• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ireland and Afghanistan awarded Test status by ICC

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
4 years

So doesn't seem likely
They should relax the rules in this instance and let players from either Ireland or Afghanistan play for their countries immediately. This isn't a situation where players have chosen between two fully fledged nations and want to go back. It'd be so good if those blokes could get a gig for their countries and not have to wait the usual amount of time.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is Morgan the only well known player affected by this^

It'd be good for the sake of strengthening Ireland in the early stages of their test career
Did Kepler Wessels have a waiting period?

Burgey

Boyd Rankin maybe. Dunno what he's been doing tbh. Might have retired for all I know.

Burgey

Is Morgan the only well known player affected by this^

It'd be good for the sake of strengthening Ireland in the early stages of their test career
Did Kepler Wessels have a waiting period?
I think Kepler's waiting period had well and truly expired by the time he played for SA. IIRC he played in the rebel series at one point for Australia and the next year for SA. Those series were in 85 and 86 I believe.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It'll be interesting to see what Nick Larkin does now. He dominated domestic cricket in Ireland for a couple of seasons and even played for Ireland (realistically an Ireland A side, but called simply "Ireland") against Sri Lanka A in one match, but seemed to turn his back on all that when he broke into the NSW side. With his NSW place far from secure and Ireland getting Test status, it might cause another rethink for him.

vcs

Can Morgan represent Ireland in Tests while playing for England in the other formats? If you're going to relax the rules anyway, might as well allow that too..

TheJediBrah

They should relax the rules in this instance and let players from either Ireland or Afghanistan play for their countries immediately. This isn't a situation where players have chosen between two fully fledged nations and want to go back. It'd be so good if those blokes could get a gig for their countries and not have to wait the usual amount of time.
Definitely this, but then there's other factors to consider. For example surely Morgan's employment with England would be much more lucrative than what he'd get with Ireland? He might not want to go back to them even if he did qualify (purely speculative of course).

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Can Morgan represent Ireland in Tests while playing for England in the other formats? If you're going to relax the rules anyway, might as well allow that too..
That seems a bit too flexible imo. Would be very awkward when Ireland makes the 2019 World Cup.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah playing for two national teams at the same time will be stupid. They should relax rules for Ireland as a special case, and ask Morgain, Rankin etc. to make a choice. If they wanna stick with England, that should be fine too.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't wait for Rashid Khan in test cricket. This is the best news ever. A few weeks ago when he ripped through West Indies, I was just thinking about it and getting sad that we won't see him in Test cricket.

In the last week, I have seen more teams get test status, than my entire life before that.

Last edited:

vcs

I was watching that Rashid Khan spell on youtube yesterday. He must have created enough chances to take 20 wickets. Remarkable.

TheJammyTurtle

U19 Cricketer
Anyone that think that if Rashid is actually 18 and plays enough test cricket and plays enough tests he can threaten Muralis record?I mean,he could have as many wickets as he wants each game looking at that Afghanistan attack.

Starfighter

In tests he won't be able to rely on the googly as much to take wickets and batsmen will have more time to work him out.

Starfighter

Also there is no chance that Afghanistan play 100 tests in the next 15 years.
That's the elephant in the room.

I'd be quite interested to see what Rashid'd do in tests though. He seems to take a massive proportion of his ODI wickets with the googly and that isn't a reliable strategy for tests. I keep thinking of Qadir who was a brilliant googly bowler but ended up with a mediocre record (and a shockingly bad away record) despite his obvious skills as a bowler, and from what I've seen Qadir's legbreak is noticably better. Rashid's unfortunately only played two first class matches (although taken 20 wickets in them) so it's anybody's guess really.

Although many a batsmen these days seems to be so cruddy at playing spin that perhaps it isn't a much of a problem as I'm making out.

Last edited: