• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC rule changes due to covid

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The conversation was probably more along the lines of

"Do we remove Joel from the panel?"

"No we'll introduce an extra DRS and blame the virus."

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'm actually not bothered by the removal of neutral umpires from a sporting POV, I have enough faith in their integrity and DRS gives you the means to basically nullify biased umpiring as long as you're not careless with using it. I'm more worried about, from a sanity whilst using the internent perspective, the potential for media (and more likely social media) ****storms if something happens that could be remotely interpreted as biased
and each of those armchair complaints about bias themselves being completely biased, of course.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah from 2004 tour. Was a pretty stock standard offie, don't think he chucked it but maybe he did a bit but you just didn't notice next to Murali.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I like how rule #1 is Covid specific. Oh your player has rabies? Well too ****ing bad. Frothing at the mouth ain't a Covid symptom, they play on mate.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I also specify rabies because the only way Tim Southee would take the time to actually show a bit of caution with a bat is if it ****ing bit him first.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I also specify rabies because the only way Tim Southee would take the time to actually show a bit of caution with a bat is if it ****ing bit him first.
No one in NZ has ever had any confidence around the self control of Tim Southee and a bat.

I read today (yesterday?) in the Herald that he never saw himself as an all-rounder. So much more the issue. He felt the 77 on debut was a rod for his own back rather than, you know, a sign that he actually could bat if he consistently made the effort.

Flem274*

123/5
he's right tbh. he was always correct to focus on his bowling. amazing eye but doesn't like it up him and has probably never built an innings in his life at the senior levels. he'd need so much work to get up to proper #8 standard, and that would be time not spent on his bowling.

in that 2012-wc 2015 period he was insanely good. never got the plaudits because we're not cool and we were playing at midnight nz time half the time, and him peaking at like 25 years old is pretty frustrating. if he was still the same bowler he'd be on at least 350 wickets by now.

Shady Slim

International Coach
think much would be different if he were just coming in to the team now or around 2019ish when y'all were second in the world and he didn't have the weight of expectations put on him so much or?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
he's right tbh. he was always correct to focus on his bowling. amazing eye but doesn't like it up him and has probably never built an innings in his life at the senior levels. he'd need so much work to get up to proper #8 standard, and that would be time not spent on his bowling.

in that 2012-wc 2015 period he was insanely good. never got the plaudits because we're not cool and we were playing at midnight nz time half the time, and him peaking at like 25 years old is pretty frustrating. if he was still the same bowler he'd be on at least 350 wickets by now.
We'll agree to disagree on that. A batting average of 17, batting at 8 and 9 the majority of his career, is a disgrace for a guy of his ability. And it was the way he went about it as well.

He was insanely good in that period, but he's had equal troughs with his peaks in his career. All caused by motivation issues, which speaks to his batting too. He'd be on 350 wickets if he had've truly wanted it, and grown up quicker.

Fortunately he's matured now, and his outstanding summer last year owed to it. He's actually a senior head now (even though McCullum has erroneously called him that for years) and is performing like it. Good on him. I was there in Napier in 2008 and I guess I've enjoyed his highs and been frustrated as **** with his lows as a result, because I saw that performance and how he was dominating FC cricket in his teens, and knew he could be anything if he wanted to be. He may well have a few more years in him, but you'd have to think the diminishing pace and the lack of upcoming international games might not help.