• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If Headley and G Pollock are considered ATGS, does Adam Voges have an argument?

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Headley and Pollock have been put on pedestals for different reasons.

Headley was called the "Black Bradman" and was so far ahead of his West Indies peers as to be ranked in a class of his own.
Pollock has a certain "What if?" quality about him in that it's common to speculate what he might have achieved had in not been for the ban on South Africa. To an extent, the same could apply to Barry Richards and Mike Procter.

Voges was just a very good player who enjoyed a purple patch.

Last edited:

Raz0r6ack

U19 12th Man
Michael Hussey should've retired after 20 Tests. Jimmy Adams and Jonathan Trott as well.

I feel if Hussey had never played again after averaging 85 in his first 20 Tests due to unforseen circumstances then he would probably be held in a higher light then what he currently is.

He simultaneously was averaging over 80 in both Test and ODI cricket during the first few years of his International career.

He was phenomenal from 2005-2008.

Last edited:

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Yea then there's guys like Ramprakash and Hicks and co who obviously didn't get that early start they needed - but I don't think FC record for count for that much.

The truth is that these players didn't play enough tests for whatever reason.

SpinBin

Cricket Spectator
He piled on the runs against a poor west indies side, average in england and not much else really. Plundered 260 odd vs NZ but they were probably 6th in Tests at the time.

So no.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The last is hardly relevant: SA only played against Australia, England and NZ back then.

Also, I don't know if Sangakkara's FC average was late 30s at some point, but it was 52 at the end of his career.
That is thanks to ridiculous test average he possessed, and the hot seasons he had in UK, instead of playing tests. During his playing days he was not the best club cricketer/ The ones who averaged more in FCC however, failed badly in tests.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
and SL FC is hardly the standard we're talking about when you look at Pollock and Headley's FC averages. It was also in an era where FC cricket actually mattered for test locks.
Exactly the case. In low quality SL FCC Sanga averages late 30s. In tests late 50s. He goes to UK county and averaged 60+. Proves my case more.

Jack1

International Debutant
I would say yes if he had balanced stats. But he failed against 3 nations out of 5. He averaged 529 vs West Indies and 99 vs NZ. Those stat padded him massively. All test matches mean something important I would agree (hence you have a right to make the thread), but evidently batting like trash (or close to trash) against 3 teams isn't ideal in the slightest considering his overall average and therefore we kind of forced to completely ignore him in serious discussion regardless of anything else. If you remove WI and still keep the monster average vs NZ in there he only averages 41 in 15 matches which gives perspective how much the 529 average vs WI is helping. No doubt those are real nice stats, but perspective kinda destroys them (especially if you try to bring his FC average into the mix, though one could try to argue he is a statistical outlier but it doesn't hold much weight considering what I've now written prior).