• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Board calls for scrapping of Champions Trophy

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
And the talk of having longer tours with Australia, England.

While I would love longer tours versus Australia, more frequent tours (like an annual affair versus Pakistan) would spoil the fun.

Any way that is not the real issue here.

A few years ago during the Mike Denness episode, India and South Africa played an unofficial test without the sanction of the ICC. That showed that if boards want, they can over ride the authority of the ICC even at short notice.

Now I dont like the way the ICC runs every thing - but different boards deciding whats good and whats not for them would be disastrous. Now a specific board may decide to give less importance to tests, another less important to one dayers. Such things are already happening but the randomness of the whims and fancies of the boards can increase.

A Dalmiya ruled board for example was pro Champions Trophy. The Pawar lead board does not support the idea.

Its a very disturbing aspect.

Langeveldt

Soutie
The ICC champions trophy is pretty pointless though, I mean who cares? Surely the world cup is the only proper one day trophy where all the nations are involved..

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Langeveldt said:
The ICC champions trophy is pretty pointless though, I mean who cares? Surely the world cup is the only proper one day trophy where all the nations are involved..
But since the Super-Series was put on the back-burner the ICC makes money only via the World Cup and Champions Trophy, which goes mostly towards improving non-test nations which can only be better.

Plus this India board is far too concerned with the amount of money it can make and not with cricket at all.

Despite the ICC's foul-ups i don't have any sympathy with this indian board.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Can someone tell us what has ICC done to promote/improve cricket in non-test nations ?

Autobahn

State 12th Man
It had that winter high-performance camp set up for them.

They also set up the ICC Intercontinental Cup in 2004 which importantly has three-day matches and so gives teams the only serious first-class competition a lot of them will have.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Despite the ineptitude of the ICC, I still think the authority of an overbearing board of cricket needs to exist and individual nation boards such as India's shouldn't have the ability to 'bully' the ICC in this fashion. I'm not a fan of the Champions Trophy and it definitely does reduce the 'specialness' of the World Cup. Especially the one every 4 years which occurs so close to the World Cup. The fact that there is sometimes a Champions Trophy and World Cup within 6 months of each other is too much.

I wouldn't mind it being scrapped, but the reason and fashion it could be scrapped in in this case is probably not right. Particularly if, and its a big 'if' because I don't believe too much the ICC says, the revenue earned from it goes where its needed for the improvement of the game.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently India has played most matches against minnows since 2000, so I look for more minnow bashing from team India in next 5 years.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Deja moo said:
Oh dear, I missed this story completely. Strange no one on the forums mentioned anything about the 6 new ODI teams : http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/other/content/story/231520.html Seems Test nations will have to abide by an ICC calendar for ODIs too.
I remember that being mentioned now, but forgot all about it.

As for the CT, why not replace it with a Twenty20 jamboree instead - less wear and tear on the players, and some teams would use it as a chance to rest some of the players?

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
I remember that being mentioned now, but forgot all about it.

As for the CT, why not replace it with a Twenty20 jamboree instead - less wear and tear on the players, and some teams would use it as a chance to rest some of the players?
I agree. The CT devalues the World Cup, with the winners gaining little. (Have Australia, easily the world's best team in the last 10 years, won the Champions Trophy?)

Back on topic, is the BCCI really in a position to be making these demands and suggestions given the current politicking within itself?

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
But India, which hosts the next tournament later this year, believe it dilutes the importance of the four-yearly World Cup and causes huge financial losses to the host country
Hah. I find it funny that they complain when it's their turn to host. :p

But at any rate, I agree with Marc, with the CT trophy being changed to a Twenty20 cup. The ODI's so far have been fun, especially the one with Aus and NZ.

As if the ICC is going to listen.

Last edited:

open365

International Vice-Captain
The champions trophy is pointless.

And i don't care how much money the ICC get from it.

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
good call by the indians. Next step should then be the scrapping of the world cup itself

FuzzyDuck

Cricket Spectator
open365 said:
The champions trophy is pointless.

And i don't care how much money the ICC get from it.
Too true.
A 20-20 competition is in order though, you could play the whole thing in a week.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
BlackCap_Fan said:
Hah. I find it funny that they complain when it's their turn to host. :p
I think they've also said that they want it scrapped AFTER they host this one.
Sanz said:
Apparently India has played most matches against minnows since 2000, so I look for more minnow bashing from team India in next 5 years.
That's in reference to ODIs, yeah? Because India still haven't hosted Bangladesh for a Test series...and now want to get rid of the ICC schedule.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
vic_orthdox said:
I think they've also said that they want it scrapped AFTER they host this one.
Indeed;

"We will honour our commitment to organise the Champions Trophy this year but want the tournament to be taken off the calendar in future," an Indian cricket board official told AFP on Wednesday. "Since the ICC takes away a major part of the revenue, the tournament is a financial burden on the country which hosts it.
I must've missed that paragraph. Arrgh.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
That's in reference to ODIs, yeah? Because India still haven't hosted Bangladesh for a Test series...and now want to get rid of the ICC schedule.
Yes I was talking about ODIs. Pakistan have played them most followed by India/SL.

As for the hosting test series against BD, I dont understand the big deal, India have played 3 tests in BD and basically have not deprived them of their revnue they could have earned from tours. Now compare that to like Aus, SL who have not played a single series in BD. India have played more matches in BD than any other country.