• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Batting after Sachin, Dravid, Ganguly?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
LOL @ Burgey.

You can't just replace a Tendulkar or Dravid, so we'll struggle filling those shoes for a while. But teams generally seem to always cover the tracks of their stars, and don't go into a free-fall too often.

The only concern is if they all retire in the space of one year. That would hurt,

Dissector

International Debutant
3-4 batsmen of the Laxman/Ganguly class should be possible; there is a good chance that Yuvraj and Kaif will reach that level quite soon. The real question is whether we can produce anyone of the Sachin/Dravid level. Perhaps that Pujara chap who has a made bright start to his first-class career while in his teens.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I wouldn't say good chance that Yuvraj, and especially Kaif (even though I love him :cry:) will reach Laxman's level. We can hope, and I haven't lost faith in Yuvraj yet, but I don't think you can say there's a good chance that both will be a 42+ average player who can get their team out of a crisis like VVS can.

adharcric

International Coach
I wouldn't say good chance that Yuvraj, and especially Kaif (even though I love him :cry:) will reach Laxman's level. We can hope, and I haven't lost faith in Yuvraj yet, but I don't think you can say there's a good chance that both will be a 42+ average player who can get their team out of a crisis like VVS can.
Yuvraj may still end up a decent test bat but he's certainly not someone I'd expect to be India's best in the next 5-10 years. Pujara, Sharma, Raina, Tiwary and Kohli come to mind.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I have no doubt that within the next ten year's we'll produce some top quality test class batsman.

Just the idea that there is a 'good chance' those two will be as good as Laxman is a bit optimistic. They may be, but a good chance suggests there's a fair likelihood.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
OUT: Tendulkar, Ganguly, Dravid

IN: Ghambir, Uthappa, R.Sharma
Nah man, there are better first class cricketers than Uthappa.

Uthappa is going to be a very very good ODI batsman IMO, but there are definitely a few higher in the pecking order for the longer form of the game. Uthappa has a long way to go before he gets an Indian test spot.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Who is this Badrinath fellow?? I have just spent 6 months in India but have never seen his name mentioned in the sport pages. Looks like just idle hype.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Who is this Badrinath fellow?? I have just spent 6 months in India but have never seen his name mentioned in the sport pages. Looks like just idle hype.
If you followed a bit of domestic cricket keenly, you would have heard of him.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
I have pretty high expectations from Raina, Sharma and Tiwari. Would love if Kaif made it but I don't really think he will. As it is, he needs a huge domestic season and for the incumbents to fail/retire to even get a chance.
Pujara has had a pretty good start to his career and Badrinath has been around for a while..so the batting stocks don't seem to be too bad.