• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Imran v Hadlee v Miller

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Allrounderiness ranking:

1. Miller
2. Sobers
3. Botham (on full career, #1 on peak)
4. Kallis

Engle

State Vice-Captain
An All-Rounder does not just score runs and/or capture wickets. They also have to advise, support and bring out the best in their team.
They are the glue that fills in the cracks and binds the team together. Teamwork.
As bowler, Imran mentored his fellow fasties and supported his spinners
As batsman, Imran connected with the higher order batsmen and guided/shepherded the tail

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
As overall cricketers,

1.Sobers
2. Imran
3. Hadlee
4. Kallis
5. Miller
6. Pollock
7. Botham
8. Kapil
9. Jadeja
10. Shakib

As all rounders,

1. Sobers
2. Imran
3. Kallis
4. Miller
5. Botham
6. Kapil
7. Hadlee
8. Pollock
9. Cairns
10. Shakib

Jack1

International Debutant
For me:
1. Khan 2. Hadlee 3. Miller

Picking Hadlee 1 would be understandable. Considering Wpm Miller is certainly 3rd in my view

Jack1

International Debutant
Miller is the only genuine allrounder amongst them. Hadlee was not a batsman at all, though a useful hitter at 7 or 8. Imran was only a number 7 or 8 during his prime years as a bowler. Most of his record as a batsman is due to becoming a dogged accumulator of runs late in his career.
Khan was an all rounder just look at his stats. You’re being silly. You can bat any position and still be an all rounder.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Khan was an all rounder just look at his stats. You’re being silly. You can bat any position and still be an all rounder.
If you insist on statsmongering instead of watching cricket you should know that he averaged over 50 over the last handful of years at a time when he wasn’t the main strike bowler. For most of his career he had the record of a useful number 7 or 8. As Pakistan captain you carry the weight of the world on your shoulders, but one thing he didn’t carry was the role of a genuine Test all rounder.

Flem274*

123/5
As overall cricketers,

1.Sobers
2. Imran
3. Hadlee
4. Kallis
5. Miller
6. Pollock
7. Botham
8. Kapil
9. Jadeja
10. Shakib

As all rounders,

1. Sobers
2. Imran
3. Kallis
4. Miller
5. Botham
6. Kapil
7. Hadlee
8. Pollock
9. Cairns
10. Shakib
jadeja ****ing lol. **** can do something away from home first.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
All rounders need to perform with the bat and the ball at the same time - something Imran most definitely did not do.

Pothas

He was a bowling all rounder for most of his career, still think that counts as an all rounder but it does not really matter either way.

There are so few quality actual all rounders that it is almost a myth and really in most cases the batting and bowling all rounders are better cricketers and probably more useful.

a massive zebra

International Captain
All rounders need to perform with the bat and the ball at the same time - something Imran most definitely did not do.
That's simply not true. In the four calendar years between 1980 and 1983, Imran took 134 Test wickets @ 16.35 and also averaged over 45 as a batsman with multiple test centuries.

Miller is the only genuine allrounder amongst them. Hadlee was not a batsman at all, though a useful hitter at 7 or 8. Imran was only a number 7 or 8 during his prime years as a bowler. Most of his record as a batsman is due to becoming a dogged accumulator of runs late in his career.
Just because someone bats at 7 or 8 doesn't necessarily mean they are not a genuine all rounder. During Imran's peak years as a bowler, he was averaging mid 40s with the bat, which is good enough to justify genuine all rounder status in anyone's book.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Miller's wpm ratio is pretty easily explained by the fact that Australia's teams of the era were chock full of all rounders.

In the 48 invincible sides there was always 5 and sometimes 6 bowlers in the team. Lindwall, Miller, Bill Johnston, Ern Toshack, Sam Loxton, Ian Johnson.

Miller, Lindwall, Loxton and Johnson were all very capable batsmen and probably all capable of batting in the top 6 (or at least at 7). So it was a very balanced XI.

Lindwall was the main pace weapon, Johnston and Toshack could bowl seriously long spells economically, Loxton was a change medium pacer and Johnson the spinner. So Miller's role was to just bowl quick and strike, but in short bursts. Bradman is on record saying that was the way he liked to use Miller, only 3 or 4 overs per spell.

There were times when Miller had to step it up in bowling because of injury and decimated the opposition with pace bowling.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I gave up going around in circles with people cherry picking stats years ago. Especially when the same people rubbish Ian Botham because his peak was only a few years. He certainly didn’t make multiple centuries between 80 and 83. Unless the definition of multiple is more than one. Imran is obviously a great cricketer but he didn’t carry the load of a Test all rounder.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That's simply not true. In the four calendar years between 1980 and 1983, Imran took 134 Test wickets @ 16.35 and also averaged over 45 as a batsman with multiple test centuries.
Averaging over 45 sounds good till you realise that in 25 Tests he scored 1176 runs - hardly a heavy workload.

Imran rarely, if ever put together a series where he had to put in a considerable effort with the bat whilst also having a considerable workload with the ball - it was either one or the other and that to me is not an all rounder. It's a very valuable cricketer but if you compare it to others who actually did perform with both disciplines at the same time, he comes up short.

stephen

Miller - player who will improve any side in history the most
Hadlee - the best choice for an ATXI
Imran - the player with the most impactful career (and the best post- retirement job)

Pothas

Averaging over 45 sounds good till you realise that in 25 Tests he scored 1176 runs - hardly a heavy workload.

Imran rarely, if ever put together a series where he had to put in a considerable effort with the bat whilst also having a considerable workload with the ball - it was either one or the other and that to me is not an all rounder. It's a very valuable cricketer but if you compare it to others who actually did perform with both disciplines at the same time, he comes up short.
This sort of makes out like he was sometimes a good batsman and sometimes a good bowler when he of course is actually one of the best bowler ever.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I find it interesting that some, who have provided their rated list of all-rounders, have Kallis behind either or both Imran and Hadlee. I guess bowling all-rounders who are front-line strike bowlers have more impact in terms of match winning performances. Kallis rates as a great batsman but his bowling, while more than useful, didn't have the impact of others.
I say interesting because, elsewhere, I have seen Kallis ranked above Sobers by some. I shake my head at that!

stephen

Thing is, Kallis was good enough to be a first change bowler for virtually any side in the world during his playing years. He was also an all time great batsman. That makes him one of only two guys in history that could do that job. He was something special.

I honestly think that Kallis is not only a captain's dream, but he's also a selector's dream since he gives you so much flexibility with your composition. You can go in with 4 seam bowlers and a spinner or 3 seamers and two spinners without sacrificing batting at all.

Sure, he's behind Sobers but honestly in any real side in history he's the player first or second picked.