• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC could use 'timeless' Test for World Championship final

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We can't allow this for happen, Cook and Trott racking up 900 against India after Zaheer injures himself in the lead up to the match would no doubt drive thousands to suicide, ending Test cricket for all.
Would take at least 4 days, with Dhoni's defensive fields.

Spark

Global Moderator
The problem with that is that there'll always be one team that'll take a draw, and that doesn't generally make for the best cricket. Not sure how you'd get round it though, unless you could just have a replay.
Yeah this has happened occasionally in the Shield final which is the most directly comparable case. One side that only needs a draw gets a nice road at home and bats on... and on... and on... and on.

Six days with a proper five-day pitch is good enough IMO. The sixth day being primarily there to just finish things off. Of course, this is predicated on the assumption that you don't want draws....

Howe_zat

Audio File
The favoured venue being Lord's is probably the main reason we're having this discussion, actually. We're getting a batsman's wicket whether anyone wants that or not.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
We can't allow this for happen, Cook and Trott racking up 900 against India after Zaheer injures himself in the lead up to the match would no doubt drive thousands to suicide, ending Test cricket for all.
Nah, Cook and Trott will only watch from the stands Tendulkar going past Lara's 400 against Steyn and co. (and chasing Sehwag's 523 scored earlier in the same match :) )

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Tell the batsmen that the run rate has to be consistently above 4 or the bomb on the team bus explodes.

Now I reckon finding a way to make sure the rest of the team stay on the team bus while their batsmen are batting at the ground is the tricky part to ensuring the success of this plan.

Himannv

International Coach
Not sure what to make of this tbh. I reckon the best thing is to actually do it and see how it goes.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Elect a panel of judges. The judges give a score for each team each day out of ten; if one team had a slightly better day, they might win 10-9 that day for example. if they had a considerable advantage, 10-8. And so on.

If neither side can knock I mean bowl the other out in five days, the judges determine the winner, so a team who is ahead with at least two judges takes the title.

If the judges scores wind up in a tie, then the team with most sixes wins

If this is a tie, the team with the fastest average delivery wins

If this is a tie, the team supported by the member with the highest post count on CW wins

If this is a tie, whoever Jono wanted to win loses.

Any questions?

TumTum

Banned
If it's a draw in 5 days, add an additional innings for extra 2 days, keep going till somebody wins.

DingDong

State Captain
what sort of idiotic idea is this? time limits are an important part of the game taking that away makes it a whole different format. strategies like accelerating the scoring setting defensive fields batting for time are important parts of test cricket and by making it timeless u take away all those important elements of the game. and u take away the most important and unique element of test cricket..the draw.

its totally stupid to take away the time limit to find the 5 day champions. and plus no test can ever be truly timeless don't the 2 final teams have nothing in their schedules for the rest of infinity???

AM I THE ONLY GUY WHO SEES THIS?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
An accountants' move imo. How do you make even more cash from selling a five day game to TV? Make it last longer of course.

Beyond that, I don't even see the point of the top 4 playing a mini-tournament anyway. Surely the whole point of being number 1 is that you've proved it over a longish peiod of time. It's all going to be pretty meaningless if the side finishing 3rd or 4th ends up winning the thing because they played well over a handful of matches at the end. On the plus side, I'd love to see Ferguson's face when someone puts it to him that the EPL should be decided like this.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Elect a panel of judges. The judges give a score for each team each day out of ten; if one team had a slightly better day, they might win 10-9 that day for example. if they had a considerable advantage, 10-8. And so on.

If neither side can knock I mean bowl the other out in five days, the judges determine the winner, so a team who is ahead with at least two judges takes the title.

If the judges scores wind up in a tie, then the team with most sixes wins

If this is a tie, the team with the fastest average delivery wins

If this is a tie, the team supported by the member with the highest post count on CW wins

If this is a tie, whoever Jono wanted to win loses.

Any questions?
Agree with all as long as the judges are chosen from among the Bollywood item girls through a Dance TV Reality show on Sony TV in India by sms voting only by Indian viewers...