• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC rule changes due to covid

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why is the number of reviews increasing a thing?
Having seen other sporting bodies deal with this before the ICC, there's definitely been an element of "well we kind of wanted to do this before but didn't want to rock the boat too much, but now that rule changes are on the table..." to quite a few of the changes across various sports. I think this is cricket's version of that.

cnerd123

likes this
i think it's to do with non-neutral umpires too.

I don't think anyone's going to abuse the COVID-19 replacements rule. Would be in incredibly bad taste to do so. But I do wonder who makes the call on that. Match referee? Or is it up to the team management?

Would be good if they had a doctor on hand at the ground to determine whether or not someone is showing symptoms at every break in play.

Has the ICC made it mandatory that all players be tested and cleared prior to a game?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is the additional logo so a link to the home country's covid app can be advertised?

Spark

Global Moderator
i think it's to do with non-neutral umpires too.

I don't think anyone's going to abuse the COVID-19 replacements rule. Would be in incredibly bad taste to do so. But I do wonder who makes the call on that. Match referee? Or is it up to the team management?

Would be good if they had a doctor on hand at the ground to determine whether or not someone is showing symptoms at every break in play.

Has the ICC made it mandatory that all players be tested and cleared prior to a game?
If it's anything like the concussion sub rule the application for a substitution is all done by the doctors and has to be approved by the match referee.

Daemon

Having seen other sporting bodies deal with this before the ICC, there's definitely been an element of "well we kind of wanted to do this before but didn't want to rock the boat too much, but now that rule changes are on the table..." to quite a few of the changes across various sports. I think this is cricket's version of that.
I think TJB's point is the main reason, tbh.
yep

Neutral umpires will not be officiating in Tests for the first time since 2002. The CEC agreed that "owing to the current logistical challenges" home umpires would stand in all three formats. The local umpires would be picked from the ICC's Elite Panel and International panel of match officials.

In order to remove the perception of bias, the cricket committee had recommended that an additional review should be granted to each team in every format, which the CEC has ratified. "The CEC has also confirmed an additional unsuccessful DRS review for each team in each innings of a match, keeping in mind that there may be less experienced umpires on duty at times. This will increase the number of unsuccessful appeals per innings for each team to three for Tests and two for the white-ball formats."

Daemon

no one reads my posts do they

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Replacements being like for like are down to the judgement of the match referee, the process will be identical to concussion subs.

The Smith to Labu substitution is probably going to remain the most like to like replacement ever possible.
Conversely, reminds me of that game where Bangladesh had to make two concussion subs and had no reserve batsmen, meaning Mehidy Hasan was the closest to like-for-like they had to replace Liton Das (and was banned from bowling as a result).

Daemon

Conversely, reminds me of that game where Bangladesh had to make two concussion subs and had no reserve batsmen, meaning Mehidy Hasan was the closest to like-for-like they had to replace Liton Das (and was banned from bowling as a result).
Man imagine if Mehidy Hasan was replaced by one of the two other Mehidy Hasans

Shady Slim

International Coach
i like the neutral umpires, why are all of you so happy with it being removed? i suppose that DRS theoretically mitigates the bias issue?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't think anyone is particularly happy about neutral umpires being removed, I am still hoping it is a temporary fix for the covid situation. Whatever be the issues, it saves unnecessary accusations of bias and other things and with DRS there to help with the howlers, I would hope we go back to neutral umpires whenever things can go back to the normal.

Last edited:

Daemon

Neutral umpires will not be officiating in Tests for the first time since 2002. The CEC agreed that "owing to the current logistical challenges" home umpires would stand in all three formats. The local umpires would be picked from the ICC's Elite Panel and International panel of match officials.

In order to remove the perception of bias, the cricket committee had recommended that an additional review should be granted to each team in every format, which the CEC has ratified. "The CEC has also confirmed an additional unsuccessful DRS review for each team in each innings of a match, keeping in mind that there may be less experienced umpires on duty at times. This will increase the number of unsuccessful appeals per innings for each team to three for Tests and two for the white-ball formats."
Actually on second reading, Cricinfo's added their own twist to this in terms of the bolded. The real reason seems to be that it's because they'll be using local umps that may not be as good, as opposed to being biased.

Bijed

International Regular
I'm actually not bothered by the removal of neutral umpires from a sporting POV, I have enough faith in their integrity and DRS gives you the means to basically nullify biased umpiring as long as you're not careless with using it. I'm more worried about, from a sanity whilst using the internent perspective, the potential for media (and more likely social media) ****storms if something happens that could be remotely interpreted as biased

Last edited:

trundler

I don't think a Shakoor Rana would last these days because of how far professional standards have come. I doubt an umpire on the elite panel would display any patriotism. Incompetence being misconstrued as such would be a media **** storm though, yeah.