• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricket Dhaba

Best thread name

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
KL Rahul should stay at number 5-6 for India in white ball cricket. His performance in yesterday's high-stakes game was just pathetic despite what the numbers show. They were chasing 200+ and Rahul took his own sweet time in the first 10-12 overs. The task had become way too step towards the end.

thaKeLa looks stylish and can play some crazy shots but doesn't throw away the wicket(or goes all out) when things are not working, he'll just hang around and make life hell for the incoming batters who have very little time to settle in(thanks to his slow batting).

Rahul scores a lot of runs, but they aren't of much value at times coz the pacing of the innings is just so off.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rahul plays in a bubble imo. If he's on that day he scores freely regardless of match situation. Otherwise he doesn't even look to play aggressively, just sort of exists at the crease meandering about his business.

Tbf he's in that former zone quite often, but he needs to find a way to make latter less dire when he's not middling it.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Rahul plays in a bubble imo. If he's on that day he scores freely regardless of match situation. Otherwise he doesn't even look to play aggressively, just sort of exists at the crease meandering about his business.

Tbf he's in that former zone quite often, but he needs to find a way to make latter less dire when he's not middling it.
I think he should just bat lower down the order, there's no other solution to that. So many of his innings have no impact because he simply eats up all the deliveries at the start of the innings and then tries to compensate later on. Lower down the order he won't have the option to just hang around and play negatively.

cnerd123

likes this
Lokesh is probably our best white ball opener tbh, I wouldn't move him even if he does occasionally go too slowly. All batters fail and in his case failure is still runs, just not fast runs.

He needs to be paired up with some beserkers to take advantage of the powerplay.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Lokesh is probably our best white ball opener tbh, I wouldn't move him even if he does occasionally go too slowly. All batters fail and in his case failure is still runs, just not fast runs.

He needs to be paired up with some beserkers to take advantage of the powerplay.
The problem is, these kind of batters can be a liability on flat decks when you are batting first. The English team has the perfect approach to white ball cricket - if the pitch is flat, just keep attacking the bowlers because no target is safe in the current era(with 2 new balls and absolute roads).

Rahul often goes in his shell and keeps batting at a steady pace instead of maximising the score. Look at how he played in the eliminator, he was consistently hitting sixes and fours at the start of the innings, yet his score was 56 of 46 balls or something like that on a completely flat deck, the game had already slipped by then and even though his final score looked better it was more or less useless to the team. Hooda on the other hand was just going after the bowlers after the first 10-11 deliveries, he was looking to chase the target and was batting according to the run-rate unlike Rahul.

I think he can quickly turn it around with the right mindset, but sending him at 5-6 will be like a quick solution as he'll have to be more attacking at that number.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Rohit rested, Lokesh injured, I guess Pant given the nod over Hardik cuz the latter is just back from injury
Good, Pant is not captaincy material, hopefully he gets exposed and doesn't get to lead again:laugh: Hardik seemed surprisingly good in the IPL. Also, we are in a weird phase post-MSD, we have everything but are thin on good leaders. With the available resources, we don't even need anyone extraordinary, just someone who can get the basics right will do.

I am also happy that Kela was with Gambhir in LSG, Gambhir and MSD are two of the sharpest captains in the IPL history and captains/future captains working with them will only help the team in the long run.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Good, Pant is not captaincy material, hopefully he gets exposed and doesn't get to lead again:laugh: Hardik seemed surprisingly good in the IPL. Also, we are in a weird phase post-MSD, we have everything but are thin on good leaders. With the available resources, we don't even need anyone extraordinary, just someone who can get the basics right will do.

I am also happy that Kela was with Gambhir in LSG, Gambhir and MSD are two of the sharpest captains in the IPL history and captains/future captains working with them will only help the team in the long run.
KL is arguably worse than Pant as a captain. Dump them both as captain choices please

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
KL is arguably worse than Pant as a captain. Dump them both as captain choices please
I doubt that'll happen(although I wish they look past him for the leadership role). Hence I said him playing under a tactically sharp captain like Gambhir is good for Indian cricket. Also, Gambhir is pretty straightforward with the players, he would have clearly told kela that he is scoring at a thakela rate when he goes in his bubble which hurts the team's batting.

Yeah. Rohit and then Hardik, who has just proved himself well, should be the choices.
Totally agree.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
“I’m very secure in this set-up. In the last game, things didn’t go well but I felt safe after going back to the dressing room. I am thinking a bit better and am able to assess situations better,” - Karthik.

Translation: "Dravid doesn't like chopping and changing like Bevda and Kohli. So we are playing for the team and not our place in the side. "

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Kohli needs to step down from LO cricket. I can't see many replacing him Test cricket, but we have enough options for white ball cricket at the moment.

Also, he is hurting his legacy with these kind of performances, needs to simply focus on test cricket and get some big runs in future.

In LO games, Kela Rahul already puts us behind by taking his own sweet time and Pant has also barely cracked the white ball code, we will only get weaker with Kohli's conservative batting to get back in form.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
“I’m very secure in this set-up. In the last game, things didn’t go well but I felt safe after going back to the dressing room. I am thinking a bit better and am able to assess situations better,” - Karthik.

Translation: "Dravid doesn't like chopping and changing like Bevda and Kohli. So we are playing for the team and not our place in the side. "
Dravid has lot to prove. Kohli and Shastri led test cricket to new heights. Dravid right now has little to show

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Kohli needs to step down from LO cricket. I can't see many replacing him Test cricket, but we have enough options for white ball cricket at the moment.

Also, he is hurting his legacy with these kind of performances, needs to simply focus on test cricket and get some big runs in future.

In LO games, Kela Rahul already puts us behind by taking his own sweet time and Pant has also barely cracked the white ball code, we will only get weaker with Kohli's conservative batting to get back in form.
Kohli and the selectors have to treat ODIs as a chance for him to discover some form that conceivably translates to Tests. I agree he's not needed for T20s anymore but he's still arguably our best over bat in ODIs. An in-form Kohli with the WC next year will be a huge asset.