• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If convicted will he ever play international cricket again?

Asif's future ?

• Total voters

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
WADA have no power to influence this, as Pakistan do not subscribe to them. Nor, UIMM, is there any general line of connection within the game of cricket.
I'm pretty sure that Australia and India are both signatories to WADA.

In fact, I'd be pretty sure that the ICC is, so all internationals are tested. But for domestic, that depends on whether or not the board is a WADA signatory.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think they are, yeah. But there is no power to intertwine all forms of testing. And mostly cricket boards aren't happy with other cricket boards or I$C$C interfering in their own "internal" matters.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I think they are, yeah. But there is no power to intertwine all forms of testing. And mostly cricket boards aren't happy with other cricket boards or I$C$C interfering in their own "internal" matters.
Actually they are supposed to go with the ICC policy if they want to be under the ICC umbrella.
Dick Pound said:
The World Anti-Doping Agency chief criticized the lifting of doping bans on two Pakistani cricketers as ``aberrational'' and said individual federations had to play by international rules.

``It is certainly aberrational to have a national federation telling the international federation what rules it is going to apply in something like doping,'' Montreal-based WADA chairman Dick Pound said in an interview Friday with The Associated Press.

``This is typical of the reason why you need WADA. You have different rules applied in different cases.''
This regarding the orginal failure that he got away with.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know they're supposed to - there's quite a few things that I$C$C is, in theory, supposed to do, and that cricket followers constantly expect it to do, that in reality it has little power to actually do.

Witness people who don't really know anything much about cricket politics saying stuff along the lines of "the ICC shouldn't let the BCCI do such-and-such". Or similar.

simsam83

Cricket Spectator
Ban him this time??????????

In my opinion he will definitely play again. He is just under 26 and has a lot of time to play again.

But we will see the old drama once again. PCB is not keen to help asif this time, and they will definitely want to BAN him for life time but due to political and people pressure they will reverse their decision from life ban to 5 years, then to 2 years, but i think they give him atleast 1 year Ban to give him some lesson to learn. I hope they will not leave him this time.​

It is a Great loss for team like Pakistan, but it is our own fault. we have to learn from our mistakes.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
according to wada rules, the player's identity is not supposed to be released until after testing the "b" sample. this makes it more likely that the scumbag asif will get off free because of this technicality.
In India (and I am sure elsewhere too) it is common practice for law enforcement authorities to bungle such matters (with very sophisticated deliberation I may add) and weaken their own cases for prosecuting the 'culprit' so weak that they (the prosecution, always lose.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The choices are not adequate. PCB WILL act like morons, will let him play after, maybe a small period of suspension and still claim that they have dealt with the matter as per international regulations.

The options should have been different.

1. Will Asif be banned for life?
2. Will Asif get a minor sentence and miss just a few games?
3. Will Asif go scotfree for 'lack of evidence'?
4. Will Pakistan Govt. award Asif the highest civilian award for bringing such glory to the game and his fatherland ?​
:dry:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
In my opinion he will definitely play again. He is just under 26 and has a lot of time to play again.

But we will see the old drama once again. PCB is not keen to help asif this time, and they will definitely want to BAN him for life time but due to political and people pressure they will reverse their decision from life ban to 5 years, then to 2 years, but i think they give him atleast 1 year Ban to give him some lesson to learn. I hope they will not leave him this time.​

It is a Great loss for team like Pakistan, but it is our own fault. we have to learn from our mistakes.
Aha. I should immediately spread the word around to the youngster's in my friend Maninder's academy. If you are around 20 or younger, go ahead and take any substance you want, you are young, you are allowed !

Brilliant !!!

simsam83

Cricket Spectator
Aha. I should immediately spread the word around to the youngster's in my friend Maninder's academy. If you are around 20 or younger, go ahead and take any substance you want, you are young, you are allowed !

Brilliant !!!
I don't want to encourage young players to take such drugs, but i was talking about asif's case.

He is young and he can come back after the BAN, but if a player Ban for 2,3 or 5 years what do you think what are the chances for him to get back into the team??

In this highly competitive world, players don't want to miss a series, otherwise someone else can take theirplace. Only players of shane warne caliber can come back into the team after the ban.

andmark

International Captain
For God's sake it's the PCB
It's very obvious they will let him play if he is.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I don't want to encourage young players to take such drugs, but i was talking about asif's case.

He is young and he can come back after the BAN, but if a player Ban for 2,3 or 5 years what do you think what are the chances for him to get back into the team??

In this highly competitive world, players don't want to miss a series, otherwise someone else can take theirplace. Only players of shane warne caliber can come back into the team after the ban.
If that bothered Asif and if, along with that he believed that he could be caught and if caught he may not play for five years, he would not have been in the docks for a second time.

Its the impunity of these guys that is so sickening a commentary on the inefficacy of those supposed to take action against them.

Trust me my friend, I have nothing against Asif. I am one of those who believes him to be the finest youngster to emerge in world cricket in the last 5-6 years and he is a bowler of great talent. Its an absolute pleasure to watch him bowl against the best batsmen in the world.

But I love the game a bit too much to allow my feelings for an individual to smoke my thinking on what is right and what is not.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
For God's sake it's the PCB
It's very obvious they will let him play if he's
Well they are making all the right noises so far.
Asif suspended by Pakistan board
Cricinfo staff
July 15, 2008

Mohammad Asif has been suspended by the Pakistan board for testing positive for a banned substance during random drug tests conducted during the Indian Premier League. To make it worse for Asif, the Pakistan board has refused to assist him in the matter, though he has the right to appeal against the suspension.

"Asif has been suspended until the drug tribunal of the IPL completes its inquiry," Shafqat Naghmi, the PCB's chief operating officer, said. "For the time being he is suspended from playing all forms of the game until further decision which includes the right of appeal."

The board also said it would go by the decision taken by the IPL's drug tribunal. "Since Asif competed in a tournament outside Pakistan, we will honour the findings of the IPL drug tribunal and will assist them if required," Naghmi said.

He also explained the PCB's decision to not provide assistance to Asif. "Our policy on dope offenders is very clear," he told The News. "The board will not provide any kind of help to Asif and he will have to fight his case himself. The player seems to be in a lot of trouble. A second drug offence means a life ban."

If he is left to fight for himself this time, it will signal a distinct change in the board's policy. In 2006, Asif and Shoaib Akhtar had their bans overturned after successfully appealing to an independent committee against the original punishments. Though they escaped on a technicality, it was widely speculated that the decision had the PCB's complicit support.

Asif, who said he was "shocked and surprised" at failing the test, has asked for his B sample to be examined. "We will fight the case because we believe that our client has not taken any drug so we will go for the B sample test and do whatever required to clear Asif's name," his lawyer Shahid Karim told AFP.

This is Asif's second drug offence since failing a dope test before the Champions Trophy in 2006, and the board has warned that a life ban is possible if he is found guilty. Last month he was detained in Dubai for 19 days under suspicion of possessing a contraband substance and is already the subject of a board inquiry into those events.

While the PCB has chosen to distance itself from the current controversy, it hasn't stopped former Pakistan cricketers from lashing out at its functioning. Aamer Sohail, a former captain, has blamed the board for not taking appropriate action against doping after Asif and Shoaib tested positive for Nandrolone, a banned substance, in 2006.

"My question is, what has the PCB done in this regard," Sohail told the News. "What measures did the board take since Asif and Shoaib Akhtar tested positive for banned drugs in 2006? Did they introduce dope testing in domestic cricket? The board has totally failed to handle things.

"The last two years have been the worst for Pakistan cricket and the situation will get worse if no action is taken."

The IPL had announced on Monday that Asif's sample was positive after comparing the result from the WADA-approved laboratory in Switzerland [that tested the samples] with the data collected by IDTM, the Sweden-based independent agency that organised the tests.

Asif played eight of the Delhi Daredevils' 15 matches in the IPL, and shared the new ball alongside Glenn McGrath.​

But one cant help sharing Sohail's anguish.

andmark

International Captain

The options should have been different.

1. Will Asif be banned for life?
2. Will Asif get a minor sentence and miss just a few games?
3. Will Asif go scotfree for 'lack of evidence'?
4. Will Pakistan Govt. award Asif the highest civilian award for bringing such glory to the game and his fatherland ?​
:dry:
1. Shoaib Akhtar should have. So why not Asif?
2. Possibly
3. If there isn't much evidence, yes.
4. Never in 1000 years

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan announces preliminary squad for Champions Trophy

Preliminary squad:
Shoaib Malik (capt), Misbah-ul Haq (vice-captain), Salman Butt, Nasir Jamshed, Khalid Latif, Ahmed Shehzad, Khurram Manzoor, Yasir Hameed, Younis Khan, Azhar Ali, Bazid Khan, Shahid Afridi, Sohail Tanvir, Fawad Alam, Mohammad Hafeez, Yasir Arafat, Mansoor Amjad, Shoaib Akhtar, Umar Gul, Mohammad Ali, Iftikhar Anjum, Sohail Khan, Abdur Rauf, Wahab Riaz, Anwar Ali, Mohammad Aamer, Kamran Akmal, Sarfraz Ahmed, Abdur Rehman, Saeed Ajmal

simsam83

Cricket Spectator
If that bothered Asif and if, along with that he believed that he could be caught and if caught he may not play for five years, he would not have been in the docks for a second time.
Yes, you are 100 % right. When their is no system, you can always expect such things. I always believe in fair play.

PCB has to take some strict action this time, but you should realise that in sub-continent, boards are always influenced by politics and public opinion. But for the spirit of the game I want Strict action against Asif, if found guilty.

jammay123

State 12th Man
Imo he will be banned for life at first then on appeal it will be reduced to four or five years. he will then like shoaib again appeal and get a 12 month ban will probably again apeal and will be given a ferrari full of crack by the pcb for trying to ban him at all:ph34r:

andmark

International Captain
Pakistan announces preliminary squad for Champions Trophy

Preliminary squad:
Shoaib Malik (capt), Misbah-ul Haq (vice-captain), Salman Butt, Nasir Jamshed, Khalid Latif, Ahmed Shehzad, Khurram Manzoor, Yasir Hameed, Younis Khan, Azhar Ali, Bazid Khan, Shahid Afridi, Sohail Tanvir, Fawad Alam, Mohammad Hafeez, Yasir Arafat, Mansoor Amjad, Shoaib Akhtar, Umar Gul, Mohammad Ali, Iftikhar Anjum, Sohail Khan, Abdur Rauf, Wahab Riaz, Anwar Ali, Mohammad Aamer, Kamran Akmal, Sarfraz Ahmed, Abdur Rehman, Saeed Ajmal
Yeah sorry about that.

simsam83

Cricket Spectator
Originally Posted by simsam83

But we will see the old drama once again. PCB is not keen to help asif this time, and they will definitely want to BAN him for life time but due to political and people pressure they will reverse their decision from life ban to 5 years, then to 2 years, but i think they give him atleast 1 year Ban to give him some lesson to learn. I hope they will not leave him this time.

It is a Great loss for team like Pakistan, but it is our own fault. we have to learn from our mistakes
Imo he will be banned for life at first then on appeal it will be reduced to four or five years. he will then like shoaib again appeal and get a 12 month ban will probably again apeal and will be given a ferrari full of crack by the pcb for trying to ban him at all:ph34r:
Already mentioned the same thing buddy. you also understand How PCB works.