lol.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
His ODI record puts him up there in that format (or at least it did a couple of years ago.) Excellent numbers in that format.

SkyBlue

U19 Debutant
Chris Gayle will be remembered long after many better players have been forgotten - that for me is the measure of greatness so yes, in the round, I would say he is

If the question were "Is he a great batsman?" then he's just too inconsistent and too much of a one trick pony - but then it is one hell of a trick, and he's certainly a great entertainer - I dare say that the bar staff at the grounds look forward to a long Gayle innings if they fancy an easy day
If i have to bring a football equivalent to fit your description,an Arjen Robben perhaps ?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I feel like if he'd played 50 years ago, CLR James would have written a beautifully descriptive passage about him and anyone doubting his greatness would be accused of paying too much heed to his mediocre stats.
Or more like Doug Walters, more women less booze.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Imagine Gayle and Viv sharing a dressing room. Would be the coolest place to be on the planet.